NFL 2014 Season

Nepenthe

In a high-handed move, I started a new one for the season. I'll keep roster moves until Sunday in the other one, I'm OCD that way.

Here's my one prediction for Sunday:

falcons_1214_CC15_345039a.JPG

• Like 6

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Ah yes, it's almost here.  A season where I, a jaded Cowboys fan, can go into the season knowing full well that the Cowboys will once again be the very definition of mediocrity.  A couple games down the line, the Cowboys can offer me just enough of a glimmer of hope to rope me in, only to rip my heart out and finish 8-8.  Again.

Good times.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Ah yes, it's almost here.  A season where I, a jaded Cowboys fan, can go into the season knowing full well that the Cowboys will once again be the very definition of mediocrity.  A couple games down the line, the Cowboys can offer me just enough of a glimmer of hope to rope me in, only to rip my heart out and finish 8-8.  Again.

Good times.

"Cowboys - still mediocre, now with an extra side of Michael Sam!"

Saints are running a release/signing carousel that I am sure is making Bill Parcells proud, and I have no reason to suspect it's even close to being over. (Suspect Bailey coming back on week 2, Angerer getting signed or something equally random)

A few predictions for the season (make sure to bookmark this post so that you can throw this in my face and laugh at me later on):

Reasonable prediction: Lions win the NFC North

Bold prediction: Chargers reach the Superbowl

Absurd prediction:  Bucs win the NFC South

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Saints are running a release/signing carousel that I am sure is making Bill Parcells proud, and I have no reason to suspect it's even close to being over. (Suspect Bailey coming back on week 2, Angerer getting signed or something equally random)

Loomis was pretty crafty.  Released both kickers (probably with an understanding that they would resign one of them) to protect Griffin.  Then waited three days for QB needy teams to fill their slots before waiving Griffin.  And then resigned Ryan Griffin to the Saints practice squad.  :)  

I don't think Bailey is going to be resigned.  Angerer getting waived was a stunner.  Anybody hear what the deal was with that?

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 1

Loomis was pretty crafty.  Released both kickers (probably with an understanding that they would resign one of them) to protect Griffin.  Then waited three days for QB needy teams to fill their slots before waiving Griffin.  And then resigned Ryan Griffin to the Saints practice squad.  :)  

I don't think Bailey is going to be resigned.  Angerer getting waived was a stunner.  Anybody hear what the deal was with that?

Apparently too injury prone ( and those dumbasses had no idea whatvto do with him, either)

Loomis craftiness continues, they signed Junior "12 sacks" Galette to a four year extension (so six more years left on his contract) so they can concentrate on Cameron Jordan next.

Still, the ILB and CB situations are worrying, I don't think we have a backup tackle and our kicker missed a long PAT in the preseason.

I swear, the front office has mixed up Patrick Robinson and Patrick Peterson and nobody's had the hear to tell them the difference.I mean, they both play as #21!

Also, I totally lied in the first post.

Good times.

Which is still a lot more to look forward to than Bucs fans have! We have a new coach (a decent one finally not a gimmick) and an all new offense and defense so this season figures to be a slow motion train wreck. But it might still prove more entertaining than watching the Rays lately.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Good times.

Which is still a lot more to look forward to than Bucs fans have! We have a new coach (a decent one finally not a gimmick) and an all new offense and defense so this season figures to be a slow motion train wreck. But it might still prove more entertaining than watching the Rays lately.

Well, your first week hosting Carolina is going to be interesting, considering what's happened to them during the offseason, too. Final five games might get a bit depressing, though! ;)

Edited by Nepenthe

Shocking Week 1 Revelation:  Seahawks still good.

Yep, they didn't lose a step over the off season

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So, a note to all the players out there who were good but not quite good enough to make a roster and got cut last week; Be Gay. The NFL will help you with job placement: http://dailycaller.com/2014/09/04/report-nfl-officials-asked-teams-to-consider-signing-michael-sam-to-practice-squad/

Thomas Sowell

So, a note to all the players out there who were good but not quite good enough to make a roster and got cut last week; Be Gay. The NFL will help you with job placement: http://dailycaller.com/2014/09/04/report-nfl-officials-asked-teams-to-consider-signing-michael-sam-to-practice-squad/

Cowgirls figured they'll make many times his salary from all the sjw jersey buyers... ;)

Seriously, though, the best thing about Sam is that he's black, so we don't have to go through "the first gay minority player" sideshow in a year or two.

Overcorrection is pretty much par for the course whenever you have a group that is discriminated and repressed for generations.  That being said, practice squad players aren't exactly glorified, they make very little and still take a bunch of hits.  I'm a bit surprised he didn't opt to go to the CFL or something along those lines.

Also, if there is a decent player in any pro sport right now that is gay and is concealing it, they are missing out on a huge marketing opportunity.  I know they probably grew up in a culture that spurns revealing something like that, but anyone who steps forward right now is going to be set for life with speaking engagements, book deals, etc.  Then again, I doubt you become a pro athlete by focusing on that long term stuff, you are too busy trying to stay in the league.

...they make very little and still take a bunch of hits.

They make six thousand per week. You can beat me with a stick for that kind of money. :lol:

I read a book from an NFL bench player, and he said after all is said and done (agents, taxes, etc.), that paycheck is pretty much cut in half.  So sure, $60k is a decent haul for 17 weeks of work, but it's hardly a windfall.   :bat:

Here's a recap of the Cowboys 1st half today:

Romo has been so unbelievably awful (even by his standards) that I'm currently actively wishing that they put in Brandon Weeden.  BRANDON WEEDEN!

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I was pretty worried about the Niners defense this season, but thankfully the Cowboys are just going to hand the ball over and plead for mercy.

Well, I wouldn't use that game as a gauge of how the Niners defense will hold up until they start getting guys back.  I don't think you can count on other teams emptying an entire clip into their own foot, reloading, then emptying the next clip into their foot.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I was pretty worried about the Niners defense this season, but thankfully the Cowboys are just going to hand the ball over and plead for mercy.

Well, I wouldn't use that game as a gauge of how the Niners defense will hold up until they start getting guys back.  I don't think you can count on other teams emptying an entire clip into their own foot, reloading, then emptying the next clip into their foot.

That's exactly what my fantasy football team is relying on. (Niners Defense)

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

When you think about though, now they only have 8 games until they get both Aldon Smith and Bowman back.  Granted they might not be up to speed, but even if the Niners go 5-3 over the next 8, they are in a good position to be getting stronger going into the postseason.  

Of course both Brock and Culliver were carted off today, so who knows how that turns out.