Please let us name our saves

Marceror

I'm a save game freak, I'll just come out and admit. I've been at this for long enough, that I can't count the number of times I've lost hours and hours of progress due to a bug, save game corruption, or because I just foolishly made a decision that screwed my game. Or perhaps I just want to go back to a point in the game later and try a totally different path than I did the first time. So I make lots of save games these days.

In order for me to sort those save games out, I'm in the habit of naming them in a way that will tell me what I need to know when I look at them later. "Before choosing to kill NPC Y rather than save them", or something along those lines.

I would like to respectfully request that an option to name our save games be added in a future patch.

That is all.

• Like 15

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

While on the subject of saves. Could we have saves sorted by character rather than character name? I tend to name all my characters the same thing, and I'm pretty sure all my saves were in the same folder last I checked.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I agree. Also, I'd like the option where I can list them in order of date/time played.

It shouldn't be an option, they should always be ordered like that.

• Like 2

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I asked for this in another thread (I think the general suggestions one), but I'm going to +10 it here in a thread dedicated to the idea. I really want this. Especially important in a game where there are supposed to be multiple paths to solve quests, IMO.

I have no problem with naming saves.  For me it's not a necessity, but it's fine and I completely understand why people want it. Also, easy to implement.  Like, trivially easy.

For me it's way more important that the saves be ordered chronologically (I'd suggest newest first, but newest last would still be way better than alphabetically).  I mean, ordered alphabetically?  I doubt that anyone made an intentional decision to sort them that way so I can only assume they just loaded the files from the directory and accepted the default ordering (alphabetical).  Should be trivial to change it.

As it stands, I have to squint to look at the (ludicrously tiny) font describing the real-world date of the save.  Can't even rely on the time-played text, because it's often wrong (shocking!)

Anyway, spend 30 minutes and change the sorting + allow custom names.

Edited by ctdavids
  • Like 3

Im sure Im misunderstanding but Ive been able to name my saves. For example I name each one for whatever "main" Im trying. Have one named "Paladin", one named "Wizard", etc...

Are you referring to a character limit or something like that?

Are you talking about Pillars of Eternity?

There is some text on the save that says "new game save" and that's where I would expect to enter my save game name. But when I click on it it just saves my game.

You have a method for this, please do share it.

Im sure Im misunderstanding but Ive been able to name my saves. For example I name each one for whatever "main" Im trying. Have one named "Paladin", one named "Wizard", etc...

There is some text on the save that says "new game save" and that's where I would expect to enter my save game name. But when I click on it it just saves my game.

Ill take a look in a few hours when I get home from work, and perhaps it changed in V2 (haven't tried V2 yet), but I remember it being pretty standard. Choose save, click in the save name field, type whatever you like.

Oh, are you referring to Quicksave (F5)?

Ill take a look in a few hours when I get home from work, and perhaps it changed in V2 (haven't tried V2 yet), but I remember it being pretty standard. Choose save, click in the save name field, type whatever you like.

Oh, are you referring to Quicksave (F5)?

Nope. If we had to name our quicksaves than by definition they wouldn't be quicksaves anymore. ;)

I think what Gfted might be talking about is, saves are categorized by your character name.  So I named my characters like Priest - Normal puts them in a different category to Cipher - Easy.  I have no doubt we'll have named saves at some point but probably not a big priority.

Edited by vril

I think this makes a lot of sense. Certainly not high on the priority list but I will try to get it in. And by try I mean go over to a programmer and wine.

Thank you Kaz. Your whining is muchly appreciated!