Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced

Hmm, I will get it on sale eventually

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Trolls, gangs of trolls, slumming the dungeons with spellcasters guaranteed to Hold your Person. Almost no loot and absolutely zero fire/acid items in this level. Next one down, two dozen cold wights, a temple guardian, and a pot-shooting bastard skeleton jump your party at the doorstep and made minced meat of six characters. This game is hard. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Is there any practical reason to buy IWDed if you already have IWD?

If you want to play it again with classes from BG2 then yes. I don't think there is a mod for that.
I assume there dual wielding now, too.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I've tried playing IWD several times before and this is the first time I've really gotten anyway. I love the zoom function, there's nothing more to it than that. It was so freaking cramped before.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

ManifestedISO: At what difficulty?

Core, just the regular D&D Hardcore. No modifiers to XP or damage. I don't understand why the dungeon is so clean now, since mobs of elite enemies are wiping the floor with my 6th/7th-level characters.

I'm in the Dragon's Eye dungeon, working the fifth level ... the Yuan-ti High Archer and his six buddies are laser-guided missile-launching death machines. The masochistic elements ... if you don't disarm the poison trap outside his lair, since your whole party made it this far without antidotes, death is swift and laughs at your lack of preparedness.

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Hey guys, I have been playing since the beta started. It's a cool game. Here are my thoughts...

The zoom and Quick load functions are awesome. Kits and new spells.
BUT -  I'm missing the "Guard" button from the original. 

Also... The game is easier now, as you find more spells and equipment than in the original. You can rest in places that you weren't allowed in the original...Map notes can reveal certain plot points. Dual wielding makes the fights too easy at times...

And some details: The log is spammed by the messages: Turning undead, singing bard song... Minor detail but very annoying to me.
Sound sets do not work properly (not yet. It has been reported as a bug).
There is NO character abbreviation in game. You have to go back and forth in your multiplayer saves, to edit characters.

Feel free to ask any questions, I probably can't answer anyway...

• Like 1

UFWDJRj.jpg

I never found any of the ID games particularly hard. Dunno where that's coming from. I guess they are hard if you're used to the modern "play on autopilot" games.

There's just a bit of trial and error as with all IE games. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Yeah, I don't know why it feels brutal. Each character has the best found weapons, armor, and spells equipped and memorized: paladin, fighter, monk, thief, cleric, and wild mage. On the other hand, I never use pre-fight protection buffs, spells or potions. I'm on the second level of the Severed Hand tower where Shadow Goblins, Shadow Ogres, and other mobs swarm like crazy. Just doesn't seem as fun as I remember having to Rest after every encounter. I had to settle for two Raise Dead spells after the final battle with Yxunomei in Dragon's Eye.  

All Stop. On Screen.

I rested twice in the entire Dragon's Eye and twice in Severed Hand last time I played. It helps when you've played before and can remember what is coming but those two areas are not particularly hard. I do remember there was an odd bug in Severed Hand where one of the shaman type enemies cast healing spells on the party (!) which helped a bit there. Also paying attention to floaties to see where ambushes were going to occur and bottlenecking as much as possible.

OTOH the Barrows in HoW with those asterisking Drowned Dead and Banshees...

Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition is a tremendous challenge and reward for me.  It's my first time playing Dale 1, and I started a solo character at level 1 on Heart of Fury mode - a CG Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief - because I was curious.  I'm in Severed Hand now.  The Yxun fight was by far the most challenging part, which i was able to get through due to a lot of kiting as well as quick-saving during lulls in the battle.  (Get all your currently-aggroed foes out of your view long enough and the battle mode stops.  Use that to save and rest and save!)

• 2 weeks later...

I played Icewind Dale and had to stop when I started Heart of Winter after the IWD campaign, I cant deal with the totally tedious and boring monster killing anymore. I have no idea how I was able to enjoy that game, years ago. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I am also playing IWD:EE (on core rules) but I decided to take my lvl 9/10 party and go do the expansion content. It was challenging as hell (some figts I needed to try multiple times) but I done it all and came back to regular content as lvl 13/14. Now everything is super easy and boring and I cannot force myself to finish it. And I don't like to put difficulty above Core rules, I like playing with full D&D rules, no easier or harder.

I decided to start with new 3 member party (Dwarven Defender, Druid (Avenger) and Swashbuckler 6 (then dual classed to Mage) ). 

I am playing on HoF difficulty but my party are lvl 1 :)

I wonder how far I can get. I plan to enter expansion content ASAP so I can access higher level spell offered there. So far each fight is super hard and uses up all my spells. Only thing keeping me alive is the awesome Avenger (first with web spells and from lvl 7 with summons) and dwarven defender tanks all even with crappy equipment (splint mail lol).   

Is there any practical reason to buy IWDed if you already have IWD?

If you want to play it again with classes from BG2 then yes. I don't think there is a mod for that.

There are really crazy people who like those classes in other games? Horrifying thought. :/

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Just out of curiosity, did they keep the special Icewind Dale bard songs? I don't recall what they all were, but there was one that was a couple points of healing/round that I really liked to have to keep my party topped up between fights. I'd miss that if it were gone (and I'd never play IWD without a bard in the party.)

Yes, I know that you could pause and spam the button to heal in combat, but I never did that, I just liked having a way to get those last couple points to full health without having to waste a healing spell.

Thinking about breaking in my new iPhone 6 with this, even if my heart is in Icewind Dale II. Wonder how well it will play, given my new phone isn't a "phablet".

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling