Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced

August 30th, 2014

Beamdog and Wizards of The Coast announced at PAX today that pre-orders have begun for Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition ahead of its upcoming release.

Originally released in 2000, Icewind Dale is hailed as a classic Dungeons & Dragons adventure based in Wizards of The Coast's legendary Forgotten Realms campaign setting. The Enhanced Edition will allow new and experienced gamers alike to enjoy this epic adventure as never before. Available on PC, Mac, iPad, and Android tablets and phones, the game will retail for $19.99 on desktop and is available for pre-order now.

Icewind Dale has been enhanced with new kits and character classes, dozens of new items and spells, and restored quest material cut from the original game. The redesigned user interface features Zoom capabilities and a Quickloot Bar, among numerous other improvements. Up to six players can simultaneously enjoy Icewind Dale with the new cross-platform multiplayer mode.

http://icewinddale.com/

• Like 3

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale always was more combat-heavy than Baldur's Gate - maybe they won't immeasurably screw this up in my eyes with their ridiculous fanfiction additions. Best of luck to the project.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Hmm.

Interesting that they went with the IWD route instead of PS:T.

IMO, a remastering of PST would need to add stuff the original lacked, like equipable armor.

As it is, I'm going to stick to the originals until most of the better mods are made compatible. Playing BG2 without Ascension and SCS seems wrong.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I look forward to IWD EE. Its one of my favorite games. Hack 'n slash, perfect setting, perfect soundtrack, best places to explore, almost a near perfect game.

• Like 2

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I have to be honest.  This won't be a popular opinion here, but it's how I feel.  I was never a fan of Icewind Dale, or Icewind Dale 2, for that matter.  I thought thety were easily the two weakest entries of the Infinity Engine games.  While the combat in them was good, better than BG, BG2, or PS:T, the story... ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.

3zzz.gif

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

For me IWD highlights everything wrong with a game where you don't have meaningful party interaction, like being able to talk to your party members or Romance

Its an entertaining game and fun but you notice the fact that your party members are just paper dolls and lack any substance. You never build a connection with them and for me I only cared if they lived and died because they assisted in combat

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have to be honest.  This won't be a popular opinion here, but it's how I feel.  I was never a fan of Icewind Dale, or Icewind Dale 2, for that matter.  I thought thety were easily the two weakest entries of the Infinity Engine games.  While the combat in them was good, better than BG, BG2, or PS:T, the story... ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.

3zzz.gif

For me IWD highlights everything wrong with a game where you don't have meaningful party interaction, like being able to talk to your party members or Romance

Its an entertaining game and fun but you notice the fact that your party members are just paper dolls and lack any subsistence, You never build a connection with them and for me I only cared if they lived and died because they assisted in combat

Simpsons--Movie-Pictures--the-simpsons-1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The development of IWD2 is the reason I initially registered on the BIS forums, so I have history with that. It might seem strange then that IWD1 is the only IE game I've never played, not even for a minute. To be fair though, I started with BG2 and IWD2 was simply the next title in the 'series'.

As for the other PS:T, by that stage, was actually pretty hard to find in stores, it might have taken a year or so to finally stumble upon a beaten-up copy at a K-Mart or Target somewhere - might have contributed to my never having finished it. BG1 I probably tried last, and by the time I did it had aged so badly that I didn't enjoy it at all.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

"While the combat in them was good, better than BG, BG2,"

IWD's combat was better than BG1 but not BG2. And, IWD2 combat was subpar despite the extra character options. IWD2 was also the only IE game I did not finish out of its sheer crappiness.

Playing with kits in IWD1 is intriguing but Beamdogs and they haven't suckered me yet they won't now.

I'd rather pay another $250 for a xp less PE than touch Beamndog's desperate trash.

\

i also guess they got stuck remaking IWD because their bosses haven't  been impressed enoguh to give them a BG3 to ruin.

• Like 3

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

we woulda' paid $100 each if enhanced editions o' bg, bg2 and iwd were using the iwd2 rules mechanics.

*sigh*

is not to be... and am knowing how much some o' you folks hate d20 d&d, but we thought the one thing iwd2 got right were the 3.0 d&d rules.

am also curious about an eventual ps:t enhanced, but am not certain where/how we would start improving the game mechanically. ps:t were... different. gain abilities up to 25. can choose 3 different classes, though only one at a time. there already exists the widescreen mod for ps:t, as well as kinda post bis patches that fixed remaining bugs. have a group o' developers sit and try and figure out how to improve ps:t w/o changing too extreme might result in a bunch o' folks staring blank at the walls for a considerable amount o' time.

add more factions? sure, but that would take considerable new content rather than mechanic fixes, yes?  you could add other factions and have 'em be little more significant than adding a kit, but that would be kinda lame.

am s'posing cleric option for TNO could be added, but wisdom is already the You-Win ability.

is tough to come up with mechanical ps:t changes... in part 'cause ps:t were so odd/broken, but still wonderful.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Oh one thing I will add is I haven't ever played IWD2 so it that gets an EE then I will purchase it

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

additional observation:

is there a way to possibly enhance Heart of Winter so that it doesn't suck? we think not.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

IMO, a remastering of PST would need to add stuff the original lacked, like equipable armor.

No. Just no.

PS:T was 200% of pure perfection as it was. And this is one of the reasons why I won't even touch a "remake" if it's ever made. It's just won't be the same thing. When you're developing a remake the temptation to "improve" something is just too great. Unfortunately, in the case of PS:T remake "improving" anything means insta-ruining the whole thing.

Edited by prodigydancer

IWD2 was for me biggest letdown unfortunately, when the development started they introduced many new kits compared to BG2. That promised many options and replayability, instead we got new 3.0 rules with few feats and lot of them bugged :/

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours