Would team based turn based work well here?

wolfstriked

Would this game work where it was turn based for each side instead of turn based for each character in the battle seperately? So battle begins and the game auto pauses wherein you then click on each of your characters and instruct them what their next round actions are.You then press unpause and your team executes these orders at which point the enemies then all get to take their turns.It would look more fluid IMO and maybe fix some issues of not knowing what is going on in a battle.So basically you tell your  team what to do and they execute and then the enemy team executes their moves and game pauses again.

For sure it would not be ''more fluid''.

As for the rest, if your wish is for PoE to get /turn, it will not happen, at this time so near release (even if we are talking months).

This should have been made a long time ago if it was the direction of the project.

Would this game work where it was turn based for each side instead of turn based for each character in the battle seperately? So battle begins and the game auto pauses wherein you then click on each of your characters and instruct them what their next round actions are.You then press unpause and your team executes these orders at which point the enemies then all get to take their turns.It would look more fluid IMO and maybe fix some issues of not knowing what is going on in a battle.So basically you tell your  team what to do and they execute and then the enemy team executes their moves and game pauses again.

No, but I wouldn't worry that much really.

From all the streams and videos I've seen:

1) You can set fixed "time passed" for auto pause, so you could have the game automatically pause every second, or two seconds, etc.

2) You can set "after cast" auto pause. This means that you can easily keep track of when something is done and when you can use another ability or spell, etc.

3) There are slow, normal and fast speed commands. These are pretty great and from what I've seen, slow speed really allows you to manage your characters even in bigger battles.

4) Lots of the readability issues will most likely be solved/tweaked, which should help. As it is now, buffs/debuffs on characters are very confusing, sometimes missing or not working, with some information displayed, other not, tool-tips are incomplete or obscure, etc. Once that's solved, things should be much easier to follow, understand and manage.

5) The combat log, while apparently problematic for now, is there and has the potential to be really useful. Once again, it needs tweaking mainly.

All in all, I "think" once the rough edges start to be smoothed up, the issues you mentioned will mostly disappear.

• Like 1

Why even ask such a useless question?

Do you really think there is any chance at all the entire combat system will be changed a couple of months before the release date?

• Like 2

Ship has already sailed it is too late to change it and none of the IE games were turn based and this is a "spiritual successor" to the IE games, so no not happening.  That said, would turn based have worked?  Yes it very well could have, but that is a moot point as it was never on the table.

Thanks and I wasn't asking for POE to become turn based or rather full on turn based.I find turn based very strategic but also kinda boring as you watch each character go one at a time.Its never been done before though where turn based is done but one side at a time executes their moves.Your team goes and executes their moves and then the enemy goes and they all execute their moves.It could work but I think you guys know better and that its too late into development.

They designed this to work in the absence of turns. So, no, tb would not work well here. I am a fan of tb tho. If Feargus were to work with the Deadlands license like he mentioned in that Matt Chat, tb there would be epic. Like Fallout in the Weird West.

No.

They have already "ruined" Torment, don't take PoE away from me.

• Like 4

No.

I can deal with Torment. I find it hilarious that the RPG crowd wants every game to be TB. I like TB, but let us have variety. I already have Shadowrun, WL2, Divinity OS, and the upcoming Torment if I want a TB fix. TB has seen a renaissance. I would like RtwP to have the same luck. More RPG for everyone.

• Like 1

No.

Nope. They made it better. 

• Like 1

Yes, I think it would work better turnbased team-by-team or character-by-character. If that was ever to happen... but it isn't.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Recently released:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Enemy Within

Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun Dragonfall

Divinity Original Sin

Blackguards

Battle Worlds: Kronos

Civ 5 + Add Ons

Age of Wonders 3

King's Bounty Dark Side

Coming soon:

Wasteland 2

Torment: Numenera

.... just to name a few

If you still arent completely and utterly bored to tears by turn based strategy/RPGs, I WILL admire your endurance of doing the same over and over and over, and over again.

Edited by gum661
  • Like 1