NFL 2014 Season

Nepenthe

I'm going nuts here... NUTS! The Buccaneers are awful.. just bloody stinking awful. I'm reminded of Coach John McKay in Tampa's first season after a particularly ugly loss answering a reporters question about his teams execution that day "Well I'm in favor of it". They can't run, they can't pass, they can't play defense, they are piling one stupid play call atop another. And there is no hope in sight! None! So we might get a first pick of the draft next year? So what. It will take two or three drafts to turn this train wreck around. Raheem Morris, Greg Schiano: screw you both. You both combined to wreck this franchise. And Gruden you... at best... failed to follow up on Tony Dungy's long run of great coaching. At worst, well you only won while the team still had Dungy's players. Once you had your hands on everything it started going down hill.

This whole sports year is a bust. A total fuc---g bust for me. The Rays stunk, the Marlins stunk, the Buccaneers stink, the Titans stink, the NHL Panthers look like they are going to stink, in the NBA the Grizz look like they are going backwards, and the Florida Gators stink most of all. This SUCKS!

Something... has... to... give....

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hey, at least the Bucs have won a Super Bowl in your lifetime.  My Browns haven't won anything since 20 years before I was born, and they just lost to freaking Jacksonville.  Michigan has fallen off the deep end, the Red Wings are in a downward spiral, the Pistons have basically fallen apart, and the Tigers have wasted their opportunities and their window is quickly closing if not already closed.  (Yes, I'm a Browns fan who hates every other team from Cleveland.)

That sums up the NFC south perfectly.   Any ideas on who replaces Ryan as Saints DC?

I'm not sure Ryan's going to get fired, certainly not if the D can show up at the degree they did this Sunday. They spent the first few games trying to compensate for their lack of CBs, which resulted in the whole D playing badly. Sunday, they seemed to abandon this and let everybody concentrate on what they did best, resulting in a much better performance overall, but still losing due to our CBs being absolutely destroyed several times.

AFAIK, of our 6 draft picks, all but Cooks have been operating at less than 5 snaps per game, we spent our second round pick on a guy who's getting essentially red-shirted this year, traded away third round for cooks, waived 4th round pick before he played a snap. Drafting the best player available is good theory, but when you have ~5 starter quality safeties and 1 starter quality CB, something's gone Pete Tong.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm not sure Ryan's going to get fired, certainly not if the D can show up at the degree they did this Sunday. They spent the first few games trying to compensate for their lack of CBs, which resulted in the whole D playing badly. Sunday, they seemed to abandon this and let everybody concentrate on what they did best, resulting in a much better performance overall, but still losing due to our CBs being absolutely destroyed several times.

AFAIK, of our 6 draft picks, all but Cooks have been operating at less than 5 snaps per game, we spent our second round pick on a guy who's getting essentially red-shirted this year, traded away third round for cooks, waived 4th round pick before he played a snap. Drafting the best player available is good theory, but when you have ~5 starter quality safeties and 1 starter quality CB, something's gone Pete Tong.

Maybe but Ryan's defenses have been mediocre at best. 

Here's how his defenses ranked:

Year / Team / Def Eff / Rank / Record

2014 Saints -11.2 31st 1-3

2013 Saints +0.3 10th 11-5

2012 Cowboys -5.4 27th 8-8

2011 Cowboys -1.8 20th 8-8

2010 Browns -1.7 26th 5-11

2009 Browns -3.8 28th 5-11

2008 Raiders -3.1 25th 5-11

2007 Raiders -1.3 24th 4-12

2006 Raiders +4.4 7th 2-14

He pulls the rabbit out of the hat in 2013 only to regress badly this season.  2004 and 2005 are not shown in that chart but the defenses in those years were both near the bottom of the league.   2 defenses ranked above the league average in 11 years is not a sterling resume.  

Edited by kgambit

Maybe but Ryan's defenses have been mediocre at best. 

Here's how his defenses ranked:

Year / Team / Def Eff / Rank / Record

2014 Saints -11.2 31st 1-3

2013 Saints +0.3 10th 11-5

2012 Cowboys -5.4 27th 8-8

2011 Cowboys -1.8 20th 8-8

2010 Browns -1.7 26th 5-11

2009 Browns -3.8 28th 5-11

2008 Raiders -3.1 25th 5-11

2007 Raiders -1.3 24th 4-12

2006 Raiders +4.4 7th 2-14

He pulls the rabbit out of the hat in 2013 only to regress badly this season.  2004 and 2005 are not shown in that chart but the defenses in those years were both near the bottom of the league.   2 defenses ranked above the league average in 11 years is not a sterling resume.  

