Backer Beta Patch Coming Soon

BAdler

I'd say that this depends on what you mean by "elaborate" patch notes. There should be some patch notes, even it's just a list of all the bugs that've been fixed and all of the changes that have been made as this is hugely helpful for testers (as I can attest from my day job!). One of the devs on here has already mentioned that they're using a bug tracker and most (if not all of those) are capable of a report showing what's been resolved in a particular period so I wouldn't be surprised if that's basically what we'll get...

It isn't exactly that easy, but we will send out notes that list some of the major fixes and some of the stuff we are still working on.

Why don't you just use a bug tracker? 

That would allow you to almost completely bypass the patch notes, wouldn't it?

We do use a bug tracker, but there are tons of fixes that go into the build everyday. We would have to go through and strip out the majority of fixes which may not be applicable to the beta. We are going to do that, but it won't be a comprehensive list, just the changes that we feel are most important for you guys to know.

• Like 3

It can't come soon enough! Any updated info on when the patch may drop?

We are looking to release it tomorrow. We have a build that looks like a good candidate (but main menu music stopped working). We are going to do a few fixes tonight and we will either push out tomorrow's build or, if tomorrow's build has problems, we will push out tonight's build.

Wonderful! If I understood this correctly, we'll get a new build today, and knowing Steam, possibly around 19:00 CET. I wonder which class I'll roll up this time. Perhaps a cipher.

We will most likely release it this afternoon. There is a bug we thought we had fixed in regards to modal abilities doubling after a save/load, but we found another set of steps that can trigger the problem. We want to fix that before we put out the next patch. I will keep you guys informed as to when I am ready to toss the build on Steam for you guys.

• Like 8

I'd say that this depends on what you mean by "elaborate" patch notes. There should be some patch notes, even it's just a list of all the bugs that've been fixed and all of the changes that have been made as this is hugely helpful for testers (as I can attest from my day job!). One of the devs on here has already mentioned that they're using a bug tracker and most (if not all of those) are capable of a report showing what's been resolved in a particular period so I wouldn't be surprised if that's basically what we'll get...

It isn't exactly that easy, but we will send out notes that list some of the major fixes and some of the stuff we are still working on.

Why don't you just use a bug tracker? 

That would allow you to almost completely bypass the patch notes, wouldn't it?

We do use a bug tracker, but there are tons of fixes that go into the build everyday. We would have to go through and strip out the majority of fixes which may not be applicable to the beta. We are going to do that, but it won't be a comprehensive list, just the changes that we feel are most important for you guys to know.

I can only imagine the time that would be wasted with having a producer wordsmith the changes that a programmer has written up for every ticket in the bug tracker.  :banghead:

We are looking to release it tomorrow. We have a build that looks like a good candidate (but main menu music stopped working). We are going to do a few fixes tonight and we will either push out tomorrow's build or, if tomorrow's build has problems, we will push out tonight's build.

Wonderful! If I understood this correctly, we'll get a new build today, and knowing Steam, possibly around 19:00 CET. I wonder which class I'll roll up this time. Perhaps a cipher.

We will most likely release it this afternoon. There is a bug we thought we had fixed in regards to modal abilities doubling after a save/load, but we found another set of steps that can trigger the problem. We want to fix that before we put out the next patch. I will keep you guys informed as to when I am ready to toss the build on Steam for you guys.

Thanks for keeping us updated Badler.

Btw, could I ask a favour? Any chance you could find someone from the company to respond to our 'combat xp' megathread?

No matter how many times cats fight, there's always plenty of kittens.

Btw, could I ask a favour? Any chance you could find someone from the company to respond to our 'combat xp' megathread?

We are aware of the thread internally, but I am not sure how much of it Josh has read. Regardless, I will let Josh make any comments about that system since it is a touchy subject and he is best equipped to answer those questions.

We are aware of the thread internally, but I am not sure how much of it Josh has read. Regardless, I will let Josh make any comments about that system since it is a touchy subject and he is best equipped to answer those questions.

New approaches are always going to met with some resistance. Rest assured Bradly & Josh that a sizable amount of your Beta Backers/Kickstarters are behind you with the XP system you have implemented for Pillars of Eternity. Don't let the incessant Trolls on that thread derail what you're trying to do with PoE. <3

• Like 1

You are basing that determination on the less than 1% of backers that participate in the forums or you have another source you can link?

