Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced

Reinstalled IWD. If anyone else is going to, here's a good guide to mods. http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=24870

And after all that, don't forget to install bigger fonts and the DirectDraw Glitch fix. http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html

You still won't be able to use WASD or arrows to move the camera. Only numpad keys move it, and they only do it in big jerking motions, which is unusable, so forget about moving the camera with your keyboard. Sigh.

So at the end of the day, the only problem EE could fix is the camera. And while they do that, they'll make most mods unusable. Just great.

No one should need to be using DirectDraw at this point. Open the config.exe and check OpenGL acceleration. Use the widescreen mod to set your resolution, ideally to something not too far from the original supported resolutions. 1280x720 seems like a good compromise for 16:9 screens; I used a custom resolution of 960x600 for my old 16:10 monitor.

Only problem I ran into that way was that the game wouldn't scale to fit the monitor, but you can go in your driver options to force it to do so.

I started up Icewind Dale just to create my party and I can't believe how spoiled I've been by EE and Tutu.

No sorcerer? No style proficiency? You're throwing me off my game here, people!

Perhaps, but the druid spells, man! Ain't no party like a druid party in IWD.

I started up Icewind Dale just to create my party and I can't believe how spoiled I've been by EE and Tutu.

No sorcerer? No style proficiency? You're throwing me off my game here, people!

Perhaps, but the druid spells, man! Ain't no party like a druid party in IWD.

Baldur's Gate gives me a bad taste for Druids. Jaheira's fine as a character, but her weapon proficiencies are pure crap. I'm sporting +2/3 daggers at this point in BG 2 and she's got a +1 scimitar.

I think the first time I played through Throne of Bhaal, I might have finally found her a +2 club.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Level1NPCs FTW. Turning Khalid into a Fighter/Mage and Minsc into a Barbarian is awesome.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/weapons/scimitars.html

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/weapons/clubs.html

Either kill Drizzt and keep his stuff, or... wait a second, why would you kill Drizzt? He's a legendary warrior who saved the North more times that I can remember? You know what, kill Jaheira instead and get yourself a worthy companion.

Either that, or stop forcing yourself to swallow the same game mechanics over and over again? Don't you want to play it different this time? You've played Jaheira a million times, nothing exciting there. But she can be improved if you really need her companionship. Just get ShadowKeeper and change her. That's what I do before each new playthrough. I think about what companions I want with me. Then I think what roles I want them to fill. Then I think of classes that I want them to be. Then I roll each class separately through "new game" - I roll their stats, choose their spells, proficiencies etc. Then I save that savefile. And once that companion joins me, I just reassign all values from that savegame to my companion.

And before I do that, I also look at the tables of weapons that will be available to me.

So this way, last time I played, I was a thief/fighter dual-wielding katanas (there's a +5 in SoA).

Minsc - cavalier with carsomyr. (+5)

Solafein - barbarian dual-wielding long/bastard swords. (plenty of good blades)

Viconia - fighter dualed into a cleric at level 8. Dual-weilding maces/flails. (same here)

Edwin - fighter dualed into a mage at level 8. Dual-weilding axes. (same here)

Fade - illusionist, not a melee character.

Yeah, so it doesn't fit their biography and all that. But nobody has to know! Now you're experiencing new mechanics and the old companions.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 1
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

You've played Jaheira a million times

This is actually only my second full-run of BG2.

Lots of stuff I remember still, especially the frustrating bits (you want me to fight two stone golems and a clay at the same time with only two people that can hit them, what?!). For everything else there's Jan Jansen, who I never used before.

So this way, last time I played, I was a thief/fighter dual-wielding katanas (there's a +5 in SoA).

Since when is there a +5 katana in either soa or tob?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

There isn't in any vanilla. Item Upgrades and Baldurash add one each and Lol's rezmod adds a super powered +6 one.

Level1NPCs FTW. Turning Khalid into a Fighter/Mage and Minsc into a Barbarian is awesome.

Even more awesome with the mod that allows you to dual-class barbarians. Minsc as Barbarian / Thief totally stirs s**t up.

Have you tried Revised HLAs from Refinements? IMO the Barbarian HLAs are good enough to not want to dual.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Oh sorry, you're right, not in vanilla. But with mods, you can upgrade Celestial Fury to +5 through Cromwell. I always play with those mods, I even forgot some people didn't.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

• 1 month later...

Icewind Dale EE is now available at Beamdog, with all the goodies from BG2 EE. :)

Also Steam and GOG.

Icewind Dale EE is now available at Beamdog, with all the goodies from BG2 EE. :)

They added romances to Icewind Dale too?  :p

.....please no.

They added romances to Icewind Dale too?  :p

.....please no.

Bromancing the Bone; an intelligent club becomes a member of your party, forming a weapons set with Harry the Horned Helm and Sheela the Salivating Shield. Recharging the items requires a visit to the Last Bed and Brothel. :p

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

...or if you want to bypass the pathfinding issues endemic of Infinity Engine games, you could play the Icewind Dale module for Neverwinter Nights 2.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

It seems easier so far. By which I mean that the first group of Goblins didn't instantkill any of my characters this time around.

I'm fine with that if it means I can have a Sorcerer, Assassin, and Berserker Halfling in the party. The Cavalier and Priest of Tyr are just icing.

Do not play as a Wild Mage. You'd think an extra spell per level is worth the trouble, but, it isn't. You will never copy a scroll to your spellbook on the first or second try, and the "small" chance of any spell going wild feels more like "large."

Monks haul ass. It's like they come with Boots of Speed, which is good for putting the knuckles of fury to a spell-caster. Haven't played this class since whenever the first IE game that had it.

There are some superbly entertaining character voice sets. I think they're original, but I chuckle every time I select my female thief: "You are annoying me on sooo many levels right now." 

All Stop. On Screen.