Cap'n, I cannae find me mojo!

Ink Blot

Just a fun little report on my latest... experience.

Heh, I was trying another run on Normal and rolled up Dwarf Fighter. Nothing fancy. Immediately added a Nature Godlike Chanter to the party and off we went. Grabbed some XP and leveled by doing the Nyfre quest as well as the Dragon Egg quest. Killed everyone involved in the Nyfre quest, gathered up all the loot I could find and grabbed the greatsword and wand from the weapons merchant as well as the two belts from the tanner (before killing him and his pal and taking their loot too). Stripped off the ranged attackers, and gave them the best ranged weapons I could find.

So there we were, heading into the Ogre cave. I sent old BB Fighter up to draw that northern group of spiders and then the spell casting and ability bombing began. Before I knew it... TPK. Now, this is the second run in a row that those spiders have done me in. It wasn't just the poison (I tried compensating for it). I don't know what the hell happened there, and couldn't read the logs to find out because as soon as the party went down, the game crashed.

Now, in all the other runs I've done except the latest two, the spiders haven't given me that much difficulty. There have been a couple where I blew through them and a couple where it was touch and go with the big group around the queen, but this... this is just evil. I'm scared to go back into that cave. Don't make me do it! Hold me.

So it seems I've misplaced my mojo. Anyone seen it lying around anywhere?

• Like 4

Petrify. They have some dumb status effect called Petrify that doesn't actually Petrify, I think it paralyzes you and you take direct health damage. The first time I attacked the spiders in the cave my main PC ran in first and was killed instantly.

• Like 2

laughed out loud.  I wouldn't worry, though.  I think you received a universe correcting ass kicking that crashed the game and set things right.  Now when you go in, the spiders will be gone.  Instead, there will be an army of gibberlings waiting to put the smack on you.  <.<

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

To be serious for a sec, I had my priest spam out her spell that removes and prevents adverse status effects.  That might have been what did the trick.  I didn't think of other stuff.  I was just worried about standard poison.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Petrify. They have some dumb status effect called Petrify that doesn't actually Petrify, I think it paralyzes you and you take direct health damage. The first time I attacked the spiders in the cave my main PC ran in first and was killed instantly.

Yeah, that's when he hits you with that big chunk of crystal as an opening salvo, yes? Funny thing is, I've survived that numerous times. I even had the priest cast Consecrated Ground as well as the Supress Affliction spell (although I think she may have died before I got that one off). What really threw me is I had killed the two small ones as well as the Widowmaker and only had the Crystal spider left.

The only character dirt napping at that point was BB Fighter. I was lining up spells, hit the space bar to start the action again and all of a sudden 4 more party members pull a face plant and now only poor old BB Wizard left to try to deal with Shelob. Being the nudist he is, he was starting to show signs of nervousness. I think he may even have soiled his Grimoire. In the end he only got off one more action before he ended up shuffling off the mortal coil as well. An ignominious end for those poor intrepid fools. I'm pretty sure the next group into that cave is going to find an assortment of human and humanoid bones in that big stack in the Ogre's cavern...

• Like 2

Paralyzed and Petrified are two different status effects. The description of Petrify is something along the lines of 'turns you temporarily into stone.' It is supposed to be extremely nasty.

It feels wrong though. Petrification isn't supposed to be temporary. I know it goes against Josh's no-hard-counters/no-death-effects philosophy and all, but it just feels wrong. Either make it permanent, no-hard-counters be damned, and give us a number of ways to de-petrify them, sigh regretfully and merge it with Paralyzed, or name it something else.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

"Petrify" seems like yet another non-fitting ability name, along with that "Teleport through earth". I really hope you're making a list of those in some of your magical updates later. There are probably more of those lying around.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Yeah I made a post about this in the bug forum way way way long time ago (like day one of beta).  Pretty sure Junta also posted about this and got told it was "working as intended" to which we both responded "uh you better change your intent jolly fast then". 

Basically it is the old "additional effect" gag again where when you get hit you take 400% health damage.  Of course the opening hit does something insane like I got one for 67 damage once (not even a crit) so I took 67 health damage on the same attack that caused the petrify in the first place.  Go fig the next hit killed the character, like dead dead, not stamina knocked out.

Specifically the crystal spiders do this effect, and it is a side effect of their straight up hit.  It is not a special move or anything fancy.  Petrify is just the name of the effect that it causes.  Though I agree the name should be changed to be more in line with the effect.  Something like "You have been afflicted with Bend Over and Take It" would be appropriate.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 4

Paralyzed and Petrified are two different status effects. The description of Petrify is something along the lines of 'turns you temporarily into stone.' It is supposed to be extremely nasty.

It feels wrong though. Petrification isn't supposed to be temporary. I know it goes against Josh's no-hard-counters/no-death-effects philosophy and all, but it just feels wrong. Either make it permanent, no-hard-counters be damned, and give us a number of ways to de-petrify them, sigh regretfully and merge it with Paralyzed, or name it something else.

Sorry for double post but lets be honest, this effect is so stupidly OP right now it is a hard counter. 

You have to lock down/cc the Crystal spiders and kill them before they do anything because if you don't and they land one hit the person they hit is going to have a 50/50 of getting petrify.  If you get the petrify effect and ANYTHING is targeting you then you have about a 2 second life span.  Why?  Because not only are you taking 400% health damage, as in you get hit for 50 you take 50 health damage (unless you are a barb :p), but you can't move, which means all attacks auto hit, and I believe your DT is basically either ignored or lowered noticeably.

• Like 2

Yeah, please let them be called "burrow and "paralyze". No need for hyperbole ability names, and the more to the point, the better. Josh seems like a down-to-earth RPG-guy who prefers things pretty straight on in his systems, cf. Fallout: New Vegas. So, the big question: Who has come up with these silly names? Tim Cain?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I find it odd that people are completely okay with a spider being able to petrify someone, but find the idea that it might be reversible completely insane(Even though it is reversible in the IE games...).

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I don't understand what you are talking about there. The petrify in Pillars of Eternity is not a real petrify. It's simply a slightly different paralyze that they have named Petrify for some reason, probably just to be different. The person you quoted also said 'temporary' and not 'reversible'.

You're just being passive aggressive for the sake of it.

Edited by Sensuki

Y NOT JUST CALL THEM BURROW AND PARALYZE GEEZ 

SPIDERS PARALYZE BRO - LORD OF THE RINGS?

I would guess that "Teleport through earth" isn't meant to be final name for that ability but joke that developers made based on how its implementation in vertical slice/prototype/beta/etc. version worked.

Paralyze or petrify both can work depending on do you want names that are perfectly clear what they mean or do you like more figurative names, but when you take consideration how abilities that player controlled characters have are named, paralyze seems more fitting name for that ability which crystal spiders have. 

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

I don't understand what you are talking about there. The petrify in Pillars of Eternity is not a real petrify. It's simply a slightly different paralyze that they have named Petrify for some reason, probably just to be different. The person you quoted also said 'temporary' and not 'reversible'.

If something is temporary, that pretty much means it's reversible. Have you considered that they maybe just haven't added the effect?

You're just being passive aggressive for the sake of it.

What an absurd and random comment to make. Do you even know what passive-aggressive means?

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]