The Great Beta Backer Battle Tactics Thread

Beta Backers!

Time to find out how we're all kicking ass in the beta! My go-to character is a Death God-like Cipher with INT maxed at 20, DEX at 19, MIG at 18 and the remaining points are dumped into PER at 15.  

I usually open combat by sending my BB Fighter to draw the aggro of the mob and then slam them with my Cipher's Mental Binding power. I then focus fire on one mob at a time till the group has been destroyed.

I use lots of single target spells from my BB Wizard along with the BB Priest's Divine Mark and Repulsing Seal. I'm also ready to stack the BB Priest's Circle of Protection and Blessing to increase the survivability of the BB Fighter.The rogue is pretty damn useless. He's usually on the Reckless Assault modal, auto attacking with the occasional.

How about you? What strategies do you use to PWN the Backer Beta?  :devil:

Edited by swordofthesith
  • Like 3

I like your style, swordofthesith! We definitely need more positive threads like this, when people like me tend to get snagged on negative bits and pieces and other criticisms.

I'll pass on giving you go-to characters, though, until I get to try out the combat for real, and also, until I get to level up. This will be fun. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I equip my Mage or Rogue with a ranged weapon, shoot a mook, and then run behind my Paladin and BB Fighter. Once everyone has dogpiled into the center I just autoattack until its over. Occasionally Ill use Knockdown but I get an annoying sound effect loop when I use it so its very rare, only when I get bored watching the autoattack. I try to position the Rogue to do Roguey things while Knockdown is in effect but Im not sure if anything is working. I'll sometimes try to use that Paladin ability that adds 1 BILLION percent damage but its only good for one round (?) and I cant determine if Im supposed to activate the ability, wait for a round and then attack or if Im supposed to activate the ability and then target the mook for it to work. :shrugz: Too many slight variants of the caster class spells usually means I wind up using none of them.

• Like 3

I'll sometimes try to use that Paladin ability that adds 1 BILLION percent damage but its only good for one round (?) and I cant determine if Im supposed to activate the ability, wait for a round and then attack or if Im supposed to activate the ability and then target the mook for it to work. :shrugz: Too many slight variants of the caster class spells usually means I wind up using none of them.

I rolled Paladin a few days ago to give it a test run and tried to use Flames of Devotion but wasn't so sure if I hit. I will try and test it out again today and see what kind of damage it can do. 

Still slogging though the options myself but letting the fighter draw the mob while the cleric keeps the party alive and having the others hang back a bit - rogue with bow/hobble (have no clue if hobble is doing anything), mage with occasional "safe" spell in combat or opening salvo, Ranger marking then shooting while animal attacks same foe is standard.

Was extremely disappointed to see my entire party take damage from that stamina drain spell the mage has - nothing in the description led me to think it was an AOE.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

The rogue is pretty damn useless. He's usually on the Reckless Assault modal, auto attacking with the occasional.

Hmmm, I made a PC rogue and hired another rogue (both Dwarves). Fighter tanks; 3 rogues come in right after and get all stabby; things die very quickly.

If a rogue draws fire, use escape to move just out of range, priest heals, and then rogue wades in and gets all stabby again.

A high Con, high Res Chanter with a sabre mainhand and pistol offhand and mostly status affecting chanter abilities (stun, fear, etc..).  Fighter tanks Chanter Flanks.  Priest mostly I used glyphs with and the occasional stamina buff/heal.  The wizard I gave a rifle and brigandine armor and used his spells in more of a "turn the tide" fashion.  If I could do without wizard spells then I didn't use them however if I miscalculated an encounter I had the spells as a contingency of sorts.  the rouge I primarily used to pick off weaker/weakened enemies.

• Like 1

I don't have a favorite tactic because I didn't want to get too far in the beta, for the same reason I'd been avoiding the forum here for so long, I don't want to get spoiled too much.  My only battle was against Medreth, and that ended up being a slugfest rather than a  tactical encounter.  lol  Although I did get out a few spells at least during the fistfight.  My first run at the beta was with my favorite class, the wizard.  I've decided to clear out the beta after the patch, and I'm going to celebrate some ol' skool beatdown by creating an homage to Homer in the form of a chanter.  So I don't really have any good battle tactics, but I'm soaking up what I read from you guys and thinking of some.  Keep those ideas coming!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!