[V278] Lisibility of fights need to be improved ! (Wasteland 2 idea ?)

BillyCorgan

I love playing this game and see what the developers have to offer, but fighting (heart of the game like it or not) are so illegible that every confrontation is a small ordeal ergonomics and lisibility. 

I know this must be improved, but why not also add a system picture for enemis (a bit like Wasteland 2)? 

Rapid assembly to explain my vision: 

206996PillarsOfEternity20140904fights.pn

Any other idea to fix it is up for grabs!

• Like 2

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Not a bad idea to have an alternate way to select enemies in the middle of a scramble.

Not sure how much work your suggestion would involve.

Perhaps just having a list of available enemies come up under a mouse-over/right click and be able to select from said list.  Or make mouse-overed enemy flash/glow / name pop-up?  So at least you know you're not choosing to hit your paladin :lol:  (I thought this was already planned?)  If an enemy is behind another, it should still be easily selectable.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I don't like this idea - that kind of stuff is important in a turn-based game because the turn order needs to be visualized.

PE is real time so it's not needed.

What is needed is better Combat Feedback. The Combat HUDs are grossly obtuse as well. Somehow we managed without one in the IE games ....

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

Well most enemies have a huge selection circle / model - which wasn't the case in the IE games. They kept most of the enemies to the same selection circle size as the party characters.

yeah but this game has a weird lower-pan camera. it really messes with the visibility when two units are "on top" of each other.

I don't like this idea - that kind of stuff is important in a turn-based game because the turn order needs to be visualized.

PE is real time so it's not needed.

What is needed is better Combat Feedback. The Combat HUDs are grossly obtuse as well. Somehow we managed without one in the IE games ....

Isn't the OP just talking about showing pics of the current enemies up there? For easy enemy selection?  Because I don't see that as a bad idea.

Enemies do not have portraits. There were none made for the project because the Infinity Engine games did not do this

What you are seeing is a turn based design.

There are better ways to solve the combat muddle than to add a turn-based UI element to the game.

• Like 4

They could also just make some graphical touches to make it easier to see through objects like trees.  But yes, while the idea isn't bad it is something that works in turn based games and I am not sure we need a turn based solution for a non turn based game.

Occlusion isn't working properly anyway.

Characters were supposed to have silhouette in the shade of their selection circle when walking behind a solid piece of geometry.

Currently they don't and characters (and items) disappear in knee deep grass and whatnot.

• Like 3

Enemies do not have portraits. There were none made for the project because the Infinity Engine games did not do this

What you are seeing is a turn based design.

There are better ways to solve the combat muddle than to add a turn-based UI element to the game.

Weren't those game only 2D? Based on D&D? Different inventory system? XP on kills? ;) Just because those games didn't have it, it doesn't mean this one couldn't use them. And for more than a few (83% according to some people's statistics), PoE already isn't "what it was promised" so whatever. :p

From a limited resources point of view, it wouldn't be a good idea. I can agree with that. But if occlusion were to work well and still we were facing situations that like of the pic, not using alternate methods of selection would be:  :banghead:

I think that if they implement the correct changes combat should be less of a cluster****. They've done quite a few things to amplify this issue such as the lower camera angle, larger sized enemies, faster movement speed (run), environmental sorting ... all that sort of stuff.

The lower camera angle is probably one of the biggest factors, it's not as bad in an interior level.