The armor system needs work

Marceror

An imaginary sentence that I don't want to find out became real, after all, after PoE has been released, in the OE office:

"Hey guys! It turns out that all that stuff we dismissed as nostalgia and replaced, it was actually genuinely fun gameplay. Bummer!"

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

And even Monte Carlo goes right into the ignore list. As a general suggestion, if you want your opinion to be heard, use constructive criticism instead of doomsaying.

If that's your criteria... you must have a very long ignore list on these boards! :p

I won't take it personally if you don't reply, since most likely you're never going to see this post. :biggrin:

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Funny thing is: Feargus, Josh and MCA never miss an opportunity to declare their love for the IE games, and I wouldn't expect anything else. But it's clear that they all have their own ideas of what's the core of those classics.

Right now, if we pretend, you only could save a few core game aspects of the BG-series (disregarding the story) what would it be?

I'd go for the dice-based combat system, party-based companions/self-made party members, and the character/classes levelling/development system via xp.

OE right now didn't save two of them. They left them to their fate. Instead, they picked crafting (from NWN2, really) and the stronghold (yet again, from NWN2). ;)

So a full 3d third person action game would be ok with you? Come on PoE is a direct descendant of BG, the differences you list are minimal to say the least.

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

I wish the panglossians on this forum would grow up. This game is, for me, dead atm. Soulless and devoid of charm. Wish I'd never backed it.

So, yeah, I'm going to have my say.

You don't claim to re-boot the IE games and come up with.... this. Don't tell me, "it's just a beta," this ships in a couple of months and most of these design decisions are fixed. All they can do is tinker with the deck-chairs on the Titanic.

It's like promising to write the sequel to The Lord of the Rings and delivering Twilight.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

And even Monte Carlo goes right into the ignore list. As a general suggestion, if you want your opinion to be heard, use constructive criticism instead of doomsaying.

Interesting. You just put yourself on your own Ignore list, then, an echo chamber, it seems. ;)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I personally would have backed it more if it wasn't like this.

In other words if it was to be almost a carbon copy of say BG2 with the mechanics I would have forked over a lot of money. I was pretty cautious, especially being an old schooler from the BIS days and knowing how JE thinks/wants to do things.

IWD2 was my least favorite IE game but I actually liked NWN2 more than most, especially with the expansion MoTB. The vanilla campaign grew on me even though the Shadow King was lame.

Oh well, I guess I don't lose out on much if the game ends up sucking. I do feel for those higher tier guys who are not pleased atm(seems to be a few of them).

Hopefully at worst it will work out better than you think and be reasonably fun.

OE guys are smart and do take a lot of the well articulated points into account and with the time that's left they can certainly polish up and bug squash the game.
I do wonder if it would be better to postpone winter release but I may end up waiting until patch 1 or 2 to get it anyway. *shrug* we'll see.

Edited by GreyFox
  • Like 5

So a full 3d third person action game would be ok with you? Come on PoE is a direct descendant of BG, the differences you list are minimal to say the least.

Absolutely. The criteria I picked were the most important ones. NWN2 is still one of my absolute favourites, and it was more or less a 3D action game.

The Fanbois on this forum are interesting. They seriously want to shut down criticism that doesn't fit their definition of acceptable.

Funny thing is, I'm an Obsidian fan. You don't help people you want to support by blowing smoke up their arse. As a customer and supporter you tell them, and you don't mince your words, how bloody annoyed you are. If they choose not to listen, then fine.

• Like 6

sonsofgygax.JPG

The Fanbois on this forum are interesting. They seriously want to shut down criticism that doesn't fit their definition of acceptable.

Funny thing is, I'm an Obsidian fan. You don't help people you want to support by blowing smoke up their arse. As a customer and supporter you tell them, and you don't mince your words, how bloody annoyed you are. If they choose not to listen, then fine.

You may be a fan. But are you really, truly a "BOI"? It could be that's where you went wrong, and you may want to reevaluate your life under those terms?

Yeah Boi! (note that I was not addressing Monte with this comment)

Absolutely. The criteria I picked were the most important ones. NWN2 is still one of my absolute favourites, and it was more or less a 3D action game.

I played it like IE games and it was very far from action game. 

I played it like IE games and it was very far from action game. 

Heh. I keed, I keed, a bit. :yes:

It was made in 3D and there were plenty of actions going on in it.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

@Monte Carlo so, do you have any ideas on how to fix it?

"This sucks, is awful, is like Twilight to Lord of the Rings, it's too late to fix it, imma take my toys and go play elsewhere, WHAAA! :temper tantrum:" is, IMO, not very likely to make any difference besides making this forum kind of a sucky place, and reflecting rather poorly on your emotional maturity at that.

