Backer Beta Patch Coming Soon

BAdler

I see. Well, your losing me with this bogeyman routine and why you keep referencing kill XP in this conversation is a mystery. Im not arguing slippery slope, Im not arguing semantics, and I don't have any idea how you came up with someone slipping something past me. Hell, if its not on this board then Im not even paying attention. Im simply pointing out that there is a literal difference between awarding XP incrementally or in one lump sum at the end. Objective XP and Quest XP are two different terms for a reason no matter how you try to obfuscate it. Well, unless your retort is "Crossing the threshold of the ogre cave was a quest".

• Like 2

I see. Well, your losing me with this bogeyman routine and why you keep referencing kill XP in this conversation is a mystery. Im not arguing slippery slope, Im not arguing semantics, and I don't have any idea how you came up with someone slipping something past me. Hell, if its not on this board then Im not even paying attention. Im simply pointing out that there is a literal difference between awarding XP incrementally or in one lump sum at the end. Objective XP and Quest XP are two different terms for a reason no matter how you try to obfuscate it. Well, unless your retort is "Crossing the threshold of the ogre cave was a quest".

"Objective XP and Quest XP are two different terms"

that have been used interchangeably by many, frequent and often, and is not gonna satisfy the current folks arguing against quest xp regardless. 

*groan*

you are suggesting a fine, and in your words "subtle" distinction 'tween objective and quest xp. this is a semantics argument. you claim that the nomenclature difference from the previous poll, makes it different than the issue specifically being debated and polled.  play innocent or ignorant if you wish 'bout the implication is that past poll and current is not analogous, but the OP poster from previous poll made clear via following quotes:

"Tim and I would rather not give XP for general killin' because it leads to a lot of weird/degenerate scenarios, but I have no problem with having quests oriented specifically around killing and receiving XP for achieving sub-objectives/the main goal."

"Gameplay degeneration occurs when a player engages in gameplay not because they enjoy that gameplay but because the game's mechanics put the player at a disadvantage for not taking advantage of it. Rest spamming is one example. Wholesale slaughter/genocide is another. Quests that involve a peaceful option to resolve that get turned around after completion when the player murders the saved parties is a familiar expression of this sort of degeneration. If XP is linked to quests and objectives within quests, the player has much more freedom to resolve those quests in whatever way he or she wants, whether that means talking through it, fighting, sneaking around, or using some mixture of skills/scripted environment objects to reach the goal."

however, if, in spite o' the above quotes you are still attempting to argue that polls is not truly analogous, then Gromnir makes obvious slippery slope argument when playing the semantics game. combat xp IS potential part o' quest and/or task or objective xp mechanics.  however, combat xp and conversational xp is not subject o' specific discrimination in quest xp mechanics. if you really wanna go down path o' finding subtle differences where they does not actual exist, you is in for a serious slippery slope problem.

the subtle difference you suggest is not so subtle. most folks in the current polls has been cautious to describe the alternative to combat xp as quest or quest/task xp, but even if they have not, is a distinction o' semantics only. 

"Don't we already have a thread or two dedicated to arguing XP?"

seen after we posted... but we agree. am actual believing we have four or more such threads, which seems silly to us.

HA! Good Fun!
Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Can we get an update on the current status of the patch?

probably not. however, you will know that the developers is equal frustrated when they start saying stuff such as, "it will be ready when it is ready." 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We are aware of the thread internally, but I am not sure how much of it Josh has read. Regardless, I will let Josh make any comments about that system since it is a touchy subject and he is best equipped to answer those questions.

New approaches are always going to met with some resistance.

New approaches lol.

The vast, vast majority of video games do not grant XP for kills.

He was nice enough to respond to a direct question in brief. Stop acting like a complete baby.

Throwing insults at other people doesn't help your argument and is just troll click bait. Refrain from throwing insults and your posts might be taken seriously.

I called him on his conduct, nothing more. If you don't want to be scolded, behave properly.

Edited by Panteleimon

Hmm... now the question is, will I stick with Planescape Torment, or will I give in and try to new beta demo?

Edited by Marceror

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

He was nice enough to respond to a direct question in brief. Stop acting like a complete baby.

Throwing insults at other people doesn't help your argument and is just troll click bait. Refrain from throwing insults and your posts might be taken seriously.

Not to mention pretending to be a moderator. last I checked, it wasn't up to Panteleimon to dictate what gets discussed on a developer's thread.

Not to mention pretending to be a moderator. last I checked, it wasn't up to Panteleimon to dictate what gets discussed on a developer's thread.

I'm excited about the patch being released also. Glad you feel the same way.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke