Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Companion Portrait Consistency

portraits companion portraits

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Grotesque

Grotesque

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I remember playing Baldur's Gate for the first time and being struck by awe at how gorgeous and high quality the portraits were.

I literally haven't seen till that day something similar in quality/execution.

Baldur's Gate 2 I remember telling to mysels: "Ok... What Happened?"

PoE portraits are not BG quality, that's for sure but better than BG2.

Maybe its time to derail this thread into a compendium of portraits similar in BG quality for future use :)

Danathion

Danathion

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

For those here who are not also over on the Baldur's Gate forum (don't imagine there will be many), you may be interested to have a look at Isandir's work. He has been creating portraits for the Enhanced Editions in a style faithful to BG. In my opinion, they are outstanding.

http://isandir.com/

Zansatsu

Zansatsu

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 287 posts

For those here who are not also over on the Baldur's Gate forum (don't imagine there will be many), you may be interested to have a look at Isandir's work. He has been creating portraits for the Enhanced Editions in a style faithful to BG. In my opinion, they are outstanding.

Some of them just look like air brushed photo's of celebs putting them in armor. They don't really look like artwork and more like computer generated images. Not to my taste. Some though look great but most eeeeuuuuuuwwww.

• Moirnelithe likes this

Tartantyco

Tartantyco

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Those are awful. Looks like something out of a teen magazine.

Fearabbit

Fearabbit

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 343 posts

Kaz will be doing a pass on all portraits for consistency.

I don't know if that was the plan all along or if you're putting her through some horrible crunch time now, but... thank you! That sounds awesome and I can't wait to see the result.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I will be nicer than other posters....  Some of those are pretty solid, but it is off putting seeing a portrait based clearly on a famous actor that is just a touched up photo of them.  Also while some of them are actually really good, an equal number are actually pretty bad.  Still there are some solid ones to make use of there for sure.

• Silent Winter likes this

Seari

Seari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 417 posts

I like these a lot, but I have no idea who made them.

cScpE3.pngo1vWRv.jpghcFkxS.pnghVvK8N.pngrkKz3z.jpg

• Tuckey, JPNotADragon, Namutree and 2 others like this

Danathion

Danathion

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I will be nicer than other posters....  Some of those are pretty solid, but it is off putting seeing a portrait based clearly on a famous actor that is just a touched up photo of them.  Also while some of them are actually really good, an equal number are actually pretty bad.  Still there are some solid ones to make use of there for sure.

On behalf of the artist, thank you for tempering your criticism. :)  Many of them are forum members' personal requests and others were commissioned for NPC mods, so they are the way they are because that's what was asked for.

Art being really rather subjective, it's understandable that they're not to everyone's taste.  I agree that personally I wouldn't use all of them. In fact, I prefer not to use custom portraits - I totally agree with the feelings expressed in the second post by pointfiveo. So, that I would even consider using any of them is significant (if only to me ;) ), I do think those are outstanding.

• Zansatsu likes this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like these a lot, but I have no idea who made them.

cScpE3.pngo1vWRv.jpghcFkxS.pnghVvK8N.pngrkKz3z.jpg

They are really good. Where did you get them? I'd like to add them to my portraits folder. :)

Seari

Seari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 417 posts

I like these a lot, but I have no idea who made them

They are really good. Where did you get them? I'd like to add them to my portraits folder. :)

I don't remember where I found them. Uploaded the best quality that I have, here you go.

edit: You will have to resize them and change them to .png to make them work in PoE, I think.

Edited by Seari, 03 September 2014 - 05:20 PM.

• Silent Winter and InsaneCommander like this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So, what do you think about these? I like the first 2.

EDIT: But they don't have the same quality as some of the others.

Attached Files

Edited by InsaneCommander, 03 September 2014 - 05:27 PM.

• Seari, Danathion, Silent Winter and 1 other like this

Seari

Seari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 417 posts

I like them, esp. the first one. There's something wrong with the eyes in the third one. I'm pretty sure Kaz still has to polish those up.

edit: They seem to be more in line with the two companion portraits, awesome.

Edited by Seari, 03 September 2014 - 05:31 PM.

• Danathion and InsaneCommander like this

MasterPrudent

MasterPrudent

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Kaz will be doing a pass on all portraits for consistency.

I don't know if that was the plan all along or if you're putting her through some horrible crunch time now, but... thank you! That sounds awesome and I can't wait to see the result.

Kaz is a he! But he posted that someone else did the level one druid icons the other day so he might be getting a little more help with the 2D art than most of us forumites had assumed.

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like them, esp. the first one. There's something wrong with the eyes in the third one. I'm pretty sure Kaz still has to polish those up.

edit: They seem to be more in line with the two companion portraits, awesome.

Yes, I'm sure it's not the final version. But I already like them. Specially the Aumaua with the mask.

Seari

Seari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 417 posts

Yes, I'm sure it's not the final version. But I already like them. Specially the Aumaua with the mask.

Yeah that one is really badass. Considering playing an aumaua for my first playthrough. :)

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If I had a gun, with two bullets, and was in a room with Hitler, bin Laden, and whoever made the BGII portraits, I would shoot whoever made the BGII portraits twice.

Yeah... this is totally reasonable. The art in BG is *far worse* than the wholesale slaughter of millions of people. Good call. Really, truly, it is nice to see I'm among such well-reasoned posters here on the forums.

It's hyperbole, don't be an idiot.

Hyperbole is exaggeration. Like saying you ran a million miles this morning. 

What Tartantyco crafted is an epigram: 'a concise, witty, memorable, and sometimes surprising or satirical statement'. No exaggeration. Could even take it further, call it an anticlimactic epigram: 'a figure of speech in which statements gradually descend in order of importance'. He went from Hitler, to bin Laden, to the artist. 

Pretty damn funny no matter what it's called.  

• Namutree likes this

Zitchiock

Zitchiock

Runesmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Did you know that Shar-Teel and Viconia used the same model?

Attached Files

• Seari and InsaneCommander like this

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I agree - some of them retain too much of the photo-ness, some the eyes look a little off (perhaps because they stand out as photo-ness) but some are also pretty good.

(in fact I nabbed one to replace default-dude in my new BG playthrough - 1st time with a Paladin (if you don't count starting a paladin a few months back and the computer dying before cloakwood.))

(Prefer to make my own but the aforementioned dead computer was my render-machine.  Luckily laptop can run BG.)

• Karkarov, Danathion and InsaneCommander like this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah that one is really badass. Considering playing an aumaua for my first playthrough. :)

Hey I just realized. Your portrait is Henry Cavill.

• Seari likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

Kaz has done some new portraits - quality = *Hi5*

u8vckRq.png

Kaz captures the IWD art style.