[BUG] Can't go upstairs in Dracogen Inn -- BB v278

Marceror

Question

My party of 5 can't seem to make it upstairs in the Dracogen in. I click on the stair icon. Expected behavior is that my party goes up the stairs.

Actual behavior is that I receive the "You must gather your party before venturing forth" message, and they never make it upstairs.

My party consists of the 4 BB companions, my ranger and his bear companion, Oso.

Edited by cRichards

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

15 answers to this question

[Description of the issue]

As stated in initial post - can't go upstairs and get message "You must gather your party before venturing forth"

[DETAILED list of steps to reproduce the issue AND what to look for]

Try and go upstairs without talking to Dengler first

[Expected behaviour]

Expect to be able to explore upstairs without talking to Dengler

OR

a better message such as - 'Can't go upstairs until the landlord agrees'

[Other remarks / Comments]

Can talk to Dengler and say goodbye straight away without asking any questions and can then go upstairs

I am also playing a ranger with lion, haven't tried with any other character class

Thanks for the info, guys. This is a known issue with a large party plus an animal companion having issues reaching the transition points. We have seen this occur in a few areas, but if you see it anywhere else, please make sure to make a new post about it so we can address the issue. Keep up the great work on the new version.  8)

• Like 2

cRichards: Please make the clickable area for the transition bigger. As it is now, you need to click the round icon specifically. It would be nice if it was a bigger click-trigger (the rest invisible, of course). :)

EDIT: And if I may, I'll reiterate my suggestion of making more standard icons like that, so we don't get to see a door when we click on the ogre cave, for instance.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Thanks for the info, guys. This is a known issue with a large party plus an animal companion having issues reaching the transition points. We have seen this occur in a few areas, but if you see it anywhere else, please make sure to make a new post about it so we can address the issue. Keep up the great work on the new version.  8)

Thanks for the response. It *seemed* like they weren't getting close enough.

I guess my instinct to ditch my ranger and run a paladin was correct.

I had the same problem, unless you manually position the party members and the bear closer to the stairs, then you can transition to upstairs

If that is happening on a lot of transitions, it sounds like that might be more trouble than it's worth. Though good to know you found a way to work around it.

+1

Ive managed to go up after clumping everyone together and then changing the formation to resemble the way they are so that they dont try to move around.

I think party position restrictions for area transitions should be much looser than they are now.

I cant imagine how hard it would be for a party of 5 rangers + companions to go up the stairs (or 5 chanters + skelletons). And I do plan on making one eventually.

Edit: Have experienced this in the area transition just to the left of the beta starting area. Before crossing the bridge.

Edit 2: Happens with the Bear and Antelope. Much less annoying to move people around with the Antelope.

Edited by Fiebras

Yeah, essentially you "click past" the zone transition so that your front characters stop past it rather than just at it. Then, once everyone is there you click the transition and it works.  Bit annoying.  In fairness, this happened occassionally in the infinity engine games too (at least IWD, which I just finished playing).  But it does seem a bit more prevalent here.

Had the same issue as OP (and with the same party combination). Glad to read that there are some workarounds, even with bears in the party.

Had assumed it was because bears (like classic Who Daleks) just don't like stairs ;)

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

Had the same issue as OP (and with the same party combination). Glad to read that there are some workarounds, even with bears in the party.

Had assumed it was because bears (like classic Who Daleks) just don't like stairs ;)

I actually wouldn't mind something like that, if there was an option to leave the bear downstairs, or better yet, outside.

• Like 1

I hired a new companion as a Ranger PC (Bear companion) and couldn't go upstairs either.  I managed to go outside the inn though, but then my new hired companion became invisible and unselectable.  Couldn't progress since the new companion could not move.