Pallegina's voice acting

Hormalakh

placeholder or not, it's still terrible. they might have well just done "placeholder text 1 goes here" and voice acted that instead. studio time isn't cheap especially for recording. you don't "placeholder" ridiculously stupid stuff like that.

you used the half-life making of as your example. but in that example, her voice was used as it was with the tempo and everything. the way this "actress" says her lines rushes through them all so fast you can't even take in what she's saying if the lines are longer than 1-3 words.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

You mean it sounds almost like it's...placeholder? Sigh. Guys, seriously, could you at least just limit yourself to slagging off content that's actually in-game.

Maybe I need to start going at this forum like I did about the Destiny Alpha.

Here let's link a nice video so everyone understands what non final voices sound like.  I am sure we will recognize this one.

http://youtu.be/STlRBD3spIo?t=3m47s

What's your point Karkarov?  My point is simple.  Stop trying to hack the game and base your judgements on what is actually presented in the beta.  When we get Pallegina as a companion in game we will here her final real voice.  If it sucks then feel free to unload.  Right now there is no evidence to indicate any voice in the game isn't just placeholder.  In fact this voice isn't even in the game so why did it even get a thread?

I had no idea Pallegina will be a godlike robot.

Edited by Seari

Listening to raw sound sets from IE games isn't a joy ride either in most cases. But in game it's awesome. So I have to disagree on that one.

sorry i'm calling bull**** on that. look up viconia or any of the other npcs from bg2 on youtbue. they sound fantastic.

As a huge Viconia and Grey Delisle fan I can't disagree with you on that one. And I never would. But most of the "click reponses", not all of them, are pretty boring in raw format. I haven't heard Pallegina's conversations with other npcs and so on, but I imagine that it is another story than what we heard so far.

placeholder or not, it's still terrible. they might have well just done "placeholder text 1 goes here" and voice acted that instead. studio time isn't cheap especially for recording. you don't "placeholder" ridiculously stupid stuff like that.

What?

Yes, .... yes you do.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 2

in the files sensuki uploaded there a few longer lines in there. listen to those..

@c2b et al. so what you're saying is "wait...this is beta. it's not finished yet." Fine, i'll take your argument. please let me know when I can start complaining about the lack of attention to detail for a "feature and content complete" beta. Or are you saying i should wait until the game comes out? after everything's done and complete when there's no chance that the voice-acting will be scrutinized?

please let me know when it's ok in the timeline to voice my concerns. thanks.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

in the files sensuki uploaded there a few longer lines in there. listen to those..

@c2b et al. so what you're saying is "wait...this is beta. it's not finished yet." Fine, i'll take your argument. please let me know when I can start complaining about the lack of attention to detail for a "feature and content complete" beta. Or are you saying i should wait until the game comes out? after everything's done and complete when there's no chance that the voice-acting will be scrutinized?

No, I'm not saying that. Where did I say that?

As I said on RPGCodex. Bitch all you like about the quality. Because it is terrible atm and until we have confirmation that it is a placeholder its what we know.

VFX

The team is continuing to crank away at VFX. It is one of the areas of the game (along with narrative and audio) that are not at an Alpha level, which is intentional. The later on the project that you can bring the VFX team on, the lower the amount of rework that they will have to do on assets that may get changed.

We have added VFX on a little less than half of the spells and abilities, on all of our VFX creatures (creatures that are VFX driven instead of our normal creature pipeline), and on all of the critical path areas. We are scheduled to be finished with VFX in a couple of months.

pe-anslogs-compass-thumb-580.jpg

Audio

Much like VFX, audio usually comes onto our projects a bit later than other departments. Many of our areas have had an ambience pass and are sounding really good. Same goes for our creatures - more and more of their SFX are being hooked up every day. We have also completed our initial pass on things like UI sounds, and very shortly, our audio team will create sounds for our spells and abilities.

Justin (Audio Director) has been working on finishing all of the music tracks for the game. In fact, he just finished composing our main theme.

Much like VFX, this audio team is scheduled to finish in a couple of months.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66310-update-80-state-of-the-project-from-alpha-to-beta/

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

They told us in June that they aim to finish audio and special effect work in couple months, and therefore finalized version of those will not be in backer beta at least in begging. 

But those voice set in beta files are there so feel free to judge them as much as you like, but I would recommend to listen them so that game is in background so that you know how those sounds mix with background noise, so that you can judge them in right context at least..

Stop deluding yourself, this VO ****ing sucks.

Which, as we've tried to point out, doesn't matter yet.

If it was heard in-game and sounded naff, then sure, blame away. As it stands, there's nothing to say that it's not placeholder. Placeholder stuff is generally rubbish. Hell, I've worked on games where the placeholder VO isn't even done by someone of the same gender, usually just a dev for example.

• Like 1

I think that means Sound Design and music, not Voice over recording which AFAIK is done right at the end after the writing is finished.

Over the next few months narrative will finish our companions, and we are going to start finalizing and locking down on the writing to prepare for localization and voice over.

Yeah  I forgot to copy this part.

Stop deluding yourself, this VO ****ing sucks.

Which, as we've tried to point out, doesn't matter yet.

If it was heard in-game and sounded naff, then sure, blame away. As it stands, there's nothing to say that it's not placeholder. Placeholder stuff is generally rubbish. Hell, I've worked on games where the placeholder VO isn't even done by someone of the same gender, usually just a dev for example.

That's not the point. They were saying that if this was actually the real thing, that it isn't bad. Never said it wasn't a placeholder.

• Like 1

All of the VO in the backer beta is placeholder.

Stephanie Dowling, one of our animators, did the female PC set and Pallegina for testing purposes.

For the record: I for one like what she did, she has got a very nice voice

not that those short shounds would have been much of a hint at quality anyway, some of the people here on this forum need a week of vacation on Hawaii

All of the VO in the backer beta is placeholder.

Stephanie Dowling, one of our animators, did the female PC set and Pallegina for testing purposes.

And /thread.

• Like 5

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Sensuki was able to get the voice acting for pallegina off the files in the beta and uploaded them here: http://www.upload.ee/files/4240874/AudioClip.rar.html

I just want to voice my concern for the voice acting done here: this is really shoddy work and not voice "acting" at all. there is no emotion or heart put into the voice acting AT ALL. If Obsidian paid somebody for this work, they should get their money back.

It's flat, emotionless, and monotonous. Her rapid-fire approach to reading the lines makes it obvious that it's not speech but pre-written scripts read from a page (and poorly at that too! - She says "will power" instead of "willpower" as if they're two separate words in one example.)

look if you aren't going to get quality voice actors, then don't even bother with the VA. We'll have mods fix it (sigh...)

Thoroughly unimpressed and disappointed.

I heard worse.  I actually like this (temporary) voice.

The narrator, and anything else you sneaky people can find, is also temporary. 

Does Sensuki get experience for his successful sneaking attempt? :p

• Like 4

I don't think the quest has been completed yet but when it is he will... :no:

• Like 4

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I don't think the quest has been completed yet but when it is he will... :no:

Oh, yeah, right. How silly of me!