Wait, vacuum cleaners?

Walsingham

I missed this story when it was new, so apologies if it was covered, but...

The European Union is banning vacuum cleaners above a certain energy level.

I cannot begin to heap enough scorn on this pointless exercise. We are not going to solve global warming by changing the vacuum cleaners. It's not even an issue.

Alternative perspectives?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

99% of the nonsensical laws the EU craps out can explained with bribery. Nobody gives a f*** about how much power you can save with freaking vacuum cleaners.
Bribery lead to the law against the common light bulb, now its vacuum cleaners. There is probably some big vacuum cleaner manufacturer that wants to sell more of their ''green'' cleaners and they have greased the right palms for a head start / monopole. Or maybe they only want to hurt their competitors. 

Many of the EU officials responsible for such laws are known to work together very closely with a big variety of multi million Euro companies.

Its all just a big farce, nothing more. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Ahh yes, another one of those juicy stories where we can all laugh derisively at the maliciousness and/or ineptitude of a giant bureaucracy. Funny how there are no stories, ever, about how something worked for the benifit of serveral invested parties. 

I guess there is just not enough demand for those. I too shiver at the thought of a world with a paltry 900 watts of vacuming power. I don't know how I can possibly go on after 2017.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

This is a vicious, inhuman and disgusting law, one needs a certain level of power to achieve...erm...cleanliness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rKfJw4EVU

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I just checked and my vacuum does a hearty 2500.

This bull **** is exactly what Guard Dog worries about if they take his guns off him. First they come for the guns, then they come for the vacuum cleaners.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Great, this'll help my mothers cleaning buisness greatly...

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I sleep soundly at night in the knowledge our European Union overlords are keeping powerhungry vacuum cleaners at bay.

Hurray for the E.U., now made even better for having a president I never had a chance to vote for, and who can't even speak any language I understand.

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I always wanted much more powerful, energy guzzling cleaners, cleaners powerful enough to suck in bugs the size of mice, the occasional zombie and other small vermin I might encounter behind one of my desks or in my couch. 

And now this. 

• Like 1

I wonder if this is the time to start a vacuum cleaner tuning service?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's good to know that we voted in people that are concerned with matters such as these.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Nothing wrong with forcing efficiency in electricity use.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nothing wrong either by forcing world peace either. But as you can see, the methods chosen are often very odd.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Nothing wrong either by forcing world peace either. But as you can see, the methods chosen are often very odd.

Not really, corporations change only with a gun to their head, either consumers do it or the state. Consumers probably don't care that much, which is a shame in a way.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I just hope people with brains there are actually trying to solve the problems with nuclear energy and fossil fuels before making plans to make my MP3 player 5% more energy efficient.  

We need more puns people, otherwise poor Hurlshot will continue his in vacuum.

• Like 3

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

It's good to know that we voted in people that are concerned with matters such as these.

The people behind these aren't the ones you voted, but the thousands of unnecessary eurocrats hired after the Eastern expansion. EU was a massive bureaucracy already in the late 90s, but the "necessity" of having equal representation from all members states lead to a massive ballooning when the new 10 were added. Crap like this is the result of those unnecessary people keeping themselves occupied. Back when I was a lobbyist, a large part of my work was actually blocking retarded ideas like this one.

In this case, I don't believe there is a conspiracy, but like that one song says, it's just a headless blunder (of incompetence). Big Money has nowhere the impact on the EU legislative process you'd think.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif