KEEP PIRATE STYLE PISTOL PLZ

Sensuki

Pistol hits almost as hard as an arquebus it is clearly not intended ;p. Also you can already do this you just have to swap weapons. Sounds cool on paper, but worth effort and even that effective in combat? Not particularly.

Its was pretty effective. I actually thought it was part of the game since the first thing I did upon finding a pistol was pair it with a sabre. What happens is you fire then attack with your melee for rest of round then it takes a round to reload where you do nothing and it repeats that pattern. I had a high resolve build which seemed to prevent most interruption during reload (since I was in melee). Overall it worked great which is why I figured it was meant to be apart of the game haha.
  • Like 1

What is this thread about?  They are going to keep pistol but 2H exclusive weapon.  Indeed, frintlock pistols can be fired with 1H while it is impossible to reload them with just one hand.  Since it's true that you cannot keep shooting with frintlock pistols with one hand, I think keeping it 2H makes sense in this kind of game with abstract rule sets.

Currently you can use a pistol with a melee weapon.

At the start of combat you fire the pistol, then attack with your melee weapon in the other hand.

At least, what the OP is suggesting sounds reasonable in terms of likelihood (realism sounds rather silly in this kind of game).  I don't know much about the development but the implementation and the ensuing costs could be an issue, though.

[Edit]On second thoughts, shouldn't this be possible even if the pistols become exclusively 2H?  I mean, just shoot the pistol with 2H till engagement and switch to a melee weapon of your liking.  Shield + pistol combination will become impossible but it's kind of silly due to the reason I wrote, anyway.  So, is it now about only the fashion?[/Edit]

FIGHT FOR PIRATE STYLE PISTOL OPENERS EVERYONE
FUN > BANALCE

Except I don't agree on this.  We have our own fantasy and, in fact, I personally asked for a possible defensive build for a rogue but, not with the cost of balancing.  In fact, after I put my hands on the beta, I found myself reluctant to build a defensive rogue just for fashion or style.  That said, the devs might come up with some ideas which can satisfy both balance and your fantasy.

Edited by Wombat

I agree with that guy earlier in the thread who said he thought this was already a feature....I too thought you were going to be able to use a pistol in 1 hand and a sword in the other...guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to that part.

That being said of course I want it in...I played a Swashbuckler in BG2 !

That picture of the pirate gives me ideas of dual wielding Sword+Gun... but that sounds like a coding nightmare too (with how the code looks now).

"If Melee, attack with sword, if Range, attack with gun" = Lots of bugs, probably, "I'm in melee why is my gun shooting!" or "Why is my character swinging the sword in ranged and the opponent takes damage!?".

Well they could put the pistol on a cooldown as well after it's fired which disables it from being used....

It could also double as a club after the first hit :biggrin: bash someone with the other end!

Edited by GreyFox

Well they could put the pistol on a cooldown as well after it's fired which disables it from being used....

It could also double as a club after the first hit :biggrin: bash someone with the other end!

Theirs a good chance that it would be useless at anything else beside clubing someone to death. Lets call it it in-combat crafting. :p

Edited by Mayama

• 3 weeks later...

Ok wait this is a bug???!!!!!

DO NOT FIX!!!!!

so far i have been playing nothing but pirates. Pirate rogue, pirate fighter, and a pirate chanter.

I love this game so much right now because i get to ay a pirate and the sabre and flintlock is fuxkimg awesome!!!! Granted ive ran into the bug that i cant attack because i spend foreber reloading but dammit im loving this!

Again DO NOT FIX!

The sword and gun thing is in (functionally) via quick weapon slots. Why put in a weapon style that is largely useless? One shot and then what? A real pirate would likely toss the pistol on the ground or shove it in his belt/sash/whatever. He wouldnt keep holding it in his hand like a grinning idiot while akwardly slashing with his offhand.

A better addition would be a talent akin to quick draw that allows instant switching between one handed weapons when nothing is in the offhand. That would give you the mechanically equivalent of a pirate firing off a pistol or tossing a grenado and then busting out his boarding axe/cutlass/smallsword/cuttoe/etc.

Edited by Shevek
  • Like 3

Hello?  LOOK AT THE PICTURE.