I would imagine the poll is a good indication of how closely divided the Quest XP feature is among the Beta Backers.  And honestly, I thought nothing of it while playing through the Beta demo until the Trolls came out and started a constant drumbeat about it on the general forum. 

• Like 1

Please stop talking about off-topic subject matter in a thread not about it. I'm tired of every thread devolving.

This thread is about the backer beta and updates regarding it. Not your own personal thread to advocate for whatever you think is best.

Mods please feel free to delete this post after removing the off-topic ones as well. Thx

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 7

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

New approaches are always going to met with some resistance. Rest assured Bradly & Josh that a sizable amount of your Beta Backers/Kickstarters are behind you with the XP system you have implemented for Pillars of Eternity. Don't let the incessant Trolls on that thread derail what you're trying to do with PoE. <3

a previous poll, with far more respondents, showed that 70% o' backers either preferred quest or didn't care. 

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61543-are-you-for-or-against-gaining-experience-points-only-for-completing-objectives/

the new polls are amusing, but far less dispositive or meaningful than one might suggest.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

a previous poll, with far more respondents, showed that 70% o' backers either preferred quest or didn't care. 

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61543-are-you-for-or-against-gaining-experience-points-only-for-completing-objectives/

the new polls are amusing, but far less dispositive or meaningful than one might suggest.

HA! Good Fun!

Correction, that poll if for Objective XP, not Quest XP. Subtle but important difference.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update once again Badler, don't let the incessant Trolls on this thread derail your kind reply

Edited by DnaCowboy

No matter how many times cats fight, there's always plenty of kittens.

HA! Good Fun!

Correction, that poll if for Objective XP, not Quest XP. Subtle but important difference.

is not a meaningful difference. the current system is, for all intents and purposes, an objective xp mechanic. quibbles over nomenclature is silly, particularly when developers specific said that there would be no particular xp for "body count." in current build, folks got xp for simply entering the ogre cave. therefore, as can be seen, xp is not simple awarded for completion o' quest in even the current PoE builds. nevertheless, quibble over nomenclature is creating an issue that did not exist when the previous poll were formulated and is not meaningful now either.

HA! Good Fun!

edit: previous poll, not previous problem. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

HA! Good Fun!

is not a meaningful difference. the current system is, for all intents and purposes, an objective xp mechanic. quibbles over nomenclature is silly, particularly when developers specific said that there would be no particular xp for "body count." in current build, folks got xp for simply entering the ogre cave. therefore, as can be seen, xp is not simple awarded for completion o' quest in even the current PoE builds. nevertheless, quibble over nomenclature is creating an issue that did not exist when the previous poll were formulated and is not meaningful now either.

HA! Good Fun!

Im not quibbling over nomenclature. In my borked game, I never received a single point of XP for any action. Other posters say they got XP for entering the ogre cave. So if that's how the system is going to work, incremental XP rewards doled out along the way vice one lump sum at the end of the "quest", then most people will be happy. Objective XP and Quest XP are completely different imo.

• Like 3

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

Im not quibbling over nomenclature. In my borked game, I never received a single point of XP for any action. Other posters say they got XP for entering the ogre cave. So if that's how the system is going to work, incremental XP rewards doled out along the way vice one lump sum at the end of the "quest", then most people will be happy. Objective XP and Quest XP are completely different imo.

we would be careful o' playing the slippery slope semantics game, 'cause it will become problematic for you. quest/task/objective xp does not discriminate against play-styles. at the time o' the previous poll, the developers had made clear that "body count" would not specific yield additional xp, but keep in mind that if a player does kill all enemies to accomplish a goal, then functionally they is getting xp for combat. at the same time, if a player uses stealth to avoid combat and then finds a diplomatic solution to the ogre problem, they is arguably getting xp for stealth and conversational abilities. argue semantics will not end well for you.

furthermore, one need only watch the jorge and rose beta to see xp gain 'pon entering o' ogre cave. is admittedly a later build than the one you have access to, but you need simple watch the video to see objective/task xp being awarded... is not some kinda sneaky bit o' sleight o' hand that folks is trying to slip past gifted. you can see for yourself if you wish that PoE is awarding quest/task/objective/whatever, even if your build is complete bugged... such as is Gromnir's btw..

HA! Good Fun!