RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

Bizarre fact:

Here are a number of countries that have lower yearly revenues than what Microsoft bought Mojang/Minecraft for:

-Uganda

-Madagascar

-Nicaragua

-Cambodia

-Kosovo

-Monaco

-Afghanistan

When did Monaco become third world?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

There are many myths about it. Let's just say he's good enough, apparently. It was his job before his huge success, and when Minecraft took off, he handed over the company management stuff to others, and kept on going as a coder in Mojang.

Yeah, I'm not going to fault Notch for being a fantastic businessman.

Why, Almost Human? Why this autumn!? Why!!!???

There are already so many good games coming up, and now you've just added another one. I hate to have backlogs that entice me into game-hopping over and over.

Thanks, I guess. ;)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

That music sucks.

Hmm

New Quake Live Ruleset

Players may now hold jump to continuously jump.

Players may now hold forward and jump to 'bunny hop', allowing them to slowly gain up to 2x their base movement speed.

Introduced Loadouts in select modes; allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (sg, gl, pg, mg).

Added the command "weapon toggle" to toggle between your Primary and Secondary weapons. Defaults to "f" for new users.

Unified weapon respawn time to 5 seconds across all game modes.

Unified friendly fire, disabled across all game modes.

Added global Ammo Packs, in lieu of weapon specific ammo, where each pack grants you a small amount of ammo for each weapon in your inventory.

Reduced ammo respawn time from 40 seconds to 10 seconds.

Added in-world item timers for "major" items, including armors, megahealth, power-ups, and medkit.

Items have taller pickup collision boxes, so that players will not miss items as they jump over them.

Added Power-up Spawn POIs, that appear 10 seconds before a power-up spawns.

Added Power-up POIs, that indicate when an available power-up is available in the arena.

For players who wish to largely avoid the new major changes, the legacy style of play has been preserved within a "Classic" ruleset. All of our public Duel servers run in Classic mode. Subscribers may host additional classic servers using our "Create Match" feature. This includes the launching of Standard Classic servers, which any player may freely join.

In addition to our major ruleset changes, the following global game changes have been made:

General Game Changes

Added a new weapon, the Heavy Machinegun (HMG).

Lightning Gun now does 6 damage per cell across all rulesets, or 120 damage per second.

New higher resolution font added.

Widescreen Support for huds (see default huds for implementation examples).

New in-game UI (menu and loading screens).

Disabled the pk3 encryption. Paks can now be opened like a zip file; maps load up to 25% faster.

Added flagstand POIs in CTF.

Enabled self-kills with an additional 1 second respawn penalty.

Quad firing sound reduced on high rate of fire weapons: mg, pg, cg, hmg.

Added damage number indicators for damage dealt, can be customized by various color styles and enabled or disabled per weapon.

Fixed a bug in that could cause the best weapon selection to fail.

Machinegun now drops to grant users mg ammo.

Infected zombies now have air control and can double jump.

Fixed the CHEATS ENABLED notification on the map loading screen from lagging behind its proper state.

Reduced the default amount of player movement bobbing.

Reduced the default amount of damage kick movement.

By default, don't show weapons you don't have in inventory on your weaponbar.

By default, bob major items when simpleitems are enabled.

Prevent broken shader image on crosshair '30', '60', '90', which would equate to crosshair "none" as the cycle repeats.

Bots now randomly select loadouts, when applicable.

Greatly reduced multiple pickups prediction errors.

Removed the option to move to FreeCam while dead in elimination based gametypes.

The PQL ruleset has been renamed 'Turbo'.

Stonekeep map layout slightly modified.

Trimmed out 19 maps will be added back later after being updated. (Arena Gate, Bloodlust, Cobalt Station, Concrete Palace, Dies Irae, Double Impact, Eviscerated, Focal Point, Forgotten, Golgotha Core, Hell's Gate Redux, Hero's Keep, Power Station, Proving Grounds, Sacellum, Solid, Sorrow, Space Camp, Spillway, Terminal Heights, Terminus)

Create Match Features

Ruleset selections (Quake Live, Turbo, Classic) are all available for standard servers.

Now support custom values of starting ammo in AD, CA, DOM, and RR.

Added optional Double Jump physics player movement mechanic.

Arena Changes

Removed Team Arena Runes from all maps.

Proxy Launcher removed from all maps.

Chaingun and Nailgun removed from several maps.

Heavy Machinegun added to several maps, some depending on ruleset or mode.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Microsoft is optimistic and predicts it will recoup these 2.5B by June 2015, so yeah, for them it's a perceived win/win

Doesn't mean that they will be able to turn it for a profit but we'll see.
If minecraft 2 sells half as well as Minecraft did, it will probably have been worth it.

And that's not counting merchandise.

Announcing minecraft 2. Now with even larger voxels!!! :p Ooohhh, shinies...

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Bizarre fact:

Here are a number of countries that have lower yearly revenues than what Microsoft bought Mojang/Minecraft for:

-Uganda

-Madagascar

-Nicaragua

-Cambodia

-Kosovo

-Monaco

-Afghanistan

When did Monaco become third world?
I cba to check this out, but I bet Monaco's totals are warped by the fact that most of the country's income comes via companies it owns, not taxation.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It's not a country as much as a housing coop for the fabulously wealthy.

Not really, it has, among other things, the most policemen per capita in the world (a side of iirc here).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The site [update] for Grimrock 2 just went live.

http://www.grimrock.net/

And the teaser:

That looks amazing, I wonder if it will be as challenging as the first one ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

OMG...check this latest trailer for The Evil Within....to say it is brilliant is an understatement :aiee:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/17/the-evil-within-horror-game/#more-234341

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Announcing minecraft 2. Now with even larger voxels!!! :p Ooohhh, shinies...

And a Dx12 exclusive; with integrated Skype support.

Make it require kinect too, that way you get forced OS and hardware upgrade paths.

And video surveillance of player reactions to the in-game advertizment events as they happen. icon_twisted_zps6608dac5.gif

Edited by Gizmo

What do you all got with that Bloodborne? It looks horrible.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

What do you all got with that Bloodborne? It looks horrible.

You'll first have to explain why you think it looks horrible, because that is so baffling to me that I'm wondering if trying to give an (detailed) explanation of Bloodborne's appeal might be a waste of my time

Edited by Nordicus

Over the top weapon designs, generic hack n slash action game, only appealing might be setting, but for me its not enough. In short

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"