Can't hurt temple guards

Hawkrose

Hi all.  Started this yesterday with V278.  Am getting through most things, but I've got a big problem with the temple guards in the Cultist temple.   Nothing seems to touch them.   My PC is a 'useless' Rogue, but I have the 5 BB characters, and have tried endless combinations of spells and weapons on them.   The guards don't hurt my  guys much (if at all), but nothing my team does hurts them, so I can't move forward.    The script says that my guys "miss"  the guards.   Am I missing something obvious?   I haven't seen it listed anywhere as a bug, and clearly others have finished the quest.

The guards have a really high deflection score that makes hitting them with autoattacks pretty hard.  If you mouse over one of those misses in the combat log you'll see the math behind it.  Note that, after modifications, a roll of <=5 is a miss, <= 50 is a glance, <= 95 is a hit, and > 95 is a crit (I might be off with some of the =, can't quite recall).  Their deflection is so high that most of your attacks are going to fall in that first category.

I can't recall if they have particularly low defences in any of the other categories (mouse over them to see, assuming you've hit them enough to fill out the lore bits).  Try attacks that target fortitude, reflex, or will rather than deflection.  There are a couple of priest spells that target something other than deflection, cause burning damage, and lower the deflection of mobs.  Those might well be an option for you.

Thanks for that.   I'd seen the high deflection, so was looking for spells that lowered it, or kept him standing still, and that wasn't working. 

My normal style is to line 'em up and keep whacking one at a time with auto-hit till they're dead - guess that won't work here. 

My rogue was pretty useless anyway, and I was having some other weird problems like the Character Screen was completely garbled, so I deleted that game, and restarted with a Paladin.    10 times better,  although I haven't got back to the temple yet. 

OK. so turned out it was a bug.   About half way through the dungeon,  possibly after a trip back to the village,  Deflection on the guards got set at 226,   instead of 86  or 95.   Abandoned that game and started again.   No problems with that the second time round