The Insane Beta Battles @ Crossing

On my game, it was the Skaen guards (with shields) who were invincible. I had to use my Fighter and Cipher to move them out of my path to get on with it.

• Like 1

There's a Cultist archer I encountered in the Dyrford Ruins last night that is ridiculously overpowered. Wiped my party 7 times last night in seconds even after I had rested them so that they were at full strength!

I've knocked him down. Hit him with fireballs, more knockdown, lightning every thing I could see I tried and pause and check and "barely injured." I think I found Amazing Indesctructoid Man! 

I think I will wait for more patching. Combat, stamina recovery are completely wonk in this right now. This was also on "easy."

Its probably the *Missing String* Archers. They use Deep Wounds so a portion of the damage you do to them gets redirected to the party member they are targetting. I had a chanter so everything was directed to skeletons but you can actually have your wizard facetank it with Corrosive Siphon if you are fighting a large enough group. That thing heals for so much I was constantly having my Wizard´s stamima going up and down like a pogo stick. He had literaly no health at the end though. It seems ranged warbow monks might be the thing to go.

Also, Skaen enemies drop so much good loot on Hard. Im rather grateful for the stash mechanic and am starting to find it less and less annoying with each playthrough. Now if only consumables and scrolls actually worked in combat I can see the "this is your quickbar, not your inventory" design working. Though I still think there should be larger individual party member inventories instead of quickbar inventories.

Though the quickbar inventory size is probably so as to not clutter up the main abilities bar with consumables.

But you could always have a separate ability sub-menu for consumables and scrolls for every character like we have for spells which even if they maintain the current inventory system I wish they would implement.

@Cantousent: You can very easily get level 6-7 before you even get to the ogre cave just following normal quest chains without even entering the Skaen Temple/Dyford Ruins. I would actually say that the XP values are a bit bloated for the purposed of the beta which is fine. At level 7 everything becomes much easier, particulary if you hired an additional party member.

Though I was playing on Hard so Im not sure if you get a hidden XP bonus from doing that.

• Like 1

There's a Cultist archer I encountered in the Dyrford Ruins last night that is ridiculously overpowered. Wiped my party 7 times last night in seconds even after I had rested them so that they were at full strength!

I've knocked him down. Hit him with fireballs, more knockdown, lightning every thing I could see I tried and pause and check and "barely injured." I think I found Amazing Indesctructoid Man! 

I think I will wait for more patching. Combat, stamina recovery are completely wonk in this right now. This was also on "easy."

Its probably the *Missing String* Archers. They use Deep Wounds so a portion of the damage you do to them gets redirected to the party member they are targetting. I had a chanter so everything was directed to skeletons but you can actually have your wizard facetank it with Corrosive Siphon if you are fighting a large enough group. That thing heals for so much I was constantly having my Wizard´s stamima going up and down like a pogo stick. He had literaly no health at the end though. It seems ranged warbow monks might be the thing to go.

Also, Skaen enemies drop so much good loot on Hard. Im rather grateful for the stash mechanic and am starting to find it less and less annoying with each playthrough. Now if only consumables and scrolls actually worked in combat I can see the "this is your quickbar, not your inventory" design working. Though I still think there should be larger individual party member inventories instead of quickbar inventories.

Though the quickbar inventory size is probably so as to not clutter up the main abilities bar with consumables.

But you could always have a separate ability sub-menu for consumables and scrolls for every character like we have for spells which even if they maintain the current inventory system I wish they would implement.

It was a lone "missing string" archer. I will try your method of attack. If it fails I may see if I can bypass that encounter as he is in a spot where I don't think I really need to kill him to get anywhere.

@Sensuki  I was playing off a saved load but I'd already executed several moves and fights before this encounter. But maybe the save causes the invincibility bug? Oh wait I recall now that I did quicksave after killing two Cultist guards before I encountered him. Hmm.

It was a lone "missing string" archer. I will try your method of attack. If it fails I may see if I can bypass that encounter as he is in a spot where I don't think I really need to kill him to get anywhere.

@Sensuki  I was playing off a saved load but I'd already executed several moves and fights before this encounter. But maybe the save causes the invincibility bug? Oh wait I recall now that I did quicksave after killing two Cultist guards before I encountered him. Hmm.

Yeah, you gotta go 'Iron Man' mode in order to reduce the issues as much as possible, I fired it up last night for an Iron Man run, as I was getting issues with being unable to complete quests and other oddities. LOL -  for the first time in many tries, I got completely waxed by the spiders in the Ogre cave. TPK. End of run. No quest completion. *sigh* Gonna try again this evening.

• Like 1

Try it without saving, be nice to know if the defenses bug is save/load related. I haven't encountered it yet.

I will but I've got a feeling it's related to the "deep wounds" ability Fiebras mentions the "missing stringers" have. I think that's the cause because party members they were targeting went down fast. In most of the fights he targeted the Priest first and that char was down in seconds. They need to do something with that ability or any time you encounter it in game it's going to be a gamebreaker. Might limit the amount of times you can use it one fight to say "once" if it's going to be that powerful.

