Interview with Feargus Urquhart

Hahaha. Matt was trying to get hints for the next Kickstarter and was suggesting whether it was going to be MCA's project. Instead, Feargus may have misunderstood and kept on talking about PoE and of Fenstermaker and Sawyer.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Hahaha. Matt was trying to get hints for the next Kickstarter and was suggesting whether it was going to be MCA's project. Instead, Feargus may have misunderstood and kept on talking about PoE and of Fenstermaker and Sawyer.

yeah, it did appear as if the interviewer and interviewee were not on the same page regarding the new kickstarter... or maybe feargus were doing intentional.  didn't Seem intentional, but is not as if Gromnir and feargus is thursday nite billiards pals or any such thing. 

am gonna be displaying poor board etiquette and quote our self... or at least link a post we already made regarding this video as it would seem the video is being discussed in at least three different threads on this board.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68040-pretty-disappointed-this-launches-in-december/?p=1497109

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah. The video is in three different threads. Seems to me that we should keep this one specific to Eternity.

Will definitely have to gauge where they are after the next BB build. I'm assuming though that the dedicated QA teams are working on the full game that is one or two builds ahead of the BB.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Yeah. The video is in three different threads. Seems to me that we should keep this one specific to Eternity.

Will definitely have to gauge where they are after the next BB build. I'm assuming though that the dedicated QA teams are working on the full game that is one or two builds ahead of the BB.

yeah, am suspecting that backer beta maybe has some impact on implementation o' those missing talents the developers has mentioned-- as long as most talents represent simple numerical modifiers of existing abilities and skills. given aggressiveness o' release, is hard to imagine the adding o' talents that would require any sorta animations or complex implementations. am also doubtful that most (not all) o' our board feedback regarding bugs is particular useful as we would tend to agree with you that QA must needs be a couple iterations ahead o' what we is seeing.

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

yeah, am suspecting that backer beta maybe has some impact on implementation o' those missing talents the developers has mentioned-- as long as most talents represent simple numerical modifiers of existing abilities and skills. given aggressiveness o' release, is hard to imagine the adding o' talents that would require any sorta animations or complex implementations. am also doubtful that most (not all) o' our board feedback regarding bugs is particular useful as we would tend to agree with you that QA must needs be a couple iterations ahead o' what we is seeing.

HA! Good Fun!

Agreed.

The QA teams (in-house and with Paradox) will have caught a high percentage (though not all) of the actual bugs -and they will catch even more so when including those that are not reported from the BB.

But I'm suspecting that Obsidian is essentially using the BB as glorified focus group testing. They'll implement tweaks here and there based on useful feedback and add talents accordingly but don't expect wholesale changes. The BB can also help catch those pesky hard crashes that are a result of unoptimized or incompatible hardware/drivers that are nearly impossible to reproduce in an enclosed test environment.

Edited by Leferd

Around 12:00, "Pillars of Eternity will be released this year!" Feargus, you intrepid man! :w00t:

He also says that DA:I has most likely been moved out from this year.

"Our artists are moving on to the expansion pack in the next week or two..."

But we need more item drawings and portraits and... ;)

At 24:00: Undead western, horror western, zombie western... Go, Feargus, go!!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Around 12:00, "Pillars of Eternity will be released this year!" Feargus, you intrepid man! :w00t:

They'll be drawing portraits for the expansion that'll be also used in the base game.  :p

I doubt DA:I is getting pushed back.  If it is the blow will be huge missing the holiday season especially when you consider what is releasing in February.... Witcher 3.  They need to release in that dead spot to maximize profit cause if they release with Witcher DA:I will get the short end of the stick.

I doubt DA:I is getting pushed back.  If it is the blow will be huge missing the holiday season especially when you consider what is releasing in February.... Witcher 3.  They need to release in that dead spot to maximize profit cause if they release with Witcher DA:I will get the short end of the stick.

Doubt it, they managed to hype this one even more then DA2.

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Too bad the memory (and disappoinment) of DA2 is still fresh.

I think a lot of people will wait to read reviews and hear other people's opinions before buying this.

I think a lot of people will wait to read reviews and hear other people's opinions before buying this.

You overestimate the memory of gamers, and underestimate the hype machine of EA. DA:I will sell twice the amound Witcher 3 will, regardless of the games' quality.

Edited by Malekith
  • Like 1

The disappointment was mostly based on the fact that DA2 wasn't exactly like DA:O. DA:O was a CRPG, DA2 was an ARPG. People who got over it enjoyed the game (like I did) and people who couldn't get over it whined. And whined. And whined. And some are still whining even now.

Edited by prodigydancer
  • Like 1

The disappointment was mostly based on the fact that DA2 wasn't exactly like DA:O. DA:O was a CRPG, DA2 was an ARPG. People who got over it enjoyed the game (like I did) and people who couldn't get over it whined. And whined. And whined. And some are still whining even now.

What you say implies that these people will pass on DAI if it's an Arpg

Probably. Don't get me wrong - there were things I genuinely disliked about DA2: redesing elves, redesigned Flemeth, the lack of tactical camera, gear oversimplification, the Arishok fight. But the combat system was epic and for me this outweighed all shortcomings.

Edited by prodigydancer

Probably. Don't get me wrong - there were things I genuinely disliked about DA2: redesing elves, redesigned Flemeth, the lack of tactical camera, gear oversimplification. But the combat system was epic and for me this outweighed all shortcomings.

Couldn't disagree more

• Like 1

if you ask me DA2 WAS exactly like DA:O.. the only two major differences in the combat system i noticed are the slightly reduced maximal camera zoom, and the lack of long casting times

those are stupid changes, but very very minor in the end

in pretty much every other aspect DA2 is a improvement over DA:O - especially the fact hat DA2 is much less stretched out than DA:O, which is at LEAST 20 hours too long for how much meat there is to it

boss battles sucked in both titles...

Edited by lolaldanee

DA:O, which is at LEAST 20 hours too long for how much meat there is to it

boss battles sucked in both titles...

While i agree 100% to this ( more than 20 hours to be frank), DA2 had the same problem. It's unique. quality content was less than 5 hours altogether.

DA2 WAS exactly like DA:O.

I dare you to go to BSN and express that opinion there. /evil smile

Hell, any opinion that isn't "DA:O > DA2" or "LOL INDOCTRINATION THEORY THE ENDING OF ME3 SUXXXXX0RED" is usually met with open arms, right?

Right!?

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

DA2 WAS exactly like DA:O.

I dare you to go to BSN and express that opinion there. /evil smile

that's not an opinion, that's a fact, by any sane definition of "something being the same, or very similar"

my OPINION on dragon age 2 is that it is one of the best computer games ever created, easily in my personal top 10, and does have the best characters and dialog besides the mass effect games

together with the best choice and consequence in any game i have ever played, with the one exception of alpha protocol, which is just as good in that regard

even thinking about the characters in DA2 makes me smile, this game has some of the most clever lines of dialog ever written, at the very least as far as comical relief is concerned

i have very high hopes though, that obsidian will outdo themselfs and deliver an even better game with POE, at the very least in regards to choice and consequence! everything we have heard so far in that direction sounds like a dream come true

and that's the reason why i would possibly back any further kickstarter they could possibly run, although horror wester sounds like one of my least prefered scenarios :( can't we leave the "horror" part out of that?

Edited by lolaldanee