Do you want arrows/ammunition in PoE?

Marceror

Do you want arrows/ammunition in PoE?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want arrows/ammunition in PoE?

• Yes for all ammo - IE style ammunition (i.e. smaller stacks)
    • Yes for all ammo - Infinite stacks for each ammo type
    • Yes for magical ammunition (unlimited stacks). No for mundane (non magical) ammo
    • No - managing ammunition is too big of a pain to deal with
    • What in god's name is PoE? I thought this was the Call of Duty forums!

Note that if mundane ammo is included, different types of arrows (e.g. bodkin) can also be included in the game.

Magical arrows can refer to any of the following (and plenty more):

• Arrows that hit harder than normal
  • Arrows that are poisoned
  • Arrows that add elemental damage
  • Arrows that cause a fiery explosion
  • Arrows that dispel magical effects
  • Etc.
Edited by Marceror

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

It all depends on the way ranged weapons are handled. With the current damage output and rates of fire, finite ammunition wouldn't be all that great. if the rate of fire or damage rates were bumped up to account for making ammunition a strategic resource, then I'd definitely be in favor of finite ammunition.

Do remember that the amount of bullets&arrows in a stack in IE was small even by realistic standards. Before BG2 there were only 20 in a stack, then 40, although real combat archer would probably carry more. I'd start with slowing every ranged weapon down and stacks of 50. It's a lot, especially if you're not shooting from a horseback or something, but then you can go even between 50 and a 100. Carrying 2 stacks of 50 should be enough for even most combat heavy adventuring day or more.

With that in mind people should concider that managing ammunition in games can often become a chore because of small stacks of it/bloated hp/redonkulous amount of mobs you need to kill. It's not the idea itself that is at fault.

I was quite surprised when in beta roaming through dungeons I never found a stack of 40 +1 fire arrows. Yet I did find a bunch of unlimited Fine Arquebuses with 70 dmg per shot that are even more balance/immersion/worldbuilding breaking.

At least make gunpowder a rare resource. That would bring some choice back to what you want to use as a ranged weapon.

Edited by Shadenuat

I'm also a little confused by the options you included. What's the point of including an option for "unlimited" stacks of ammunition. It just seems redundant with your "no" option.

The "No" option is just that. You will never see any ammunition in the game. For a lot of people (myself included), this feels like an unnecessary streamlining for a game that is supposed to be descended from the Infinity Engine games, but a lot of people want this so it needed to be in the poll.

The unlimited stack option is completely different. With this option, if you have no ammunition you can not fire your weapon (unless it's a special, magically created weapon that provided unlimited ammo). To fire, you need ammo, but with this option if you have 1 mundane arrow or 1,000 mundane arrows, you don't need more than a single inventory slot to store them. This option is similar to a lot of the "Ease of Use" player made modifications that exist for the Infinity Engine games.

Edited by Marceror

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Keep it to one thread. It would be a bit unwieldy if everyone creates a new thread just because they want a poll. Then just imagine when they want new polls for different options.

Current active thread.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."