Asynchronous Combat Abilities Usage

Sensuki: Some of that I already knew, but not all of it. Cool stuff! :)

Perhaps this is a blunt question: But why did Josh & Co opt for a system fit for a Moba game, where you control one character in RT only, and then apply this on six party members in a RTwP? Are there any benefits from this at all?

Because original BG1 was based on popular RTS games at the time so OE decided to base PoE on popular RTS games at this time. I don't mind these changes, but recovery time needs to go. If the game actually played smoothly like Warcraft 3 or DOta 2, but with more units and lots of crazy abilities it would be crazy fun. But damage output for all units (both our and enemy) needs to be dialed down to accomplish this. Nobody should be dying in 4-5 seconds. I don't want super long battles of Warcraft 3 either but something in between. 

There's an issue with a few things there. 

mid-range length recovery time is more "IE" than Warcraft 3 & DotA, the issue could either be base unit deflection values, as currently they're all low -  but then again, you're using an underpowered party in the beta

the second is that maybe classes dont get enough health/stamina as a base/per level

Completely eliminating recovery time and tuning all values to match, including base damages and armor values, would probably result in a smoother experience. I am NOT 100% that it would result in a better experience though. Not saying I think its a bad idea, just that it would turn Pillars into a very different game

They actually never used to have recovery time, it's something they added in earlier this year because the gameplay felt (by description) like Arcanum RTWP - aka really bad.

I think recovery time is fine, could use to be shorter overall.

One thing I haven't done enough of is play with good gear - magical items and stuff, and see how the beta encounters feel with those.

Edited by Sensuki

Completely eliminating recovery time and tuning all values to match, including base damages and armor values, would probably result in a smoother experience. I am NOT 100% that it would result in a better experience though. Not saying I think its a bad idea, just that it would turn Pillars into a very different game

I think cooldowns for all actions can work. I think it's good to see them try and evolve beyond the legacy of PnP where uniform & synchronous turns were necessary. It is going to require extremely delicate balancing--a monumental task. Every weapon, ability, and spell will need to be meticulously mapped to a "Grande Chart of Power" so that their relations can be understood and given proper activation/cooldown times. If they do anything less than that, I believe that this concept will fail.

They actually never used to have recovery time, it's something they added in earlier this year because the gameplay felt (by description) like Arcanum RTWP - aka really bad.

Yikes. That's very interesting. Where did you read that?

Edited by Mr. Magniloquent