Suggesting a fix for two perceived problems

archangel979

Problems are: 

#1 Short adventuring days due to fast losing of Health

#2 Lack of a physical strength attribute that is bothering lots of people. 

My suggested solutions are:

#1 Remove Health bonus from Constitution and just give classes varying Health gain per level depending on their typical combat role

#2 Remove loss of Health due to loss of Stamina. Health is lost only once Stamina goes down to 0. Characters don't drop down once their Stamina is at 0 but once their Health is at 0. 

#3 Instead of classes having different loss of Stamina/Health ratio give them more/less Health per level

#4 Since Constitution now only gives more Stamina per level its other bonus will be connected with Physical Strength. It will determine Melee weapon Accuracy while Perception or Dexterity affects ranged weapon accuracy only. (Might stays unchanged, I would only rename it into something more fitting)

Explanations:

In real life the strongest men are more often than not big and burly (if we go by the strongest men competitions or Ultimate Fighting or Boxing) so it would be a fitting place to put some kind of physical strength together with constitution. 

Short adventuring day does not have a fix in current system. Whatever ratio is set, the day will be either too long or too short. Defensive tactics and tanking will always be a problem as one or two characters will always be receiving most damage and stamina replenish spells just cause these characters to receive more damage to Health and make their adventuring day short. When I read people talk how it is more economical to let the guy fall down when his Stamina goes instead of healing Stamina, the huge alarm turned on in my head. 

It is good that PoE is trying to limit resting but that should be based more on party being out of daily resources than having one of two party members out of the whole group having low Health. 

With my changes using good defensive tactics and healing Stamina has a real purpose while taking Health damage is still dangerous due to character not going down once his Stamina is gone (and not being targeted anymore as a result). Party will still need to rest to replenish lost Health but with good tactics they can control better when that will be. 

Additional thoughts 

Only problem with this change is Monk. Maybe have him be a class that has an ability where Constitution give a bonus to his Health and not his Stamina so during combat he will often lose his Stamina and then be able to power abilities due to losing Health as well. 

Also it could be done that once characters lose half Health they get penalties to combat stats while some special abilities (from Monk) or spells can only be used is such a situation. 

Yes, this is based on the Vitality/Health optional system from D&D rules but where in D&D is it bad due to extra math and bookeeping needed to play with it, for a cRPG it is perfect and still accomplishes what they wanted with current system (easy replenishing health pool and another pool you cannot heal that forces you to rest).  

I see the Might debate as a silly one that is not worth having.

As for short adventuring days, I'm pretty sure it's caused by a) unbalanced values and bugs in the game, and b) people playing the game poorly.

For a): This is solved through the balancing and bug fixing process that usually takes place during betas. You know, like the one you're playing right now.

For b): Stop demanding that the game conform to how you want it to play, and instead learn the game mechanics.

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Well, I can't remember saying we should drag this thread out back and execute it, so I'm not sure what's up with the defensive attitude.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

While I wont say some stats don't need adjustment I don't really think we need to do anything as drastic as what is listed here.  I think if we simply raise the formula on stam to health from 4 to 1 to 6 to 1 and to 8 to 1 for barbs we should be good to go.  That will literally reduce health damage by 50%.  That and of course fix the blatantly bugged/over tuned skills like wood beetle poison.  If you say made it so poison or deep wounds only did stam not health damage it would pretty much resolve them completely without having to lower their actual damage.