Is confusion pointless?

thelee

So I just started messing around with the backer beta, and one thing is a head-scratcher for my wizard.

Never mind hte fact that it seems like area of effect and range don't seem to scale well with each other with Intelligence (so I keep hitting myself because my wizard runs too close and casts a spell that affects him), or also the fact that the game is really inconsistent about what spells are party-friendly or not...

but man, what's the point of confusion status effect? When I enter the Beetle-filled area to the east, what invariably happens is:

BB Fighter engages 2-3 beetles.

CHARNAME runs close and casts confusion (that 2nd level spell that has sparkles for its icon).

Combat log shows confusion is successful.

Beetles proceed, in their confusion, to walk over to CHARNAME and engage him in melee.

Within seconds CHARNAME is knocked out.

Never mind the fact that the close range means that I have very little time to run away or that the Beetles have some magical teleporting power to engage CHARNAME from a character circle away, but what's the point of confusion if all it does is cause enemies to disengage from my tank and attack my fragile character(s)?

• Like 1

Haha. So they're supposed to get a bargeload of attacks of opportunity against them, never really picking soft or hard targets, possibly attacking friendlies. I think, like everything else in this game, that it's not a brilliant strategy all of the time.

(Except for firewall. Firewall is always brilliant.)

• Like 1

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

Haha. So they're supposed to get a bargeload of attacks of opportunity against them, never really picking soft or hard targets, possibly attacking friendlies. I think, like everything else in this game, that it's not a brilliant strategy all of the time.

(Except for firewall. Firewall is always brilliant.)

So... since I'm new, is there something special I need to do to get these attacks of opportunity? It always seems like only the enemies get these attacks of opportunity against my squishy wizards when they try to flee, yet in this case when the beetles disengage from my tank, they seem to be able to quickly hop over to my CHARNAME without any consequences.

A duck!

..no, wait. A character with relatively high perception stats. Fighters and barbarians also have the "awesomedefence" thing, so they can engage more than the normal limit of enemies at the same time. 

But the beetles are really difficult to kill because of their damage resistance, sheer amount of damage on each hit, and insane speed.. 

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!