Encounter Rate & Avoiding Encounters

exodiark

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but...

I think with health-stamina system like PE is indeed more "realistic" than the usual health-point, IRL when you take damage you will get hurt (health -) and your stamina will deplete as well (blood loss, etc etc). 

So to complement that, I think encounters in wilderness (not lairs) needs to be more sparse but more dangerous. For example, you don't meet a lot of bears in the woods, but it's usually game over for you if you meet one unprepared.
In current beta, I found myself spending all my camping resources before reaching spider cave, fighting too many beetles (why are they carnivorous anyway?), unable to run away without leaving a party member who is being pummeled.

Also, IRL if you encounter a bear in the woods, you can make a lot of noise to scare the bear, so you can pass safely. I think PE should have skills like this, like scaring beetles so they don't attack you. It should work most of the time, but there's a very small risk the beetles become enraged instead. I think it would be cool if animals are also afraid of your party and move away when they see you, unless they're very hungry or enraged.

Health points are just too precious in this game.

Edited by exodiark

They are not normal beetles. If you think they should act like normal beetles you miss the point. Real beetles don't attack humans becuase in RL humans are way bigger and can squash them by simply stepping on them. That can't be done with these beetles so why would they 'fear' humanoids as much?

"For example, you don't meet a lot of bears in the woods, but it's usually game over for you if you meet one unprepared."

O RLY, In RL, Human-bear encounters aren't as one sided as you might think considering the usual size difference.

\That said, I agree, that most animals shouldn't be insta hostile when they see you either. That's silly. They should have a 'range of hostility' ala BG bears.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

They are not normal beetles. If you think they should act like normal beetles you miss the point. Real beetles don't attack humans becuase in RL humans are way bigger and can squash them by simply stepping on them. That can't be done with these beetles so why would they 'fear' humanoids as much?

"For example, you don't meet a lot of bears in the woods, but it's usually game over for you if you meet one unprepared."

O RLY, In RL, Human-bear encounters aren't as one sided as you might think considering the usual size difference.

\That said, I agree, that most animals shouldn't be insta hostile when they see you either. That's silly. They should have a 'range of hostility' ala BG bears.

Well, there are many cases IRL people getting mauled by bears because they don't realize that they're getting close to its cubs, even when they're holding a shotgun.

But that's beside the point, I don't want or expect PE to be hyper realistic, but since health-stamina system is "realistic-ish" (you can recover stamina, but you can't mend broken ribs without resting, etc), I think it's wise if PE could take notes from wildlife encounters in real life.

Edited by exodiark

"Well, there are many cases IRL people getting mauled by bears because they don't realize that they're getting close to its cubs, even when they're holding a shotgun."

And, in RL, there are cases where little kiddies can scare a bear off by simply punching it on the nose. (not that I reccommend trying it lol).

I guarantee you more bears have died to humans then the other way around though it's not soemthing really brag worthy in moral terms. But, they aren't monstrous 'game overs' like you claimed they were.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, there are many cases IRL people getting mauled by bears because they don't realize that they're getting close to its cubs, even when they're holding a shotgun.

But that's beside the point, I don't want or expect PE to be hyper realistic, but since health-stamina system is "realistic-ish" (you can recover stamina, but you can't mend broken ribs without resting, etc), I think it's wise if PE could take notes from wildlife encounters in real life.

That said, the fact that you CAN mend broken ribs by sleeping for 8 hours but not with your holy healing magic is a bit strange...

• Like 2

That said, the fact that you CAN mend broken ribs by sleeping for 8 hours but not with your holy healing magic is a bit strange...

EDIT: Dangit, forum bug double post. Mod, feel free to delete the duplicate.

Edited by Matt516