Combat XP Now Or Add-On Pledge Later?

DnaCowboy

Implementing Combat XP Now or as an Add-On Pledge?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy to wait for combat xp to be implemented in the main game or wait and pledge towards it as an add-on?

• I'd prefer to have combat XP implemented in the main game although that means the game may be delayed
    • I would far prefer combat XP be added as the first add-on pledge
    • Alternative approach (which the voter will lay out in thread and subsequently added to the poll choices)

Sorry about another poll, although it is related to the previous poll on Combat XP we require a new question to vote on how combat xp is implemented. I have contacted the developers to see if implementing combat xp is feasible in retail or as a primary Wish List proposal.

This question is aimed at those who voted (the majority) for combat xp in Pillars.

Question:

if the developers conceded in adding combat xp to the game would you be happy to wait while combat xp was implemented or would you prefer it as the first wish-list/add-on package?

Edited by DnaCowboy

No matter how many times cats fight, there's always plenty of kittens.

This is a poorly made poll. It creates a false choice. You should have a gradation of options which include options for people who want other type of xp systems, no changes, etc. One choice for other is crap.

Fine, please put forward what you believe to be the best choices and I will implement them in the poll.

thanks.

Edited by DnaCowboy

Alternative approach: Ban DnaCowboy.

I'd pledge, like, a thousand dollars for that.

• Like 4

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

look, we all know you don't want combat xp but why do you keep trying to shut down others that do?  Entering threads and trolling seems a silly way to put your position across, it makes you look boring and predictable.

Edited by DnaCowboy

I'd like to wait for a whole overhaul of the mechanics, not just the XP issue.

It's seems the main focus has been on balance rather than on fun; for a game that relies so heavily on combat as a mean of questing (by admission of the developers) it seems we've got something a good portion of the people here would rather avoid or have redesigned.

Edited by Msxyz
  • Like 1

It's seems the main focus has been on balance rather than on fun; for a game that relies so heavily on combat as a mean of questing (by admission of the developers) it seems we've got something a good portion of the people here would rather avoid or have redesigned.

Do we have a time scale on an overhaul and would it allow for combat xp to be added?

Edited by DnaCowboy

Do we have a time scale on an overhaul and would it allow for combat xp to be added?

It depends on how deep you want this redesign to be.

I wouldn't be contrary to scrap the mechanics and to replace them with something Pathfinder inspired, but it would take several months, not to mention a new playtesting phase.

It depends on how deep you want this redesign to be.

I wouldn't be contrary to scrap the mechanics and to replace them with something Pathfinder inspired, but it would take several months, not to mention a new playtesting phase.

Well, I gather that there are some like Sevek who want xp to be added to other conditions; however, for myself I like the game engine as it is but with the addition of combat XP and perhaps furthering the concept of employing tools in your environment to facilitate exploration. I like your idea on path-finding though.

Can we get rid of you too? I would sacrifice DnaCowboy to the god of IP blacklisting if it meant less **** posting troll comments from you. :yes:

From George Ziets @ http://new.spring.me/#!/user/GZiets/timeline/responses

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

Sorry about another poll, although it is related to the previous poll on Combat XP we require a new question to vote on how combat xp is implemented. I have contacted the developers to see if implementing combat xp is feasible in retail or as a primary Wish List proposal.

This question is aimed at those who voted (the majority) for combat xp in Pillars.

Question:

if the developers conceded in adding combat xp to the game would you be happy to wait while combat xp was implemented or would you prefer it as the first wish-list/add-on package?

1) You are not in the majority. 

2) You are also not a spokesman for anyone

3) Obsidian is not going to change the experience system. 

• Like 2

Go see a doctor.

Doctor-Who-Series-8-Peter-Capaldi-350x20

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Doctor Jones, Jones, Calling Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones, Doctor Jones, Wake up now

Ah-yippie-yi-yu

Ah-yippie-yi-yeah

Ah-yippie-yi-yu-ah

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

I'm all for combat XP but these polls are getting ridiculous.

Yes, 50% of the players want it, 50% do not. No, it is not difficult to implement, Obsidian said so. It's crystal clear by now that there's no easy choice here, iterating this nonsense over and over won't change that, so stop making superfluous spam threads and let Obsidian decide how they'll react to the community preference (or lack thereof).

• Like 2

There is a road that I must travel
Let it be paved or unseen
May I be hindered by a thousand stones
Still onward I'd crawl down on my knees.

I'm all for combat XP but these polls are getting ridiculous.

Yes, 50% of the players want it, 50% do not. No, it is not difficult to implement, Obsidian said so. It's crystal clear by now that there's no easy choice here, iterating this nonsense over and over won't change that, so stop making superfluous spam threads and let Obsidian decide how they'll react to the community preference (or lack thereof).

Your post has inspired me to create the Definitive Experience Points Poll. It will be the mother of all XP polls, you'll see.

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

DNA Cowboy, you lower our great nation of England with your incessant calls to overhaul the fundamentals BEFORE finding out whether Obsidian can indeed make them work, allow these ideas time to grow before pulling them out root and stem. Progress needs your forbearance, sir.

• Like 1

We don't need three threads on combat XP. I'm leaving the longest one up.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."