Yah, I'm still thinking he'll get a third chance based on last year's performance and the obvious personnel issues this year. Unless they want Dennis Allen back, and it's not like his head coach performance was a resounding success.

Now, their secondary coach should've been sacked already for sure, and Joe Vitt, bless him, hasn't exactly shown himself to be a developer of stellar LB talent.

London isn't in Spain?

I think that's going to be their excuse when they don't show up on Sunday.

conanclap.gif

I unliked your post just so that I could like it a second time.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Apart from the absurdity of having a Sunday night team also play Thursday, it also means I'm going to be unable to watch two games in a row live. :p

Got another shirt to ease the sting of consecutive check marks in the loss column, on the LOST island, in the loser circle, both to division rivals. Size Small, since that was all that was available ... fits pretty good actually. Maybe I'm shrinking, or American-size garments are ballooning.

sdcfs_zpse2278975.jpg

All Stop. On Screen.

Meanwhile, I am no longer annoyed I can't watch the late Sunday (or in my case early Monday) game: http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2014/10/24/7062935/final-saints-injury-report-kihry-robinson-pierre-thomas-ruled-out

Reads to me like they're written off that one and are saving all the guys with niggling injuries for the division game at Carolina.

Meanwhile, I am no longer annoyed I can't watch the late Sunday (or in my case early Monday) game: http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2014/10/24/7062935/final-saints-injury-report-kihry-robinson-pierre-thomas-ruled-out

Reads to me like they're written off that one and are saving all the guys with niggling injuries for the division game at Carolina.

The game against the Packers is not going to be pretty.  :(

Holy smokes, that Falcons collapse.  They were up 21-0 at the half against a Detroit team so depleted that I was joking they'd be suiting up equipment guys soon.  Then the second half happened, including a Matty Ice interception so shockingly awful (seriously, there wasn't a Falcons player within 15 yards of where he threw the ball) even Bad Romo got a chuckle out of it. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Holy smokes, that Falcons collapse.  They were up 21-0 at the half against a Detroit team so depleted that I was joking they'd be suiting up equipment guys soon.  Then the second half happened, including a Matty Ice interception so shockingly awful (seriously, there wasn't a Falcons player within 15 yards of where he threw the ball) even Bad Romo got a chuckle out of it. 

Yeah, it was like a replay of last week, but less subjectively painful.

Though on principle (well, this year) I support the opponents of other NFC-S teams, I'm having a really, really hard time rooting for seattle at Carolina. :p

Carolina just ran one of the most pathetic 2 minute drills I've ever seen.  2 sacks and 2 incompletions, including an incompletion on a screen pass on 4th and 25.  A screen pass on 4th and 25!  What the **** kind of play calling is that?  If the catch is made, what are the chances you pick up 25 yards on that play?  3%?  5%?

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

That's it, next time I "score" doing anything, I'm gonna drop-spin the ball whirling into the grass like a spinning exclamation mark. Free hot wings?! thwip FIZZZZZZ  Perfectly crisp bacon?! thwip FIZZZZZZ  Two brunettes?!  BAM thwip FIZZZZZZ

All Stop. On Screen.

Well, that was the Saints team I've been waiting for all year. Let's hope they can do a rerun on Thursday, without any freak injuries on the opposing QB.

Also, Jimmy Graham looks about as small next to Zach Strief as Brandin Cooks looks next to Graham.

Well, that was the Saints team I've been waiting for all year. Let's hope they can do a rerun on Thursday, without any freak injuries on the opposing QB.

Also, Jimmy Graham looks about as small next to Zach Strief as Brandin Cooks looks next to Graham.

The good news is that your team is in a division where 7-9 might be good enough for 1st place, so it's not like they need to be great to make the playoffs, they just need to be competent.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The good news is that your team is in a division where 7-9 might be good enough for 1st place, so it's not like they need to be great to make the playoffs, they just need to be competent.

I believe the current hope in saints fanbase is to take the division with 6-10, beating the shehawks record for worst 4th seed, and then beat said shehawks at the Dome.

I certainly find the idea appealing.

Also:

2014-10-2620_25_38.gif

Edited by Nepenthe