Possible bug with Will Defense

Sensuki

Question

Is there any particular reason why Fortitude and Reflex are always 12 points higher than Will at level 1? 

[steps to reproduce]

Create any character that does not get a bonus to Intellect or Resolve (as they increase Will Defense)
Do not level up any attributes, make sure that Intellect and Resolve are both at 3
Start a game and open the Character Record
Will Defense will always be 9, whereas Fortitude and Reflex will be something like 21-24

[Expected Behavior]

Not sure because the Class Descriptions in the Character Creation Menu do not have any values for Fortitude, Reflex and Will and the values in the Inventory and Character Record do not have any mouseover tooltips explaining where the bonuses come from

[Other remarks / Comments]

The game is applying Intellect and Resolve to Will, but I don't know if it's applying any starting class bonuses that they're supposed to have, OR Fortitude and Reflex have been accidentally bumped by 12 points at level 1, and should actually be 9 each at 3 points in their respective stats.

MTtrUIT.jpg

Edited by Sensuki

7 answers to this question

Also is there a reason why the progression through defenses is not a constant value ? I thought they were supposed to progress linearly, staggered progression seems at odds with the rest of the system.

Might 3 / Con 3 - Fort 21  | 
Might 4 / Con 3 - Fort 23  | Might 3 Con 4 - 23
Might 5 / Con 3 - Fort 24  | Might 4 Con 4 - 24
Might 6 / Con 3 - Fort 26  | Might 4 Con 5 - 26
Might 7 / Con 3 - Fort 27
Might 8 / Con 3 - Fort 29
Might 9 / Con 3 - Fort 30

Edited by Sensuki

There's no other system in the game that does this, it just seems REALLY strange and it also makes it possible to get more Defense bonuses by optimally stacking points.

That said, the thread was more about the fact that either Fort and Ref have too much of a bonus, or Will has too little *shrug*

Edited by Sensuki

Each stat effectively add +1 or +2, depending if you have an odd or even sum of MIG + CON. You could say that D&D had  0.5 x (10 - Stat) round down bonus, which again adds more oomph when you reach an even number than an odd number.

I don't particularly have a problem with this, but you're right that stats and defences should be treated symmetrically. I.e.

Fort = 12 + 1.5 x (MIG + CON), round down

Ref = 12 + 1.5 x (DEX + PER), round down

Will = 12 + 1.5 x (INT + RES), round down

What seems to be missing here is the +12 to Will. Test with different stats of INT + RES, see if they give you the same progression as in your post with MIG/CON, offset by -12.

Getting rid of the +1 / +2 sometimes would be a simple matter of using an integer multiplier of (x2, x3, ...) instead of x1.5. It would also help make stats more meaningful if they gave more substantial bonuses.

Edited by Headbomb

Hello,

This is an interesting find. I spoke with Josh about this and it seems that there is at least one bug at play here. This has been added to our database so that our programmers can find the issue and fix it.

Thank you for your continued support during the beta!  :thumbsup: