"Need" to wander around in stealth at double speed

ctdavids

Does anyone else feel like the "best" way to travel around a new area is in the stealth/search mode at double speed because this means you're travelling at a decent clip and can find hidden containers?  That's certainly how I feel, but I'm not convinced I like that.  It just feels a little odd, but since, as far as I can tell, you have to be in stealth mode to find hidden items it seems like the only real option.  I guess I would prefer being able to find those items out of stealth with increased chance based on perception...

I know it's not game-breaking, especially compared to the large number of bugs currently in existence, but it bothers me.  Am I alone?

• Like 1

Just to be clear, my issue is more with having to wander around in scouting mode constantly in order to find the (non-trivial number of) secrets.  Given that I have to do that, I guess I'm glad that I can do it at a reasonable clip, even if that does make all the NPCs look like the freaking road runner.  I just really don't like scouting mode to find secrets thing.  To find traps, ok, but not a fan of it for secrets.

Now, of course, I could just forego secrets. That's an "option", but not really an appealing one.  Anyway, it just bothers me.

+1

The auto-detection of secrets only if using scouting mode is a problem that struck me immediately upon starting the beta.

- It artificially creates frustration when not using it because it's so bloody slow, because you KNOW you'll never find secrets.

- It artificially creates frustration when you're using it because you know you'll ALWAYS find all secret, because it's so bloody slow!

Solution:

- Detach secret detection from scouting mode completely, leaving only Stealth based interactions to it.

- Make secret detection a continuous random check focused around one or more attribute (Perception raises your chance to find them, Intelligence raises the radius in which you can find them, Resolve makes check occur more often, etc). This means you can miss some easy ones and yet find some hard ones.

OR

- Make secret detection a passive fixed value check focused around one or more attributes (see above). This means you'll know you'll find the ones you should find, and yet never find the ones too hard for you currently.

Edited by mutonizer

As was said, speed options will likely be removed in the release version.

I think only Fast will be removed because there is no actual UI button for it as of now.

Otherwise, the "clock" has a: "Pause" UI element and a "Slow" UI element already. Not sure why they'd spend the time and effort to make a Slow UI element and implement it if it's just a beta testing thing.

Edit: Hmm, new bug then...tooltip from clock overlap...can't read the date/time

Edited by mutonizer

That also raises, of course, whether it's only the PC's attributes that matter or those of each char within their own area, etc.

Each Char of course. That allows for quick banters such as some companion goes "Hey! Lookie here!" where you (player) go "man I love that dude!" :)