Do you want experience from combat?

DnaCowboy

Poll: Do You Want Combat Experience Included In The Game?  

377 members have voted

1. 1. Do you the backer want experience from combat?

• Yay, how on earth could any game call itself a crpg without combat exp?
    • Nay, questing is king
  2. 2. Would you be happy to wait for combat xp to be implemented in the main game or wait and pledge towards it as an add-on?

• I'd prefer to have combat XP implemented in the main game although that means the game may be delayed
    • I would far prefer combat XP be added as the first add-on pledge
    • Would you be happy to wait for combat xp to be implemented in the main game or wait and pledge towards it as an add-on?
    • Alternative approach (which the voter will lay out in thread)
    • N/A

And...

3. You make the player more vulnerable to game-breaking bugs due to lack of xp progression and thus upcoming walls hit due to encounters being too hard, quests not flagged as finished, and even entire areas level-capped, something I've written about earlier.

With xp in small increments, and not these bloated quest xp lumps, this will never be such big threats.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

With the new beta removing a lot of bugs, has it been proven that there isn't any objective XP? For example, PrimeJunta observed 1500XP for entering the Ogre cave. Is that not the case? Is that only the case because he was on the farmer quest (what happens if you go to the cave before getting the quest?)

With the term "objective XP", Im referring to incremental XP rewards doled out over the course of gaming instead of only getting XP when you turn in the quest.

Just checked and without the Quest Giver, you get a whopping 0 xp.

I went straight to Dyrford Crossing, battled my way through and entered the cave. 0 xp

Then I went to the Ogre and killed him as there was no dialogue options concerning the Quest. 0 xp

I did however take the Ogre's head and blood. But nothing to indicate what this was all about. So all in all. You get nothing from doing this unless you find the Quest Giver. However, I decided to hand in the quest (knowing it was the farmer) and there was a dialogue to finish the quest. I did receive xp but no xp amounts showed up in the combat log to confirm how much I received.

Now if anything is like this in the final game, you may me going past 'xp check points' like the Ogre Cave and not knowing there is an 'xp check point' there because you didn't click on the quest giver. Without the quest givers, this has some problems. Two come to mind:

1. You will have Quest items not knowing what these quest items are stacking up in your Quest stash. You then have to click on villagers to find out who this quest item belongs to. You may be in the wrong town or map if there are city maps involved.

2. You are missing out on xp along your route and this may have problems with levelling up. You may be just off levelling up and going past an xp check point and not knowing about it, while another player will know about the xp check points and level up accordingly.

Oy! You make it sound much worse than I was anticipating. More and more I realize that the strategy guide was the best $7 I spent in this endeavor. :lol:

Maybe they will need to implement exclamation points over quest giver heads so people don't miss out on content. :runs:

• Like 3

I'm also thinking of large maps like city maps. What if multiple quests intersect and while doing one quest, you're going past another xp check point from another quest and miss out on it. Whereas I talk to two quest givers and get both 'xp check points' from the two quests along my route. I can see my walkthrough opened while playing. :lol:

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 1

Unlike in BG1, where I actually use those towns and inns as hubs, and then my party goes exploring, while also mixing in a few town quests, in PoE, the most effective way will be (if you want to advance your party xp-wise): Reach cities first, talk to everyone, preferably in the order of best xp capping returns, and solve all in-town quests first. Later, do all the quest loops stretching out from that town. *Sigh* Most likely, I'll try and play it my way, anyways, and see where that leads me. The finish the entire xp with zero xp Steam achievement.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

You get the same amount of XP no matter how you complete your quest. The XP checkpoints that are part of quests are necessarily activated by completing those quests. For instance, if you go straight to the cave, kill the Ogre, then talk to the farmer, you get the same XP as if you talk to the farmer, then go to the Cave and deal with the Ogre. The cave XP checkpoint must necessarily be broken, so if it isn't flagged when the quest is completed, you'll still get that XP.

There are plenty of contrived situations being described in previous posts, which have very little to do with the XP system, rely on the quests being designed by mentally challenged Koalas, and completely ignore similar circumstances in the IE games.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I assumed you did get all the xp for the Ogre quest. For me, I'll be clicking on all the quest givers first to get all those xp check points on my route instead of getting them at the end of the quests. You could very well level up collecting all those check points on your route.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

I know that I leveled up at a checkpoint during a quest.  For example, when I walked into the big battle in the cult dungeon, I leveled up because it was a checkpoint.  ...But this has nothing to do with combat XP, really.  If you had the same circumstances in BG, at least if I recall it right, you would have the same circumstances for the quest XP.  You would get kill XP on top, but if you went out of your way to avoid quests in BG, you would still miss out on a boatload of XP.  The issue you describe is quest design, as Tart said, not whether you are granted kill XP.

EDIT:  And, of course, if you avoided all dialogue and/or declined all quests, I suppose you could create the circumstances despite how the devs designed the quest.  Yep, ultimate freedom.  We don't need no stinkin' quests in an IE game!

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

3) yes, you get incremental xp for taking various significant steps in achieving quests-- this is confirmed.

HA! Good Fun!

Has anyone experimented to see what happens if you go to the cave before you talk to the farmer?

I did this and killed ogre, any of this don't give you xp. But when you go town and speak with farmer I got xp from finding ogre's cavern when I got quest from him. Some reason I can't give orgre's head for the farmer to finish the quest but I think reason for that is that my main is chanter and she did vanishing act caused by bug which your character can vanish when you change area when you have skeleton minions summoned.

But as farmer quest that beta uses is prototype version and not actual version of the quest (which you can find from game files) I think they don't necessary have all variations of xp checks in place, as prototype file seems to only check if you have quest activated when you enter in the cave and add text in journal if you do.

I assumed you did get all the xp for the Ogre quest. For me, I'll be clicking on all the quest givers first to get all those xp check points on my route instead of getting them at the end of the quests. You could very well level up collecting all those check points on your route.

Do you see the amount of assumptions in this post? First, you assume that there will be plenty of these checkpoints. Second, you assume that they will provide considerable XP. Third, you assume that quest givers will be concentrated in a manner that makes your approach economical.

You, along with everyone else on this forum, have pretty much no clue about what any of the quest and quest giver distribution, XP checkpoint rewards, quest design, etc., in the finished product will be like. You're arguing based on contrived scenarios and wild assumptions, and treating those as fact. It is as silly and useless as me arguing that combat XP is stupid because what if they give me ten billion XP for killing a Kobold?

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]