Unfortunately you can't access your inventory in combat in PE *dies inside*

They need to redo the weapon slot system anyway.

There should be 2-4 right-hand slots and the same number of left-hand slots that you can mix at will.

Of course the best argument for such a change is: OMG WE NEED PIRATE STYLE!!!!

• Like 1

Pfff, this isn't "pirate style." By the era of full plate, knights often carried a brace of pistols or other firearm, and from their training manuals, it seems clear that sword-and-gun was an extant fighting technique among heavy cavalry, such as the Polish hussars. And this was back when guns were worthless in terms of accuracy - depictions show that they were used chiefly as close-range weapons.

Support Polish-style pistols!

• Like 5

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Swedish light cavalry (sometimes referred as Hakkapeliittas, because of battle cry that their Finnish speaking majority used) used in Thirty Years' War (1618 to 1648) were armed with two pistols, sword and leather or metal cuirass. Tactic that they used was to ride close to enemy infantry or cavalry line and shoot with both pistols and then charge in melee with their sword, which differentiated their tactic from typical light cavalry tactic (caracole) as typically light cavalry would ride back to reload their pistols and letting heavy cavalry do the charging towards enemy. Swedish tactics prove to be effective especially as part of three branch (artillery, infantry, cavalry) joint tactics, where cavalry's task was to disturb enemy's infantry and block enemy's calvary to disturb Swedish infantry, which Swedish cavalry was good as it didn't need rely on another cavalry regiment to take care of melee.  

This tidbit information is to add notion that brace of pistols and sword style isn't pirate origin but something that they adopted from militaries.

• Like 2

You would only fire one bullet at the start of combat, right? Can't really reload with one hand. I support this as long as it makes sense.

edit: Does dual wielding lower your accuracy with your main hand, or how does that work?

Edited by Seari

Well, you get +15 Accuracy for using a 1H weapon without anything in the other hand. So presumably, if this were implemented as a full feature (AS IT SHOULD BE  :dancing:), that Accuracy bonus wouldn't be present when using this system. You'd also (presumably) get the extra 1s of recovery time since you're not dual wielding. Not sure how it works at the moment though.

That'd be a more than decent tradeoff though. Missing out on 15 Accuracy for the sake of an opening salvo - it'd be UP, but who cares? It'd be fun. :p

Well, you get +15 Accuracy for using a 1H weapon without anything in the other hand. So presumably, if this were implemented as a full feature (AS IT SHOULD BE  :dancing:), that Accuracy bonus wouldn't be present when using this system. You'd also (presumably) get the extra 1s of recovery time since you're not dual wielding. Not sure how it works at the moment though.

That'd be a more than decent tradeoff though. Missing out on 15 Accuracy for the sake of an opening salvo - it'd be UP, but who cares? It'd be fun. :p

How would you not be dual weilding using a pistol and blade? I count two hands needed? :o

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

It sounds pretty crappy to me and would go against their no bad builds ethos. It would pretty much be a trap. 

I still say they should fix the bug (since its dumb; no real pirate would hold on to his pistol for the duration of a battle after he has fired his shot). Again, they can mechanically implement the style through the existing quick weapon slot system and some quick draw like talents for switching between one handed melee or ranged weapons when nothing is in the offhand. 

Well, you get +15 Accuracy for using a 1H weapon without anything in the other hand. So presumably, if this were implemented as a full feature (AS IT SHOULD BE :dancing:), that Accuracy bonus wouldn't be present when using this system. You'd also (presumably) get the extra 1s of recovery time since you're not dual wielding. Not sure how it works at the moment though.

How would you not be dual weilding using a pistol and blade? I count two hands needed? :o
Well I meant from a perspective of recovery time. Dual wielders have shorter recovery time than sword and board or just sword people. I was saying that if using this style, you shouldn't get the speed bonus from dual wielding even though you are holding something in both hands. Can understand how my statement would be confusing though.

EDIT: That said, another (even better) option would be to have the pistol function as a 1H fast weapon with no special advantages (i.e. no DT piercing, Deflection bonus, etc) after it's fired. Pistol whipping, basically. Then you WOULD be dual wielding, it would be reasonably well balanced, and... Yarr. Obs pls.

Edited by Matt516