‘Virtual rape’ hard to track in online gaming, police say

ktchong

Interesting read but I have to question the technical accuracy of what they are saying happens. For example lets take GTAV, are the videos they posted the single player game which I can understand how that happens as a Mod could do that but in the Online version of GTAV you connect to servers controlled by Rockstar so is the video saying that Modders somehow change the software code on the online servers and allow those violent  and crude death scenes?

I'm not sure a Mod could do that to change the online experience for all players playing a network game of GTAV?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's pure bs. No idea how they got the idea to report about that stuff now. We have people teabagging each other since online games exist, after all.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

...who plays gta5 online?

Anyway. Does this come from a glitch where people wear non-existent clothing items (like traffic cones), do things "normally" done in gta5... just in their "unmentionables".. and post videos of it on the internet?

And did I just hear someone suggesting that a rape-victim or a survivor of physical assault -- should be allowed to play Grand Theft Auto 5 in peace without seeing disturbing imagery?

Another thing...  "everything behind a paywall is safe" is getting very, very old. And outdated, since all online consoles have a paywall now. Because that's what "the customers want", of course. Along with Microsoft salespeople. Who somehow always know best.

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

"The only way of avoiding becoming a victim is to stay off the internet."

Hyperbole much? I would imagine that's like saying the only way of avoiding becoming a victim of a falling meteorite is to never go outside.

Edited by Fighter
  • Like 2

Trigger warning!

If you are an oversensitive narcist dont read!

Didnt a rockefeller or Rothschild said that the invention of the internet (public use) was the worst thing... yeah. Now you know why.. because you can be virtually raped and not that you can find the truth that exposes all the BS we are being told by the media and the politicians day after day.

A sane person would just avoid sites that they find offensive.... a sane person would just ignore things they dont like... a sane person would not play soccer if he didnt like it right ? NO, not today. A radical feminist would bumrush a soccer match and then points fingers as the players when they just take her, throw her into a dumbster and continue to play their game.

I think virtual rape is funny btw.

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

This about teabagging?

Nah, is about a mod on GTA online that (I think) enables developer mode and lets people hijack other's characters with animations. Naturally they're using it to simulate sex and pole dancing.

I'm more curious about the girl with the hipster glasses, did she come with the crew or did they have to wait long for the most feminist looking gamer to appear, that actually knew about this thing.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I chuckled at the focus on "virtual rape".  To me, the only annoying part is the fact that they, you know, hacked your character.  What they do with your character after that is, quite frankly, irrelevant and stupid to even discuss.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

L0L

Seriously. The people who do this sort of thing are emotionially disturbed.

Seriously. the people who overreact to this sort of thing are emotionally disturbed.

Comapring this to actual rape is DISGUSTING and does a disservice to true rape victims.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Don't really see the horror of "virtual rape" in a game like GTA V - the morals in the series has never been there anyway. If you get easily offended you shouldn't be playing GTA in the first place. But yea, it's a childish thing to do. As some people mention above me, Teabagging has been a thing for a long time, modding (or hacking if you will) to make characters nude have also been there for a while, this is not really a new thing. 

How is this not a commercial for Xbox?

Could they have possibly done better than to associate their competitor's product with the risk of being virtually raped? "Buy an Xbox and this can't happen!"

BTW: IMO this is stupid ~crude/vulgar/ against the terms of service (or soon will be), but this is fictional idiocy on both sides. Actually criminalizing this takes everyone one step closer to empowering everyone to have anyone arrested for assumed slights or insults.

Edited by Gizmo

How is this not a commercial for Xbox?

I would be surprised if these offensive and stupid death scene clips would ever be seen as a positive marketing approach for any company?

Can you imagine Microsoft " hey guys, play the new Xbox 1...you get to sodomize your opponents in there death throes " :biggrin:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No no no... not positive ~negative, against the competition; and never tracable.  Didn't Microsoft already stray into the realm of paying for positive reviews?

Okay I see what you are saying, it will be used to highlight how unsuitable other consoles are

John Milton 

No no no... not positive ~negative, against the competition; and never tracable.  Didn't Microsoft already stray into the realm of paying for positive reviews?

Okay I see what you are saying, it will be used to highlight how unsuitable other consoles are

In the video they flat out said there is no defense on Playstation, but Xbox is super neat and has awesome features. The problem was that she was referring to the PS3 having free online play, but they only showed pictures of PS4 accessories, negatively associating the PS4 with virtual rape.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Go go Canadian journalism. F**king Rogers, CityTV was crap but never this crap.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra