Savegame Editor

Bester

Wrote a Savegame Editor.

Some screenshots:
presentation-1.jpg
presentation-2.jpg (placeholder)

Download link.

It's an Open Source project, so feel free to contribute. The sources are distributed under CC BY-SA license.
The program is written on Unity in C# and uses the new GUI from the 4.6 open beta.

Before someone says it was a horrible idea to write anything but a game on Unity, I can assure you I already found out the hard way.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 26
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Notes for 0.9b:

Important stuff.

Current functionality allows you to modify:
* Party's gold and camping supplies.
* Each character's Stats, Skills and Resistances.
* Each character's total experience (don't be afraid to put a big number in there, it'll just make your character level up multiple times in a row upon entering game).
* Changing name isn't supported yet.

- THE EDITOR CAN'T READ THE HIRELING'S INFORMATION YET. I tested it at the last moment and the hired companion (the 6th NPC) is stored a little bit differently, so this will have to get fixed later.
- IF you switched NPC's order (swapped 3d and 4th NPCs for instance), you better move them back into the original order before opening the save file, because no matter the position of the avatar, the game always saves them in the same order. Can't know which is which if you move them around. To be fixed later.

- The skill points you see in the editor are the points spent during leveling up, not the final skill. So for example you need to invest 21 _skill points_ into athletics in order to get 8 athletics.

Less important or unimportant stuff.

- If you change your class, your character keeps his abilities from the previous class and starts gaining new ones from his new class, which results in something of a D&D's dual class situation. (I think. It's something to test.)
- The stats you see in the editor are TRUE BASE STATS before bonuses from race and background are applied. The "base stats" in game already have those applied. Same thing with resistances and skills.
- For some reason, the game doesn't save NPCs' names in the save files until you level them up at least once. So you won't see their names in the save editor either if your companies are level 5, but that's not a bug.
- Stats like Gender, Race, etc - they won't change your characters' appearance. They will still appear as before, however you will see changes in the Character Sheet, and if any scripted scenarios should take into account your race/gender/etc, they will use your values.
- Not much use in modifying Current Stamina. If you set it to some big number, it will reset to your maximum health once you enter the game. If you set it to a small number, it will quickly regenerate if you're not in combat.
- Currently, the Editor attempts to find the Save Files in "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Saves"... If for some reason your save files aren't there, tell me where they are, along with everything else I'd need to know.

Short term plans:
- Bring back change name functionality
- 6th NPC
- Recognition of repositioned NPCs.

Long term plans:
- Certain things should be more readable, like Class "4" should be displayed as Mage, etc
- More stats: Max Health, Attack Speed, etc
- Change avatar
- Change NPC appearance
- See about adding and removing spells and abilities

Now, just a precaution: I wouldn't expect anything from this list if I were you, cause I'm known to abandon stuff all the time.

The project should be cross-platform, so as soon as the game comes out on Mac and Linux, I'll build a version for those two.

If you encounter any bugs, pls report them here. I want to be certain this version is 100% stable before moving forward.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 4

Well let's not get too sentimental, there isn't much use for it right now.

I mostly like to change avatars and classes only when I'm replaying an IE game for the 5th time or so. I'm not sure PoE will even have that much replayability.

• Like 2

Either way the fact that you can edit the camping supplies, makes this worth while. Plus you can edit attributes to unlock conversations.

edit: now if only we could edit talents, that would make this even better.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Wow, the game's not even out yet and there's already a savegame editor - I applaud your efficiency :thumbsup:

(I don't have the beta so can't help check it out but wanted to give you a virtual thumbs-up for your efforts on behalf of the community)

Even in limited beta form, that's quite an achievement - gives hope for the general modding of finished game too :)

Edit: re:Sarex - money too so you can add adventurer's hall companions without worrying over the cost.

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

When I run it it just comes up with a full screen of the changelog or something. I can't seem to get out of it other than crash the program.

It's a known Unity bug that I'll try to investigate, in the meantime what happens if you press Alt+Enter? That should fix it.

Edited by Bester

Works fine for me although I have no saves to test. I can enter and exit the program and when I click 'select a save file' it brings me to the selection window.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

And if you want IE portraits for your PoE party, follow the links in my signature.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Uploaded a new version.

* 6th npc (hireling) now works too

* Can now change NPCs' names

* Fixed the resolution bug (at least I hope I did. I couldn't reproduce the bug on my PC, Sensuki could you please check if it's fixed now?)

* Fixed blurry text issues

* Compatible with PoE v. 278 bb

The Editor won't work if you have less than 5 people in your group. Cause I don't even know how to make it happen.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 2

Sorry if I am blind and missed it.. but would you be against kicking off a git / svn repository if you were planning on maintaining this source for release?

From George Ziets @ http://new.spring.me/#!/user/GZiets/timeline/responses

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

Just a bump to make sure this stays on main page.  A tool like this is critical for good beta testing as it allows us to get away with more than the normal game would allow and experiment a bit more.  Maybe it will even let me give BB Fighter that Fighter skill he is somehow missing that he should have got at level 3 ;p.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1