Want to know the secret to have the most enjoyable experience with BB v278?

Marceror

The secret is simple.

NEVER reload your game. Ever.

The game is pretty damn stable (though still far from perfect, mind you) if you never load a save. Things start bugging out left and right as soon as you do so.

So if you want the best experience with BB v278, play it when you can set aside a good 3 - 4 hours, and play the whole thing in a single sitting. It's actually not bad like this.

Another observation is don't play a ranger, because their pets can get you stuck. In fact, don't summon any creatures. The Chanters skeletons are right out!

• Like 6

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I was having trouble with my ranger. I think they lowered my hp or something.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

If the pet takes damage, your ranger takes damage, and vice versa.

The secret is simple.

NEVER reload your game. Ever.

The game is pretty damn stable (though still far from perfect, mind you) if you never load a save. Things start bugging out left and right as soon as you do so.

So if you want the best experience with BB v278, play it when you can set aside a good 3 - 4 hours, and play the whole thing in a single sitting. It's actually not bad like this.

Another observation is don't play a ranger, because their pets can get you stuck. In fact, don't summon any creatures. The Chanters skeletons are right out!

I think you're absolutely right. I just posted in the bug report forum that I had issues with turning in quests as well as problems with summoned skellies (the quest issue cropped up after saving and reloading when I couldn't exit the inn because of the summoned skellies).

I know, but I'm saying in this new build my ranger seems to have lower hp altogether. Maybe I'm wrong.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I know, but I'm saying in this new build my ranger seems to have lower hp altogether. Maybe I'm wrong.

He does. In the previous build all classes were getting the same amount of hit points. That was a bug which has now been corrected.

He does. In the previous build all classes were getting the same amount of hit points. That was a bug which has now been corrected.

Oh. That explains it.

The items under the player's feet seems to be reload related as well

Yep, for sure. I only ever see that happen after a reload. The shield in the middle of certain rooms is not reload related though.

Sure.

1. Hit 'quit game.'

2. Boot up your old, much-modded copy of BG2.

3. Enjoy.

Well, I'm doing that too as a matter of fact, but this time I chose a Planescape Torment run through.

Sure.

1. Hit 'quit game.'

2. Boot up your old, much-modded copy of BG2.

3. Enjoy.

However much your response irks the piss out of me, I'm actually finding v278 a LOT less stable than v275. Chanter adds are completely broken atm and it crashes all over the shop.

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

Nah, I can completely understand. As a relative newcomer to the board, it's getting a little frustrating at the overwhelming amount of what essentially boils down to "do it like it was on the IE engine". Apologies if it came off as a personal dig.

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

Nah, I can completely understand. As a relative newcomer to the board, it's getting a little frustrating at the overwhelming amount of what essentially boils down to "do it like it was on the IE engine". Apologies if it came off as a personal dig.

Incorrect depending on what topic you're reading, because the IE games did stuff a lot better than Pillars of Eternity does in may ways. PE might have new system design that apparently fixes some of the issues with the IE games system design, but in turn has created some of it's own degenerative gameplay. This is an issue with a few of the systems.

The IE games also had pretty much as good as you could want combat feedback, UI uniformity & navigation, the AI was robust, everything was responsive (except dialogues in the IWDs) and encounter design was generally fantastic.

PE hits the high notes mostly on dialogue, character models, most area art and some systems, but it's still got a long way to go to compete with the IE games (let alone Baldur's Gate 1) in terms of "feel". Some fixes, some tweaks, some design alterations, bug crunching and optimization and hopefully it will place itself within the range.

The topics your gripe applies to are likely Combat XP, the Health system, Attack Resolution system, Attribute design goals (not implementation), yada yada yada. Because yeah, sure - there's quite a few people who won't let go of those.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 5

My advice would be somewhat different from the OP's.

If you want to enjoy the beta, take it as what it is: a possibility to get in early to see the systems shape up, and to have a small say in how that happens.

If you're looking for an enjoyable game experience, then don't participate in the beta. That's not what it is.

• Like 5

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

If you want to enjoy the beta, take it as what it is: a possibility to get in early to see the systems shape up, and to have a small say in how that happens.

If you're looking for an enjoyable game experience, then don't participate in the beta. That's not what it is.

I think the OP is talking about how to play the Beta without most bugs. Not about enjoying the game. There is no reason why someone should suffer through the process, if the pain can be minimized. 

• Like 2

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

I think the OP is talking about how to play the Beta without most bugs. Not about enjoying the game. There is no reason why someone should suffer through the process, if the pain can be minimized.

Very astute.

OP: This is true for almost all games.

Really? I've played a lot of games and this has not been my experience at all. Further, unless you're playing a short demo like the PoE backer beta it's generally not possible to play a computer game in a single sitting.

So I have no idea where you're coming from with your post. To me your statement is... utterly wrong.

Not really, no. Iron manning is thrilling in all games. This is a revelation? O_o

(Obviously, saving and quitting between sessions, and then reloading to where you stopped is permitted.)

My point isn't that playing in ironman mode is more fun than not. My point is not loading any save games avoids a lot of bugs, thus allowing a player to make their way more productively through the backer beta.

• Like 1

I'm one of those people who needs to work towards ironman modes slowly. I usually start games on hard (i.e. the core rules setting in BG2 or hard in a game like DA:O) then understand the rules as I work up.

In FONV I never really got into the hardcore modes, as its one of the very few RPGs where I tend to enjoy the story and setting as much as, if not slightly more than, the gameplay.

sonsofgygax.JPG