What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Felt like some virtual hiking time, so re-installed skyrim. put the dlc on which I haven't played yet, and just spent some time loading up mods on it out of curiousity... now time to plunge into the fray and see what I actually remember of it...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Persona 3 Portable

I thought balancing the interwoven mechanics of the combat and the "dating sim" portions would prove to be overwhelming, but the game is actually kinda smart about dripfeeding you its features. I rushed through the first block of the dungeon in like 1 in-game week, then I had like 2 weeks of faffing around in the normal world until I had any real reason to go back to the fighting.

So far, this game (and series) seems to have a sort of "unspoken amazing feature", at least for those who haven't played it, where the pacing of combat and story is very liquid and up to the player, as long as you are strong enough to handle the scripted fights that come once a month with generous warnings preceeding them. Do I want to visit the dungeon once every few days and beat a few minor levels at a time? Do I want to marathon the whole dungeon in one go? Looks like it's up to me to decide

Edited by Nordicus

Back to Valkyria Chronicles again -- I'm loving this game alot.. that is until androgynous **** emperor shows up with his ridiculous tank and his girlfriend with the magic sword that cuts through air. Such an incredibly obnoxious boss fight that barely gives me enough time to pull my zipper up as she chops my troops into confetti. Time for some endless grinding in skirmishes, the most tedious thing about any RPG.

Edited by TheChris92

Up to Level 16 for my Warlock.  I've only found one blue armor so far, a gauntlet.  It's already weaker (defense-wise) than another gauntlet I found, but its bonuses still make it a superior choice.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Finally beat the quest I was stuck on in Desktop Dungeons. Took several attempts even after comming up with a working strategy because I was getting extremly unlucky (walls randomly shifting me into deadends). But all that made beating it so much more satisfying and the final attempt went so well, I even had more than half a dozen healing potions to spare.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Finished the Neverhood. I was kinda bored. So I started to create a game with Game Maker. It's kinda like asteroids right now. Might end up different.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Europa Universalis 4. This is...interesting, I guess. War mechanics seem really wonky compared to what I'm normally used to, but I'm getting used to it. Boy, couldn't they have the earliest date like a hundred years earlier? The Roman Empire starts out completely hamstrung, surrounded by the Ottoman Empire except for Constantinople proper and Sparta in Greece. Stupid history getting in the way of my fun.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The Guild 2 while I think of something else to play. Something so good about being accused of murdering 3 people, walking scot free while my accuser walks out of the courtroom to be greeted by 8 of my hitmen.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've been playing Torchlight 2 again after Risen 3 ended (boohoo). I thought I'd continue playing until a legendary item dropped. I checked just now: 161 hours played, 0 legendary items dropped. I'm beginning to think I'm extremely unlucky when it comes to things like this. I remember being the only one in our guild who never had a purple (I think it was) item drop in World of Warcraft. I had 1000+ hours on that character..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Destiny feels a lot like Borderlands, but in a space opera setting rather than whatever Borderland's setting is considered.

Its MP feels like Halo, though, which for me is horrible.  I hate, hate, hate FPS where you have to shoot someone fifty times before they die.  CoD did one thing right.  One or two shots (if they're armored) and the opponent is down.  A lot more fun than unloading on an enemy, only to see him bunny hop out of the picture, then re-emerge with full health again.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Europa Universalis 4. This is...interesting, I guess. War mechanics seem really wonky compared to what I'm normally used to, but I'm getting used to it. Boy, couldn't they have the earliest date like a hundred years earlier? The Roman Empire starts out completely hamstrung, surrounded by the Ottoman Empire except for Constantinople proper and Sparta in Greece. Stupid history getting in the way of my fun.

It's their way of telling you that you should play Crusader Kings 2 first and then import a save where the ERE controls all of Europe.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Decided I hated myself, gritted my teeth, and am now trying for the third time to complete Dragon Age 2 once and for all (the first time I failed to do so because I tired of the banality of the parachuting enemies, the second time because the main story bits in the third chapter that consisted wholly of people making the worst possible decisions sapped my will to continue).

I think my stomach is going to hold out to the end this time since from my previous two playthroughs, and the aide of the wiki, I've discovered the gamebreaking stuff that lets me power through encounters, and also because this is the first playthrough in which I tried the Legacy DLC that I genuinely had a good time with.

Just one observation; I've always loathed Anders in this iteration of the series, but I finally realised that listening to his party banter was a bit like John Malkovich inside his own head, as in all of dialogue can be summed up in: "Mage mage mage, mage mage mage mage mage." I play mostly pro-mage (given that my Hawke is a mage), but now I'm beginning to think Anders was written as such so as to make that path in the game less appealing.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Since I had quite a bit of fun with Resident Evil: Revelations I decided to catch up on some of the older games in the series that I could still get my hands on. Big mistake apparently: RE4 has beyond horrible controls (Not even mouse look? Really? What is this? Doom?). I made it to the first savepoint and then just uninstalled the game.

Since I had quite a bit of fun with Resident Evil: Revelations I decided to catch up on some of the older games in the series that I could still get my hands on. Big mistake apparently: RE4 has beyond horrible controls (Not even mouse look? Really? What is this? Doom?). I made it to the first savepoint and then just uninstalled the game.

Ironically, Resi 4 is the game that dumped the horrifically bad controls of the early games in favor of more modern shooter controls, but also signaled the move away from horror and toward action, making it a bittersweet game.  It also has the distinction of being one of the most notoriously awful PC ports ever.  They released an updated "HD" version earlier this year (because, of course they did) that supposedly works a heck of a lot better on PC.  I haven't played the new version so I can't speak from experience.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's their way of telling you that you should play Crusader Kings 2 first and then import a save where the ERE controls all of Europe.

Exactly what I'm doing right now  :biggrin:

Fortune favors the bald.

Ironically, Resi 4 is the game that dumped the horrifically bad controls of the early games in favor of more modern shooter controls, but also signaled the move away from horror and toward action, making it a bittersweet game.  It also has the distinction of being one of the most notoriously awful PC ports ever.  They released an updated "HD" version earlier this year (because, of course they did) that supposedly works a heck of a lot better on PC.  I haven't played the new version so I can't speak from experience.

Well, pretty sure the Steam version is the "HD" version, at least it has the "mouse aiming" (I don't want to imagine how it even used to be) that I hear they added in the HD version, but moving around is entirely done with the keyboard (this includes turning the character) and everything just feels horrendously sluggish in a very bad way.

The HD version certainly didn't fix the game enough to make it playable in my eyes, unless there are mods that fix the control issues (most of the stuff I found is years old and probably intended for the original edition), I'll just write this one off as a loss as using a controller for this type of game just won't do for me.

Giving Thragon Age 1 another go. It isn't as terrible as I remember, but the sheer amount of grind is mind-numbing. The defence of Redcliff defeated me last time, and I'm beginning to run out patience with it this time, as well.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.