Backer Beta Patch Coming Soon

BAdler

Though I am not in Beta, I have tested for other games in the past and I always find the most satisfying and also infuriating thing is Developer feedback.

When it happens it moves the game forward, they can ask for areas to be tested and people will test those areas and provide specific feedback and everyone wins.

When devs are silent you end up feeling why bother my input isn't wanted so you stop and the game suffers.

So much Kudos to Devs responding may it continue up to and more importantly beyond launch :yes:

Thanks for the news. Will there be elaborate patch notes?

Writing elaborate patch notes takes quite a bit of time that can be spent else where actually fixing issues.  I don't think we need them at this point in development.  

I'd say that this depends on what you mean by "elaborate" patch notes. There should be some patch notes, even it's just a list of all the bugs that've been fixed and all of the changes that have been made as this is hugely helpful for testers (as I can attest from my day job!). One of the devs on here has already mentioned that they're using a bug tracker and most (if not all of those) are capable of a report showing what's been resolved in a particular period so I wouldn't be surprised if that's basically what we'll get...

thanks for your update, i would be veeeery pleased to know when we can assume the first beta release for OS X and linux?

And thanks for your hard work till now :D

We are still working on them. There are a few strange issues, but we are hoping that they will be up for the update after this one.

• Like 3

It won't be extremely elaborate, but we will try to list out the major fixes that we targeted and what are some of the big issues that we are still working on.

• Like 2

Hopefully the save/load fixes will also fix the game breaking dissapearing items and quest bugs... also the bug which causes some chars to get stuck after almost every battle until reload would be really nice to get fixed asap.

With those fixed, the beta might actually be playable enough to get more useful/reliable feedback from the testers.

They should be fixed. There is still an issue where secondary weapons in secondary weapon sets are disappearing, but it is proving a difficult fix. On the whole, though, save and load will be in a much better state.

Also, this patch will have our new pathfinding code which should help make combat a little more enjoyable/playable.

• Like 2

Im guessing when patch comes out we shouldnt continue our saves but start new ones?

I would start fresh ones. It is almost always a good practice to dump old saves while the game is still in development. Old data can cause strange bugs when you play,

• Like 1

It won't be extremely elaborate, but we will try to list out the major fixes that we targeted and what are some of the big issues that we are still working on.

No rush on this. I started a new run through of Planescape Torment over the weekend, and am enjoying it immensely (with some key mods installed, of course).

I should be tied up with this for a while, so feel free to make that update as close to perfect as you can manage!

Strongly recommend that folks go back and enjoy an IE run through during the wait time!

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

It can't come soon enough! Any updated info on when the patch may drop?

We are looking to release it tomorrow. We have a build that looks like a good candidate (but main menu music stopped working). We are going to do a few fixes tonight and we will either push out tomorrow's build or, if tomorrow's build has problems, we will push out tonight's build.

• Like 3

Though I am not in Beta, I have tested for other games in the past and I always find the most satisfying and also infuriating thing is Developer feedback.

When it happens it moves the game forward, they can ask for areas to be tested and people will test those areas and provide specific feedback and everyone wins.

When devs are silent you end up feeling why bother my input isn't wanted so you stop and the game suffers.

So much Kudos to Devs responding may it continue up to and more importantly beyond launch :yes:

We wish we could respond even more than we do. Unfortunately we are a small team and every body we have is needed for closing out the project. That said, we will try our best to listen and respond when we can.

• Like 1

Writing elaborate patch notes takes quite a bit of time that can be spent else where actually fixing issues.  I don't think we need them at this point in development.  

I'd say that this depends on what you mean by "elaborate" patch notes. There should be some patch notes, even it's just a list of all the bugs that've been fixed and all of the changes that have been made as this is hugely helpful for testers (as I can attest from my day job!). One of the devs on here has already mentioned that they're using a bug tracker and most (if not all of those) are capable of a report showing what's been resolved in a particular period so I wouldn't be surprised if that's basically what we'll get...

It isn't exactly that easy, but we will send out notes that list some of the major fixes and some of the stuff we are still working on.

• Like 1

No rush on this. I started a new run through of Planescape Torment over the weekend, and am enjoying it immensely (with some key mods installed, of course).

I should be tied up with this for a while, so feel free to make that update as close to perfect as you can manage!

Strongly recommend that folks go back and enjoy an IE run through during the wait time!

We would like to keep the patch releases fairly consistent. Every week or two, at least. We might even discuss putting out more frequent patches after the first few.

• Like 2

We would like to keep the patch releases fairly consistent. Every week or two, at least. We might even discuss putting out more frequent patches after the first few.

