[BUG?] Cannot buy all camping supplies in the inn

Ink Blot

Question

[DESCRIPTION]

In the inn, when I checked the innkeeper's inventory for sale, i noticed there were 3 camping supplies available. I decided to buy them all. When I tried, I got only one.

[DETAILS]

As above.

1) Ask to buy some ale

2) notice the camping supplies is listed as having 3 in stock.

3) try to buy them. You get only 1

Screenie attached, showing two bundles of supplies in the merchant window, although they're semi-transparent, which seems to indicate they cannot be bought. At this point my party had 4 bundles.

[EXPECTED BEHAVIOR]

I would expect to be able to buy all three unless there is a maximum limit of 4 on the number of camping supplies the party can carry at any given time. If this is the case, then fine. Not sure if there is a limit in place, so that's why I have the question mark in the title.

post-42066-0-44703300-1409801731_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

[Description of the issue]

Similar behaviour, except I was never able to buy any camping supplies.

[DETAILED list of steps to reproduce the issue AND what to look for]

1) Load attached savegame

2) Talk to the innkeeper and attempt to buy items

3) Transfer all camping supplies to purchase area

4) Attempt to purchase - fails to transfer (or spend money)

[Expected behaviour]

Purchased/transfered/amounts deducted.

[Files]

Savegames / Screenshots / Crash dumps / Other files. If a file refuses to upload as an attachment, please try zipping it.

CampingSupplies.zip

Camping supplies are supposed to be limited. The amount you can carry at any one time is affected by your difficulty level.

Thanks for the heads up. I figured it may be something of this nature, but didn't seem to be able to track down any documentation about it.

Ah. If that's what's going on, they need a better system to explain it.  I assumed the limitation by difficulty level was a starting amount, not a constant limit.  And in any event, the expectation can't be for players to have kept up with all the kickstarter updates.  Either a message when you try to pickup too many or a UI thing like listing 2/2 or 1/7 or whatever about the number of camping supplies so it's clear there's a limit.

And in any event, the expectation can't be for players to have kept up with all the kickstarter updates.  Either a message when you try to pickup too many or a UI thing like listing 2/2 or 1/7 or whatever about the number of camping supplies so it's clear there's a limit.

Straight from the "How To: Game Basics" link in this section of the Backer Beta forum:

"The amount of Camping Supplies you can carry is dependent on the difficulty setting of the game. Higher levels of difficulty will have more restrictions on supplies."

Edit: I'd imagine in the full game it'll be introduced early on as well as be in the release manual.

Edited by piercehead

Hopefully you're right about it being made clear in a tutorial portion or something.  That said, I still think that an at-time notification, like a popup or at least a combat log message indicating that you're at a maximum number is a good idea.  If it were incredibly complicated to do so then I could see a reason to skip it.  But there's already something like this for when you try to pick a lock and don't have the mechanics, so they obviously have a method to do so.

Things that are only explained once, much less only in a manual/post, are likely to be missed and/or forgotten by the time they actually come up (and that's assuming people read the manual/post).  Case in point being this here situation since I actually did read that post at one point.

• Like 1

Some in game feedback would eventually be good too. "You have purchased the maximum number of camping supplies (insert appropriate integer here) that your party can carry, and cannot carry any more." Or something similar should show on the screen when you attempt to purchase over your limit.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Also, I can confirm this isn't just an issue with having the max number of supplies for the difficulty level.  I started a new game (on Path of Damned), rested, and attempted to buy 1 supply. No dice.

Higher difficulties allow fewer supplies, though, don't they? If so, perhaps it has to do with the starting numner. If you still start with 3 on PoD setting, and your max is actually 2, then when you rest once, you still wouldn't be able to replenish. Starting with 3 in this case would be a bug though, IMO.

On a side note, IMO, on easy or normal you should be able to carry as many camping supplies as you have party members. Each one carries one, with a minimum of 3 allowed if you have fewer than 3 characters in the group. But that's just a thought I figured I'd throw out there.

From Josh Sawyer:

"Based on your difficulty settings, the party can carry a maximum number of Camp Supplies (currently ranging from 6 to 2)."

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Yeah, I just checked it out. Started a new game on PoD setting and immediately went to the inn. You do start with 3 bundles of supplies. Tried to buy camping supplies and it actually removed one from the party and automatically sold it to the innkeeper (you get the money for it). You cannot buy it back, So 2 is the limit on PoD and this neatly explains what ctdavids experienced.

So the only 'bug' in that scenario, IMO, is actually starting with 3 bundles of camping gear.