Feargus Urquhart on Baldur's Gate, Shattered Steel, and Fallout - Matt Chat - Part 2

ktchong

Nice interview, thanks for posting.

With respect to Baldur's Gate, I recall not being pulled in by the name when I saw in on a Best But shelf back in 98. Fortunately, my roommate at the time did pick it up. He hated it and gave it to me. And once I started playing it, my life was never quite the same!

At this point, I would never want to see the name changed.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I didn't like that it had a skull on the front of the box, skulls are scary. I'm only partially jesting, I don't actually know if I would have bought it if it had a more appealing box art, but as it stands I didn't get around to it until years later where it was no longer relevant except as a historical curio.

Baldur's Gate is a perfectly servicable title in the context of prior meaningless or long-winded D&D game titles though. At least it's not as forgettable as say, Curse of the Azure Bonds.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I didn't like that it had a skull on the front of the box, skulls are scary. I'm only partially jesting, I don't actually know if I would have bought it if it had a more appealing box art, but as it stands I didn't get around to it until years later where it was no longer relevant except as a historical curio.

Baldur's Gate is a perfectly servicable title in the context of prior meaningless or long-winded D&D game titles though. At least it's not as forgettable as say, Curse of the Azure Bonds.

The greatest CRPG ever, forgettable?

My good man, didst thou perchance suffer a blow to thy head?

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Strictly talking the title in this context, but then I'm too young to have enjoyed the Gold Box games in the time they were released. I've since gone back to try a few though, and they did absolutely nothing for me. Not that it's any surprise, "old school" isn't a positive term for me, and hack and slash doesn't equate to RPG.

I'll take the heresy even further. In the DOS era, only two good RPGs existed. Ultima, and Darklands.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I like Curse of the Azure Bonds.  Not the game but the box art.  The redhead with the half-exposed boobs on the box cover is certainly more appealing than the skull on the Baldur's Gate box.

Edited by ktchong
  • Like 1

Being interested in norse mythology was a big reason I even touched Baldur's Gate back in the day. I'm very happy with their choice of name  :biggrin:

...that is an alternate spelling of "Balder", isn't it. But pretty sure the town doesn't get it's name from him. Balder's Gate would be something like....

"Balder's Gate: An interactive game set in Valhalla, in a more peaceful age, where you will explore Balder's and his wife Nanna's large classical house and kingly garden, "Breidablikk", while helping to prepare for the spring feast. During free time, Balder will entertain all by softly playing the lyre. Nanna will show you all their rooms in the house, and lecture visitors in her specialty and sole godly passion: woven tapestries". 

• Like 1

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

"I agree with Ray Muzyka: Baldur's Gate is the stupidest name ever."

Stupidest EVER? Are you serious? How is it stupider than, say, Icewind Dale or any other game that is named after a town/setting/area? It's not the most 'exciting' name but it's certainly not the stupidest.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I like Curse of the Azure Bonds.  Not the game but the box art.  The redhead with the half-exposed boobs on the box cover is certainly more appealing than the skull on the Baldur's Gate box.

Coincidentally Alias along with Vala (secret of the silver blades) and Isabela (da2) are my favourite npcs. I'm afraid I'm not a very subtle man. :p

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

• 4 weeks later...