That's totally fine, of course. I'm sure the vast majority of backers want to throw a rock at me for making my previous post anyway. :p

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Nice to know that you devs keep us in the loop.

For me - as I want to play with German language - the first new build that shows the texts everywhere when you click on a "magnifying glass spot" will be interesting.  I know this thread is not the one used for reporting bugs, but with missing texts in German at every "magnifying glas spot" in the game it is much less fun to me.

Of course a better (fixed)  AI / fighting/combat will also be highly appreciated.

For the future of this beta and of this game I would appreciate if dev feedback is more frequently.

So thanks for all your hard work and for keeping us updated.

It isn't exactly that easy, but we will send out notes that list some of the major fixes and some of the stuff we are still working on.

Why don't you just use a bug tracker? 

That would allow you to almost completely bypass the patch notes, wouldn't it?

@Quantics ... only in a perfect world.

Problem with an issue tracker is that if it's used right, a LOT of stuff goes in, and gets processed fast. There will be invalid issues, duplicates, "could not reproduce" stuff, feature requests filed as bugs, and what have you. Even if you have really good discipline with that stuff, in a project of this scope just taking a dump of all issues between build A and build B, with a list of known unresolved issues, will produce something that's really big and really chaotic. 

Some companies have balls of steel and put the whole thing in public, but I understand and sympathize with not wanting to do that.

(We don't do that, as a matter of fact. We have internal release notes which do contain a list of everything that's been addressed, pulled directly from the issue tracker, but that only makes sense after the product lead has gone through everything and made sure they're marked with correct "Affects version" and "Fix version" fields, and then only if you're familiar with the architecture of our products. Then we prepare—manually—public release notes which explain the same stuff in terms understandable by the customers. This process takes easily a couple of days for a big release. We do not do this when iterating rapidly e.g. in a beta, because it would add a lot of friction to the process.)

Short version: I don't think we can handle the truth. There's enough bellyaching as it is.

• Like 4

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

It can't come soon enough! Any updated info on when the patch may drop?

We are looking to release it tomorrow. We have a build that looks like a good candidate (but main menu music stopped working). We are going to do a few fixes tonight and we will either push out tomorrow's build or, if tomorrow's build has problems, we will push out tonight's build.

Wonderful! If I understood this correctly, we'll get a new build today, and knowing Steam, possibly around 19:00 CET. I wonder which class I'll roll up this time. Perhaps a cipher.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Problem with an issue tracker is that if it's used right, a LOT of stuff goes in, and gets processed fast. There will be invalid issues, duplicates, "could not reproduce" stuff, feature requests filed as bugs, and what have you. Even if you have really good discipline with that stuff, in a project of this scope just taking a dump of all issues between build A and build B, with a list of known unresolved issues, will produce something that's really big and really chaotic. 

Some companies have balls of steel and put the whole thing in public, but I understand and sympathize with not wanting to do that.

(We don't do that, as a matter of fact. We have internal release notes which do contain a list of everything that's been addressed, pulled directly from the issue tracker, but that only makes sense after the product lead has gone through everything and made sure they're marked with correct "Affects version" and "Fix version" fields, and then only if you're familiar with the architecture of our products. Then we prepare—manually—public release notes which explain the same stuff in terms understandable by the customers. This process takes easily a couple of days for a big release. We do not do this when iterating rapidly e.g. in a beta, because it would add a lot of friction to the process.)

Short version: I don't think we can handle the truth. There's enough bellyaching as it is.

I personally like how the DotA 2 Dev forums are run, they have comprehensive known bug lists - http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=127919

That said, I believe that requires manpower.

• Like 1

@PrimeJunta

Makes total sense. Thanks for clarifying this :)

@Sensuki

I can barely imagine the time it takes to keep such an elaborate bug list up-to-date. Tbh I'd rather the devs used their time fixing the bugs, rather than wasting hours listing and describing them.

I just wish it was easier for beta-testers to organise bug reports. And I'm sure it takes Obsidian a lot of time to go through these forums as well.

Edited by Quantics

And as backer beta is alternate branch to actual game, meaning that bug/issue tracker will have lots of stuff that has little to do with backer beta that can spoil lot of stuff about the game, which Obsidian wanted to avoid by creating backer beta instead of giving access to full beta version of the game.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

If I was running the beta, I'd set up a separate instance of an issue tracker only for that, with the possibility to file anonymous reports. Then assign a QA dude or two to trawl through it, resolving the duplicates, invalid reports, and known issues, and zapping the new ones over to the internal system the devs see. It would save a lot of work over having the trawl through the forums for the same info, and we would get at least some idea of what's going on.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com