Second impressions thread! [Build 278 version]

Tartantyco

The first Beta patch is out. Share your opinions as you dissect the newest build of Pillars of Eternity.

Update size is 1.7 GB.

Edited by Tartantyco
  • Like 1

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Impressed by the size already.  They clearly changed quite a bit for this version update.  It is also ahead of even what they were playing at gamescom.

I haven't looked closely enough at the data files to know, but I'm guessing any small change to a data file or part of a file is going to require that file be rewritten to Steam. This doesn't likely mean they've made 1.7GB worth of changes.

Edit: typo

Edited by Flow

Still getting the same problem as when the game first got released. Steam won't launch the game. It gets stuck in a loop where it tries to launch the game but it only brings me to the store page and it just keeps retrying.

Edited by _DrMario_

The few initial fixes I've noticed:

Pathfinding is now far superior, and selection circles can't overlap anymore.

Several new options, such as V-Sync.

Loot goes away once you've picked it up.

Movement speed seems slightly slower now.

Fights seem to take a little longer, meaning you have a better grasp on the action.

• Like 6

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I'm having some glitches with the spiders where they seemingly teleport if they get stuck on something, and they occasionally keep walking into my characters for about a second before attacking.

I also noticed that the level 3 fireball spell has a very reduced AoE for the BB Wizard. I forgot to check if there was a change to the BB Wizard, the Intellect bonus, or the spell itself.

• Like 2

[slap Aloth]

3 new portraits:

The one on the left looks like a Na'vi from Avatar.

[slap Aloth]

I also noticed that the level 3 fireball spell has a very reduced AoE for the BB Wizard. I forgot to check if there was a change to the BB Wizard, the Intellect bonus, or the spell itself.

The fire-ball-bearing spell?

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

[slap Aloth]

I didn't notice this during 257, but this has to be the most hilarious bug ever:

• The Continue button loads the oldest save instead of the most recent.

Edited by Tartantyco
  • Like 4

[slap Aloth]

Strange. For me it's much larger. Are you getting the same as in the picture attached?

post-111143-0-02535600-1409796571_thumb.png

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

Combat pacing feels very different. I'm almost having to relearn because I was so used to the break-neck pace before. Generally I can now sit-back and think more tactically and don't have to pause nearly as much. I have much more time to think about my actions and use my abilities.

This just went from a twitch game to a tactical game. Making good tactical choices now feels more important than making constant use of the spacebar.

I'm also noticing improvements with the lighting engine specifically when in combat, using abilities and how it casts light on characters. 

The improved screen scroll-speed is so nice too.

Noticed a few new sound effects / audio feedback as well when clicking or hovering on things.

Edited by Qiushui
  • Like 6

Strange. For me it's much larger. Are you getting the same as in the picture attached?

It's hard to tell exactly, but that seems about the same size as mine. It used to be much larger, though.

[slap Aloth]

It's hard to tell exactly, but that seems about the same size as mine. It used to be much larger, though.

Then, for some reasom, it was smaller for my BB Wizard. About half the radius in that picture. Maybe smaller.

sign.jpg