I can't stay at my computer long enough to finish the game in one sitting.  I can leave the game running for a long time, I guess, and I haven't seen the game degrade while running, so maybe I'll just start a game and pick at it when I get the chance during the day.  I'll probably do a hard run, but I don't want to do any of the bragging rights modes because I want to save something for the finished product.

Like TLN, I had one encounter with someone who simply took a complete pounding.  I killed off all his cultist buddies, and then I settled down to a slog that literally took almost ten minutes.  I used every offensive spell, changed out to different types of damage, even changed position to see if maybe it were related to where he was standing, but eventually my party just whittled him down and he died.  It wasn't even difficult.  Just boring.

I think normal is way too easy in that I can only specifically remember one fpw and that was when I first encountered the beetles.  On the other hand, I've been playing cRPGs since... Temple of Apshai?  Maybe something sooner.  Normal should probably be way too easy for a lot of the backers and that's why they've invested so much time on things like Iron Man and Path of the damned and whatnot.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I don't think it's about bragging rights. I am playing Hard because I want to give feedback on the Hard difficulty because that's the difficulty I probably plan to play in the game.

Haven't tried PoD though, should do that eventually when combat is better.

• Like 1

Same here. Hell, I haven't even played on Hard yet. I decided to test the Normal mode as I figure that's more than likely the setting most people would use. My reference to Iron man simply meant to play through as far as you intend without saving. Not for any bragging rights (really, who the hell cares about my skillz - or lack threeof - in a freakin' video game?) but just to minimize any issues.

I think of you as providing a public service, Sen.  My comment wasn't meant to offend at any rate.  I think a lot of players like to brag about their character builds and in game accomplishments.  If that weren't true, it wouldn't make sense for some games to list STEAM accomplishments as positive design features.  ...And it would take a real loser for someone to take the time to get every single say... Portal accomplishment. :Cant's whistling and looking at the ceiling icon:  I just call things like Iron Man mode and PoD and the like bragging rights modes because I think of them as something the real die-hard players will use.  I'm going to try at least some of these modes, but I'll wait until the finished game, like I said.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I didn't take offense, I was just providing my perspective on the reason why I test on a certain difficulty. All good bro :)

Some people have made some "don't play on Hard then" statements when I complain about the length of the adventuring day.

Edited by Sensuki

I am working on the last section now which is related to a balance issue with recovery time. Matt is then going to do an edit pass, then I will do a final edit. We will then make it into a .pdf and I will record a video for non-english speakers who don't read English very quickly narrating the paper.

Then we will post it in the forums.

• Like 2

I don't think there will be a new patch this week, we are aware of the fact that we need to get it out soon, so that's why we're aiming for Friday. I am literally finishing off the last section now. Then all that remains is Conclusion, Executive Summary and editing.

This one will be purely about the Attribute system. I will be doing some posts on other issues later down the track.

Edited by Sensuki

Just a heads up, Corrosive Siphon affects allies as well.

I wish you used Expose Vulnerabilities there, its such a good spell (minus deflection and DT for all enemies in the area and it only seems to affect enemies) as well as the Burning/falming wounds spellw which amplifies the damage the Wizard does.

Ghost Blades and Chill Fog are also pretty good since the damage is over time in their AOE and Slicken inflicts AOE Knockdown.

Though I guess net + double fireball is also good.

Id like to see someone try the battle Wizard that uses all its self-buffing spells to take on the beetles solo. Its probably doable, though you would end up blowing all your spells in a single encounter. Parasitic Staff, Eldritch Aim, Spirit Shield, all seem to aid you in this.

Just a heads up, Corrosive Siphon affects allies as well.

I wish you used Expose Vulnerabilities there, its such a good spell (minus deflection and DT for all enemies in the area and it only seems to affect enemies) as well as the Burning/falming wounds spellw which amplifies the damage the Wizard does.

Ghost Blades and Chill Fog are also pretty good since the damage is over time in their AOE and Slicken inflicts AOE Knockdown.

Though I guess net + double fireball is also good.

Id like to see someone try the battle Wizard that uses all its self-buffing spells to take on the beetles solo. Its probably doable, though you would end up blowing all your spells in a single encounter. Parasitic Staff, Eldritch Aim, Spirit Shield, all seem to aid you in this.

Yep, I haven't really investigated all of the Wizard spells yet but that sounds like a plan, if it's a spell on the BB Wizard I might give it a go next. I'm going to try and leave the imbalanced Cipher and Druid for last (even though I've done the Chanter), so I'll probably do Rogue, Priest and Ranger next.

Also for those interested our paper is at around about this amount of completion

Section 1: 99.99999% - just need to check for grammatical tense and consistency

Section 2: 95% - Matt needs to finish off a new graph and a paragraph

Section 3: ~75% - I need to do the section conclusion and Matt needs to do an edit pass and add in needed graphs.

Then I need to do a final edit mostly on grammatical tense and consistency across the paper.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1