pixel hunting for plants?

Gromnir

am not thinking we need discuss this much. we noted when crafting were first detailed that we didn't see a genuine point to plants if we already got animal viscera involved in recipe making. we observed that we didn't see a compelling reason to add hunting 'shrooms if all it were from a gameplay perspective were using tab or, lord forbid, pixel hunting. if finding PoE plants were a repetitive and mindless mechanic, we couldn't fathom a purpose. 

well, we got pixel hunting for plants. is this 'posed to be our motivation for map explorations? am admitting that this is a minor issue with all the other problems PoE current faces, but... why? 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

yup, they should include highlighting plants when the button is being pressed. who likes pixel hunting can still choose not to use the help function.

Not really. What if you're trying to TAB for something else, like a small door or a container. You'll inadvertently wind up highlighting any plants in the vicinity as well. Not that I care, I hit TAB all the time, precisely because I want to see what i can interact with, but those that like the pixel hunt won't like it.

I hate pixel hunting.  I also, honestly, am not a fan of crafting systems generally so I'm hardly the target market on this.  I'm not sure who, exactly, is the target market, but I guess they exist.  If you're going to have a crafting system though and objects in the world are part of it, I would much prefer that they be highlighted.

• Like 6

I hate pixel hunting.  I also, honestly, am not a fan of crafting systems generally so I'm hardly the target market on this.  I'm not sure who, exactly, is the target market, but I guess they exist.  If you're going to have a crafting system though and objects in the world are part of it, I would much prefer that they be highlighted.

Tons of people seem to love crafting. I can take it or leave it, but overall I'm more in your camp on it though. It seems to me it's generally either completely superfluous (you don't need to do it for any reason because you can either find or buy items that are as good as - and usually better - than you can craft) or it's absolutely necessary because it's the only way to get the best or extremely useful items.

• Like 1

but aren't the ingredients and the corresponding plants illustrated somewhere (like how they would appear in the areas) ? If it's it not in-game i hope they'll include that in the manual.

Well, it's not pixel hunting when the plants are easily identifiable, is it?

• Like 1

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

As Tartantyco said, the plants are easily identifiable.

Once you find them.

Until then you could be looking at a colectable plant right next to you and you wouldnt know because unless you mouse over it (either on accident or actually pixel hunting every 2d plant you see) you wont know if its a background plant or an actual resource.

And while I find the idea that you are foraging and learning of these plants as you go along, I can see myself pausing every screen to run my cursor over every piece of vegetation and then some which can get a bit tedious. Maybe add a a few "book on forest/plains/coastal/desert/underground plants: a guide" that lets us see them highlighted once read? It would be a neat feature.

As Tartantyco said, the plants are easily identifiable.

Once you find them.

Until then you could be looking at a colectable plant right next to you and you wouldnt know because unless you mouse over it (either on accident or actually pixel hunting every 2d plant you see) you wont know if its a background plant or an actual resource.

And while I find the idea that you are foraging and learning of these plants as you go along, I can see myself pausing every screen to run my cursor over every piece of vegetation and then some which can get a bit tedious. Maybe add a a few "book on forest/plains/coastal/desert/underground plants: a guide" that lets us see them highlighted once read? It would be a neat feature.

the way you make plant aspect o' crafting neat (i.e. free o' disorder) is to get rid o' plants as ingredients. plants is an unnecessary bit o' bloat with an awkward and tedious mechanic. more is not always better. this is one such case. disable plant pixel hunting and remove plants from recipes.

alternatively, at least let us use tab. is freaking annoying to pixel hunt. plants is an unnecessary addition with a horribly unimaginative and uninteresting mechanic. at least let us tab and reduce the tedium.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

ps

if goal is to get players to explore every corner o' wilderness maps, we suggest a different route:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68164-a-different-view-on-the-whole-xp-controversy/?p=1502749

were more than a few suggestions from folks such as kgambit and cant for developing an actual exploration Quest. conversely, a tedious mechanic to promote exploration feels... cheap.

HA! Good Fun!

Pixel Hunting for Plants sounds like a game show.  :Cant's Bob Barker icon:

Personally, I could do without complex crafting anyway, *and* the huge amount of crafting crap that accumulates.  If they were going to include crafting, they should have made it meaningful in some way rather than just tossing together such exotic ingredients such as 'rice' and 'grain' and 'missing string.'  Crafting should have been something truly interesting and what it is now... ain't.

Anyhow, that ship has sailed, so, yeah, let folks use the tab function.  I just hope that we aren't buried under the sheer amount of crafting crap and it auto stacks in large quantities in our stash.  Better yet, how about they don't make crafting necessary for decent kit?  Then it won't matter.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Anyhow, that ship has sailed, so, yeah, let folks use the tab function.  I just hope that we aren't buried under the sheer amount of crafting crap and it auto stacks in large quantities in our stash.  Better yet, how about they don't make crafting necessary for decent kit?  Then it won't matter.

Making it necessary for the 'best' gear is one thing I've always disliked about crafting in games. I hope it's not something that crops up in this one. For those that love crafting, sure, have it so you can make items as good as what you can find or buy.

As for the stash, crafting items have their own separate one. So you don't even have to worry about it. Just ignore that stash and you'll never even know you have the items.

As for the stash, crafting items have their own separate one. So you don't even have to worry about it. Just ignore that stash and you'll never even know you have the items.

Holy crap!  I didn't even *know* that.  I've been putting all those crafting things in my party stash.  In fact, it's the majority of the junk I had in my stash by the end of my first run.  Thanks for the tip, Inky!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Holy crap!  I didn't even *know* that.  I've been putting all those crafting things in my party stash.  In fact, it's the majority of the junk I had in my stash by the end of my first run.  Thanks for the tip, Inky!

Yeah, no worries. I'm not sure if it suffers from the quirk that money did, but put crafting materials (or anything you think may be a crafting item) in your main's inventory. If it's a crafting item it should automatically move to the crafting item stash.

Wait, there is a crafting stash?

Well more of a separate tab in the inventory for the crafting items. You can see it in when selling items at the merchants. It's between the party inventory and the stash on the right side of the inventory display. Otherwise, just hit the Crafting button in the inventory window (bottom left) when not at a merchant.

I still find it strange that you cant access that stash with just your current haul of ingredients outside merchants.

Im guessing they made it like that so you arent thinking "I have X of this ingredient, what do I use it for" and instead think "This is the enchantment I want, I need X amount of this ingredient", or something like that. And the trade window showing the stash is probably so you can easily see what ingredients you have when buying more of them.

We have a new feature that will hi-lite bushes and other 3D objects such as doors on tab - this was always intended to be the case, we just never got around to doing the shader until now. Stash is going to get an overhaul soon as well. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Adam, you're a cool cat :) Thanks !