pcgamers beta review.

TheisEjsing

The non-initiated makes me happy. Most talk about PoE and the beta from outside this forum is full of wonder, happiness and excitement. Whereas on the forum.. Not so much. :)

Drastically put, I shared that very enthusiasm of those non-inititated, with rose-tinted glasses and all, but then I lost my PoE virginity in the BB, and it hurt. ;)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I think it's very dangerous to come into the beta with heavy emotional investment. It will hurt. This is a bit like a sausage aficionado visiting a sausage factory. It's not pretty and it just might ruin sausages for you forever.

Personally I really dig that sort of thing. I once even took a sausage-making course with a sausage master. We made different kinds. It was gross like you wouldn't believe but the sausages were delicious, and my appreciation for them only grew in the process.

• Like 9

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I think it is yeah, however perhaps my involvement will make my enjoyment of the game better than if I didn't get involved and didn't end up getting some of my suggestions in.

It's a law of nature, diminishing returns. Good thing is most of the CONTENT will still be new.

I think it is yeah, however perhaps my involvement will make my enjoyment of the game better than if I didn't get involved and didn't end up getting some of my suggestions in.

It's a law of nature, diminishing returns. Good thing is most of the CONTENT will still be new.

I suppose intimate knowledge of how the sausage is made kills suspension of disbelief a bit but, let's face it, you'd spend a lot of time diving into game systems even if PoE were dumped on your lap as a completed product.

It's all about content spoilers for me. If they add more maps to this beta, I'll have to seriously consider not going any further.

Just as a point, I have never played any IE games (due to age). I bought this game as I love RPGs. I'm loving the game with the reservation that the combat needs more feedback and the mechanics need slightly tweaking. Overall, I think the die hard fans are expecting too much.

• Like 1

The non-initiated makes me happy. Most talk about PoE and the beta from outside this forum is full of wonder, happiness and excitement. Whereas on the forum.. Not so much. :)

Hehe yeah when im playing, im just wow'd and having fun and all is well. Find some bugs and trying to lewrn the system and i come on here to report and its like i see wailing and gnashing of teeth. So far ive been good with my sanity checks but i worry for that natural 1.

Of course this said in jest :-) but i do find myself when im alone playing the game that im satisfied and having fun.

• Like 1

Haha, I seriously don't know how to take those videos funny, silly, satirical, overly dramatic, people taking things a "little" to serious, or downright ridiculous. Or just some people really don't have anything more important to worry about?

Anyway I was entertained.  :teehee:

Edited by Lychnidos

Those videos are exactly why I avoid RPG Codex like the plague.

There is no sacrifice in the beta if you are heavily emotionally invested in this game.  In fact, in many ways it is better for those who are heavily emotionally invested to get involved now and hit that beta hard.  Why?  Because those who are heavily emotionally invested will be disappointed by this game because it will never, ever, live up to the hype in their minds where they have created goals no real game can ever achieve. 

Baldur's Gate didn't wow you because you "knew" it would, it did it because it was something new that you didn't expect.  Maybe you had expectations but your expectations were reasonable.  Better to get your hard dose of reality on the beta so you don't get it on the real game and then sour yourself from what will be a great PC RPG.  Deal with it now and you will have time to accept, hey this is how reality works, get your perspective in the right place, and be ready to enjoy the real game in a few months.

• Like 5

There is no sacrifice in the beta if you are heavily emotionally invested in this game.  In fact, in many ways it is better for those who are heavily emotionally invested to get involved now and hit that beta hard.  Why?  Because those who are heavily emotionally invested will be disappointed by this game because it will never, ever, live up to the hype in their minds where they have created goals no real game can ever achieve. 

Baldur's Gate didn't wow you because you "knew" it would, it did it because it was something new that you didn't expect.  Maybe you had expectations but your expectations were reasonable.  Better to get your hard dose of reality on the beta so you don't get it on the real game and then sour yourself from what will be a great PC RPG.  Deal with it now and you will have time to accept, hey this is how reality works, get your perspective in the right place, and be ready to enjoy the real game in a few months.

VERY TRUE! I was freaking out after first playing the beta; if that had been the real game I would have quit the game altogether. The key to not being upset is to simply ignore the idea it's a "spiritual successor" so you don't have expectations that are too narrow. Obsessing over the "spiritual successor" title was my mistake and it was better to face reality sooner rather than later.

• Like 3

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Agreed. Well said. I'll just add that I think the vast majority of those of us with heavy emotional investment that play the beta will be able to temper our expectations. There will, of course, be outliers on both ends: those that will end up thinking PoE is anathema, and those that will refuse to accept that OBs did anything at all wrong. But I think the vast majority will be able to look at the game for what itis, realize what it isn't, and as a result of beta testing and seeing some of the changes that it will go through before it's final, we'll be able to enjoy the piss out of it when it's released.

• Like 2

The key to not being upset is to simply ignore the idea it's a "spiritual successor" so you don't have expectations that are too narrow. Obsessing over the "spiritual successor" title was my mistake and it was better to face reality sooner rather than later.

I think this falls under what Karkarove was saying though. It really depends on what someone's idea of a 'spiritual successor' is. I don't personally have an issue thinking of the game that way. Hell, I'll even say I thought DA:O was a pretty damned good 'spiritual successor' to BG. But yeah, if people can temper their expectations by playing the beta, they'll be far happier, I think. :)

• Like 1

The videos have no direct relationship with PoE. They are just fun satire. Check felipepepepepe(ppeppe)'s video for Age of Decadence.