Basically, if you really believe it's irredeemable, then I would suggest you get good and drunk, have a good cry, and... leave. There are some of us here who believe there's a damn good game under there somewhere and want to help dig it out. (And no, we are not being uncritically positive.)

Even if you don't agree, surely you'll be willing to grant an infinitesimal possibility that it might be true--and leave those of us willing live in hope and do the work to it, then maybe check later when it's finished.

Basically, I do not see what good could possibly come out of your incessant whinging and moaning. It's just bloody irritating, especially as it seems to get worse as the beta gets objectively, obviously, and dramatically better (like with this update). It's like you want it to fail, despite your protestations that you're a fan and "just want the game to be good."

Short version: sh1t or get off the can. Sh1t meaning constructive criticism the devs can actually use.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

You do understand that by putting people into ignore lists they can keep giving their input and suggestion to developers and you cannot see it to protest and say otherwise? 

You are essentially shooting yourself into your foot. 

Edited by archangel979

I'm not with you on this one This would be grounds for mutiny in my opinion. And I live only 30 minutes from Obsidian's HQ. They wouldn't want to see my mutiny.

Marceror: The isometric view is absolutely great, and those hand-painted 2D backgrounds (yum!), but since I enjoyed NWN2 just as much (at least MotB), I figured it wasn't worth saving, if I was staring down the barrel of a gun.

@Monte Carlo so, do you have any ideas on how to fix it?

"This sucks, is awful, is like Twilight to Lord of the Rings, it's too late to fix it, imma take my toys and go play elsewhere, WHAAA! :temper tantrum:" is, IMO, not very likely to make any difference besides making this forum kind of a sucky place, and reflecting rather poorly on your emotional maturity at that.

Basically, if you really believe it's irredeemable, then I would suggest you get good and drunk, have a good cry, and... leave. There are some of us here who believe there's a damn good game under there somewhere and want to help dig it out. (And no, we are not being uncritically positive.)

Even if you don't agree, surely you'll be willing to grant an infinitesimal possibility that it might be true--and leave those of us willing live in hope and do the work to it, then maybe check later when it's finished.

Basically, I do not see what good could possibly come out of your incessant whinging and moaning. It's just bloody irritating, especially as it seems to get worse as the beta gets objectively, obviously, and dramatically better (like with this update). It's like you want it to fail, despite your protestations that you're a fan and "just want the game to be good."

Short version: sh1t or get off the can. Sh1t meaning constructive criticism the devs can actually use.

I thought slightly better of you. You obviously want some sort of circle-jerk or knitting club where people can all agree nicely, or if they do disagree they do it within the constrained limits you impose.

Sorry, I'm not going anywhere. My posting style might annoy you (actually, I'm sorry about that, genuinely) but it isn't going to make me suddenly change my style. I find the sycophants on this forum equally annoying but I don't shoot at them whatsoever. My style is full of hyperbole. It's gonzo and probably annoying.

But until a moderator tells me to stop I'm going to have my say. I paid for it, after all.

Edit - I've lots of ideas how to fix it. But uttering them gets you shot down by the shills who think everything's groovy with this project.

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 5

sonsofgygax.JPG

Marceror: The isometric view is absolutely great, and those hand-painted 2D backgrounds (yum!), but since I enjoyed NWN2 just as much (at least MotB), I figured it wasn't worth saving, if I was staring down the barrel of a gun.

Don't get me wrong. I played the hell out of NWN2, and the same goes for Dragon Age Origins. And pleeeenty of other 3D games. So I'm not incapable of enjoying a 3D game by any stretch of the imagination.

But not for my IE spiritual successor that I've been waiting 15 years for. 2D, painted backgrounds FTW, so says I!

• Like 1

If somebody told you four years ago that you would be getting a new Infinity Engine game, but that you'd hate and reject it due to its implementation of the Strength attribute and its health mechanics, you'd think they were crazy.

Have some proportion, people.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 3

'tron it's not an Infinity Engine game.

Of course, it's using Unity.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

'tron it's not an Infinity Engine game.

Of course, it's using Unity.

Uh....

If somebody told you four years ago that you would be getting a new Infinity Engine game,

I'd be amazed that they were using a decade old engine.

Now if someone told me I'd be getting a 2d isometric party based RPG from Obsidian where I could kill **** and do interesting quests, but the mechanics would be different from the IE games, I would have given the same amount of money I did. As far as I'm concerned, Obsidian has delivered. The mechanics certainly need tweaking, but I like what I've seen.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands