Just moved to Denmark. Now what?

PrimeJunta

I've just relocated to Aarhus, Denmark, for a year and a half.

This is way cool so far. Very similar to Finland in most ways, which makes the differences stand out—like, better selection of higher-quality stuff in the corner supermarket, different fish at the fishmonger, generally better attention to "quality of life" stuff with what seems like more sensible rules that leave room for common sense (like a "dog forest" which isn't even fenced out, and just has a signpost saying 'dogs off the leash - but under full control,') much better cycling arrangements... but no sorting of garbage, weirdly old-fashioned banking with international credit cards not accepted in many places, general dearth of goat cheese, electric sockets up by the light switches instead of where they belong, near the floor.

Everbody also seems extremely laid-back, open, friendly, and welcoming.

Annoyed at not speaking the language, especially because it's so close I can almost feel it—I speak Moominswedish kind of OK, and it's close enough that I can understand written Danish pretty well. I also look pretty Nordic and people talk Danish at me. But no clue what they're saying. Going to enroll in some language classes as soon as I'm properly registered.

So, any Danes, or expats living in Denmark here willing to offer any pointers?

Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 6

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Aarhus is a nice university city, with a great climate. It feels small for being such a populated urban place. Over one million people reside there. Have fun. For some reason, when I was there a couple of weeks, I noticed one big difference from the eastern Baltic. Almost every dinner and diner had steak as its main thing on the plate. I got flashes from Australia all over again. Mind you, this was 20 years ago, so things may have changed considerably in Aarhus, including food culture and diet habits. Plenty of smokers as well, back then. Also, enjoy the parks and the woodlands there: "Ud I den dejlige natur!"

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I've just relocated to Aarhus, Denmark, for a year and a half.

This is way cool so far. Very similar to Finland in most ways, which makes the differences stand out—like, better selection of higher-quality stuff in the corner supermarket, different fish at the fishmonger, generally better attention to "quality of life" stuff with what seems like more sensible rules that leave room for common sense (like a "dog forest" which isn't even fenced out, and just has a signpost saying 'dogs off the leash - but under full control,') much better cycling arrangements... but no sorting of garbage, weirdly old-fashioned banking with international credit cards not accepted in many places, general dearth of goat cheese, electric sockets up by the light switches instead of where they belong, near the floor.

Everbody also seems extremely laid-back, open, friendly, and welcoming.

Annoyed at not speaking the language, especially because it's so close I can almost feel it—I speak Moominswedish kind of OK, and it's close enough that I can understand written Danish pretty well. I also look pretty Nordic and people talk Danish at me. But no clue what they're saying. Going to enroll in some language classes as soon as I'm properly registered.

So, any Danes, or expats living in Denmark here willing to offer any pointers?

So Gorgon, Chris92 and Ros all live in Denmark that I know of . I'm sure they will comment soon :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ha! I'm actually living just next to Riis Skov, which is super-nice, especially for the dog. Went for a little run with him there this morning actually. There's even a sort of outdoor gym there with a fantastic view over the Aarhus Bay; it really invites you to do a small workout after the run. It's a nice little forest, very civilized.

Don't have many pictures yet, but here's the view from our balcony this morning:

15125012825_04909757be_k_d.jpg

• Like 6

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

1, Meet Rosbjerg

2, Consume alchohol

3, ????

4, Post pictures

Pretty much this.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm way over in Copenhagen, Aarhus is like .. 200 km away or something! If you come to CPH by any chance however I'd be more than happy to show you around. :)

As for tips, get to know Danes now. When the colder months comes around (which will feel like early spring for you I imagine) we become asocial shut-ins.

edit:

Aarhus is a nice university city, with a great climate. It feels small for being such a populated urban place. Over one million people reside there. Have fun.

Plenty of smokers as well, back then. Also, enjoy the parks and the woodlands there: "Ud I den dejlige natur!"

There's barely a million in Copenhagen and less than 400.000 in the Aarhus municipal... and not many smokers any more either, we all went healthy.. even I quit!

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

Topical:

• Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The key is to claim the territory as yours so that other people from your home country don't try to come over and claim it as theirs.

Yesterday I encountered a waitress at my German cafe who not only expertly responded to an English customer without hesitation, but did so with an American accent, which is rare for northern Germany. (Most who practice their English would be taught British English) Her name was also Kimberly. I proceeded to interrogate her and discover she was an American German rather than a German American and didn't actually have American citizenship, just American family and one of them fancier green cards for easy travel there; not quite a dual citizen like me and also the other way around as far as where she was initially born. Lucky for her, or I would've had to kick her out on the grounds that I have claimed my town and am the only American allowed to be here. So start combing the streets for any Finnish people and weed them out so you can rule the streets with an iron fist without your country's leader finding out and getting mad at you.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Eh, Finland's like that in the winter too, only even colder and darker I'd expect. I feel quite un-social between November and February too. I've been introducing myself to the neighbors a bit; there's a nice young couple just across, some old ladies downstairs, the concierge named Peter, and so on.

I wonder if there's a RPG club here somewhere? If there is maybe I'll join that...

• Like 1

Eh, Finland's like that in the winter too, only even colder and darker I'd expect. I feel quite un-social between November and February too. I've been introducing myself to the neighbors a bit; there's a nice young couple just across, some old ladies downstairs, the concierge named Peter, and so on.

I wonder if there's a RPG club here somewhere? If there is maybe I'll join that...

Prime we need some other details

• Why did you move to Denmark?
  • Who are you staying with
  • What are your hobbies
  • Why are you staying outside of Copenhagen, I assume its work related?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Since you asked...

1. I am Prince Consort. My wife got a position at the university here, and I came with. The company I work with already has a distributed software development team so it was no problem to work remotely, so I could even keep my job.
  2. We're renting our own place.
  3. I have been known to play role-playing games from time to time. I have other hobbies but most aren't all that social (photography, writing, that sort of thing).
  4. I think point 1 already covered that.
  • Like 3

You're married?

Scratch drinking with Ros then.

• Like 5

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

You're married?

Scratch drinking with Ros then.

:lol:....yeah probably a good idea

John Milton 

skäe du nu äte litche dänske pöölse å kartoffelsalat? De e god!

*imaginary danish used*

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy