Companion Portrait Consistency

Seari

BG2 is a mixed bag.  Some of the portraits are really quite good.  Keldorn, Viconia, Sarevok.... all great.  Then you have your imoen, Aerie, and Valygar.... yeah.  BG1 was consistent but the character did look like photo's not like portraits.  That said if you asked me which I prefered of the two I would say BG1.

I am glad Eternity is going for it's own style though and I look forward to seeing the last portrait release.

• Like 4

Baldur's Gate II did portraits way better

If I had a gun, with two bullets, and was in a room with Hitler, bin Laden, and whoever made the BGII portraits, I would shoot whoever made the BGII portraits twice.

Yeah... this is totally reasonable. The art in BG is *far worse* than the wholesale slaughter of millions of people. Good call. Really, truly, it is nice to see I'm among such well-reasoned posters here on the forums.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

If I had a gun, with two bullets, and was in a room with Hitler, bin Laden, and whoever made the BGII portraits, I would shoot whoever made the BGII portraits twice.

Yeah... this is totally reasonable. The art in BG is *far worse* than the wholesale slaughter of millions of people. Good call. Really, truly, it is nice to see I'm among such well-reasoned posters here on the forums.

It's hyperbole, don't be an idiot.

Correction, it's idiotic hyperbole, and in very poor taste.

"Hyperbole" isn't a pass to say whatever you want.

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 1

Commodore Marceror, yet again valiantly navigating the HMS Drama Queen through stormy weather in the Tea Cup Sea.

• Like 3

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Commodore Marceror, yet again valiantly navigating the HMS Drama Queen through stormy weather in the Tea Cup Sea.

Talking about yourself again I see.

That is quite possibly the worst attempt at a comeback line I have ever heard.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

popcorn.jpg

Can we at least all agree that IWD and IWD2 portraits were awesome?

Also, can we have that option where you repeatedly click a character and they start getting all sassy with you after a while?

• Like 1

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

Not a fan of the IWD2 portraits. My ranking is:

1. Baldur's Gate

2. Icewind Dale

3. Icewind Dale 2

4. Baldur's Gate II

[slap Aloth]

Icewind Dale series art was strong all around.

1) IWD (Jason Manley)

1a) IWD2 (Justin Sweet )

3) BG (Mike Sass)

4) BG2 (Mike Sass)

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Correction, it's idiotic hyperbole, and in very poor taste.

"Hyperbole" isn't a pass to say whatever you want.

Well, what I was going to say was that, if I were standing in the room with him in possession of a similarly loaded gun I know who I'd shoot twice ;)

That may be hyperbole though...

Edit:

I should say I agree about the portraits - BG's are, by far, superior!

Edited by Danathion

I remember playing Baldur's Gate for the first time and being struck by awe at how gorgeous and high quality the portraits were.

I literally haven't seen till that day something similar in quality/execution.

Baldur's Gate 2 I remember telling to mysels: "Ok... What Happened?"

PoE portraits are not BG quality, that's for sure but better than BG2.

Maybe its time to derail this thread into a compendium of portraits similar in BG quality for future use :)

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

For those here who are not also over on the Baldur's Gate forum (don't imagine there will be many), you may be interested to have a look at Isandir's work. He has been creating portraits for the Enhanced Editions in a style faithful to BG. In my opinion, they are outstanding.

http://isandir.com/

Some of them just look like air brushed photo's of celebs putting them in armor. They don't really look like artwork and more like computer generated images. Not to my taste. Some though look great but most eeeeuuuuuuwwww.

• Like 1

For those here who are not also over on the Baldur's Gate forum (don't imagine there will be many), you may be interested to have a look at Isandir's work. He has been creating portraits for the Enhanced Editions in a style faithful to BG. In my opinion, they are outstanding.

Those are awful. Looks like something out of a teen magazine.

[slap Aloth]

I will be nicer than other posters....  Some of those are pretty solid, but it is off putting seeing a portrait based clearly on a famous actor that is just a touched up photo of them.  Also while some of them are actually really good, an equal number are actually pretty bad.  Still there are some solid ones to make use of there for sure.

• Like 1

I will be nicer than other posters....  Some of those are pretty solid, but it is off putting seeing a portrait based clearly on a famous actor that is just a touched up photo of them.  Also while some of them are actually really good, an equal number are actually pretty bad.  Still there are some solid ones to make use of there for sure.

On behalf of the artist, thank you for tempering your criticism. :)  Many of them are forum members' personal requests and others were commissioned for NPC mods, so they are the way they are because that's what was asked for.

Art being really rather subjective, it's understandable that they're not to everyone's taste.  I agree that personally I wouldn't use all of them. In fact, I prefer not to use custom portraits - I totally agree with the feelings expressed in the second post by pointfiveo. So, that I would even consider using any of them is significant (if only to me ;) ), I do think those are outstanding.

• Like 1

I like these a lot, but I have no idea who made them

They are really good. Where did you get them? I'd like to add them to my portraits folder. :)

I don't remember where I found them. Uploaded the best quality that I have, here you go.

edit: You will have to resize them and change them to .png to make them work in PoE, I think.

Edited by Seari
  • Like 2