[v278] UI issues when running resolutions above 1080p

kujeger

Question

There are some scaling problems when running at resolutions above 1920x1080.

1) 3D models in character creation/levelup or inventory are scaled instead of rendered at the current resolution. The result is very blurry characters.
I realize that 2D artwork is by necessity scaled (presumably current UI 2D artwork is only made for <=1080p resolutions. I hope higher resolutions are planned!), but this should not apply to 3D content. Example:

1920x1080:
317120_2014-09-04_00011_crop.png

2560x1440:
317120_2014-09-04_00010_crop.png

2) All text is similarly rendered at a low resolution and then scaled, instead of rendered properly. Results in pretty blurry text.
1920x1080: http://kumini.kujeger.net/dump/2014-09-04_00012.jpg
2560x1440: http://kumini.kujeger.net/dump/2014-09-04_00013.jpg

3) Some elements get (partially) cut off from the screen. Note the quest notification in the upper left, that is clipping both art and text:
http://kumini.kujeger.net/dump/2014-09-04_00006.jpg

• Like 1

17 answers to this question

The 3D content should be rendered at the appropriate resolution.  I'll ask Adam about it.

I think we currently support increased levels of zoom through an .ini file.  We may make this a menu option in-game.

Positioning of elements being off are just bugs that need to be fixed.  Thanks for giving us the specific examples.  I think BMac is already looking at some of them.

• Like 1

Have 3D models and font been fixed?

At the very least those two things should always be crisp and not subject to blurry scaling.

I bought my monitor with a 2560x1440 resolution because it had been said during the kickstarter that that would be PoE's native resolution. Pretty disappointed to learn that that is not case and I'm stuck with a blurry UI and zoomed out view.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Not fixed in BB392 at least. Inventory paperdolls and character creation models are still upscaled rather than rendered at native rez. Default max zoom on the Mac build is past native rez; on the Windows build it is at native rez (i.e. pulled out further).

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

To recap:

• All 3D items are currently "capped" at 1080p whereas they should always render at the target resolution.
  • Font is similarly capped a becomes blurry past 1080p, whereas it should always be crisp at all resolutions (like it is in BG:EE, for example).
  • UI gets really blurry past 1080p owing to a poor upscaling algorithm.

Also would be good to have an official confirmation of the max. resolution past which 2D backdrops start getting smaller (was supposed to be 1440p during the Kickstarter).

Edited by AndreaColombo

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Huzzah! v435 has fixed the gui elements getting cut off!

The upscaling issues are still present though. Seems unlikely they will be fixed for release. Maybe post-release patch?

To be honest, the upscaling bit is really bumming me out. This is stuff I haven't seen since the days of early 3D, when some games were locked-resolution.

edit: the programmers need to know that someone on the internet is OUTRAGED at this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by kujeger

kujeger,

I spoke with BMac about this in private as I, too, play at 2560x1440. He said they are aware of these issues and hope to get to them soon, so I am confident they will be fixed—it just might take a while as they're currently swamped in high priority bugs and optimizations.

That's pretty rad :)

I appreciate the UI being 1920x1080 and the devs having no time to develop UI assets at 2560x1440, but we really need text to be sharp and not upscaled. Hopefully they can sort this out for release.

While obviously rendering the text at the final display size would be best, I think it would get most of the way there if there were a way to persuade the game just to render the text exactly the same regardless of resolution. I mean, the upscaled text is no only badly blurred, but it's absurdly large:

post-42130-0-63413800-1427142429_thumb.jpg

Even at 70%, the lowest font scale size, it's still not exactly small:

post-42130-0-67022500-1427142425_thumb.jpg

I'm hopeful that disabling the UI scaling completely is within the realm of moddability, so that even if the root of the problem doesn't get fixed any time soon, then at least the game will have resolution independence on a par with BG2.

As it is, I'm not convinced I'm going to be able to bear playing with the text looking this bad, at least if there's as much text in the game as I'm expecting :(.

Whoa, that text needs help.

Devs, if you're reading this, please do something!

I have the blurry font problem too (1440p screen, release build). Really annoying. Reducing UI scaling from 100 to 70 or 80 reduces the problem, but it is still quite a pain for my eyes. I will try running the game in 1080p (my screen might do a better upscale !), but I might as well wait for a patch to have the best possible experience with the game, as it is otherwise really cool !