Do you want experience from combat?

DnaCowboy

Poll: Do You Want Combat Experience Included In The Game?  

377 members have voted

1. 1. Do you the backer want experience from combat?

• Yay, how on earth could any game call itself a crpg without combat exp?
    • Nay, questing is king
  2. 2. Would you be happy to wait for combat xp to be implemented in the main game or wait and pledge towards it as an add-on?

• I'd prefer to have combat XP implemented in the main game although that means the game may be delayed
    • I would far prefer combat XP be added as the first add-on pledge
    • Would you be happy to wait for combat xp to be implemented in the main game or wait and pledge towards it as an add-on?
    • Alternative approach (which the voter will lay out in thread)
    • N/A

Jeeze I thought gromnir was from a non english speaking country doing his best to write in english. Wow he writes that way by choice?

got an mfa in english and everything. go figure.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The ingenuity is in the details, of an imaginary dialect. Which is already incorrect, as it is an imaginary syntax. Also incorrect, since it exists on 'paper', consistently, not solely in the imagination. My best guess as a hack English major, is, it's a distinct mix of simple present and past continuous verb tenses, built on decapitating adverbs, wrapped in received pronunciation. Consistent reproduction can only indicate a greater comprehension of the official language. Also explains the schmuck detection.  

Edit: ninja'd by an MFA, as always. I'll just go read my Little Golden Book. 

Edited by ManifestedISO
  • Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Some people here really need to learn what kickstarter is.

It doesnt matter if you like no kill xp or not, the important thing is that you (like everyone else) invested money in a project based on faith. Thats a decision you took more than a year ago and will not change. We invested into a idea with good faith and in return the company also agreed on dealing with us in good faith. What some here dont want to understand is that we have zero control over what the company does, its something we agreed on when we signed the contract. Its a standard investment thing, like the stock market. If you chose to invest your money on the basis of this agreemment then it's your own fault if you are not mature enough to deal with the fact that the company you investet in uses its expertise to decide things in a way that you do not agree with. Even if you seriously believe that the whole game will be ruined because it has no combat XP, you've hopefully learned a important lesson about what crowdfunding is and informing yourself beforehand of the risk involved. They did a good job of making their planned game completly clear and if you did not do your research its your own fault so stop behaving like spoiled little kids. 

You paid them to do their job on the basis of the design documents they showed to the public. You paid professionals to do the work and like everywhere else in the world you pay them because you trust them to do a better job than you could do. Thats how it works in the capitalist enviroment in which we live in. If you cant live with the fact that a professional that you paid made a decision that you disagree with than all I can say is "welcome to the real world" because thats exactly the reason why you hire such people. 

/thread

Edited by Mayama
  • Like 2

Jeeze I thought gromnir was from a non english speaking country doing his best to write in english. Wow he writes that way by choice?

HA! Good Fun!

To bad you don't use it, seriously your posts are painful to read.  I honestly don't know what half your arguments are about because I don't bother reading them.

HA! Good Fun!

To bad you don't use it, seriously your posts are painful to read.  I honestly don't know what half your arguments are about because I don't bother reading them.

Gromnir, on the other hand, feels complete justified in dismissing half your arguments only after reading them.  

what does that say 'bout your character compared to ours? we wonder.

"The ingenuity is in the details, of an imaginary dialect. Which is already incorrect, as it is an imaginary syntax. Also incorrect, since it exists on 'paper', consistently, not solely in the imagination. My best guess as a hack English major, is, it's a distinct mix of simple present and past continuous verb tenses, built on decapitating adverbs, wrapped in received pronunciation. Consistent reproduction can only indicate a greater comprehension of the official language. Also explains the schmuck detection. "

that sorta perspicacity has no place on a crpg message board. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir, on the other hand, feels complete justified in dismissing half your arguments only after reading them.  

what does that say 'bout your character compared to ours? we wonder.

"The ingenuity is in the details, of an imaginary dialect. Which is already incorrect, as it is an imaginary syntax. Also incorrect, since it exists on 'paper', consistently, not solely in the imagination. My best guess as a hack English major, is, it's a distinct mix of simple present and past continuous verb tenses, built on decapitating adverbs, wrapped in received pronunciation. Consistent reproduction can only indicate a greater comprehension of the official language. Also explains the schmuck detection. "

that sorta perspicacity has no place on a crpg message board. 

HA! Good Fun!

Doesn't matter it's all white noise. I don't know what your saying and now that I know it's an act I don't care. I tried reading your stuff because I thought  that was you. 

I'd rather play a game like D:OS with poor writing but bags of game play than a storytyme RPG with crap combat.

People don't seem to get this, in a game, gameplay rules and the story serves.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I'd rather play a game like D:OS with poor writing but bags of game play than a storytyme RPG with crap combat.

People don't seem to get this, in a game, gameplay rules and the story serves.

Thats why a game like planescape torment is considered one of the best games ever, because of the exiting gameplay.

Edited by Mayama
  • Like 1

Thats why a game like planescape torment is considered one of the best games ever, because of the exiting gameplay.

That game flopped hard, like commercially it was a failure. So I don't know what you are talking about. Also considered the best game by who?

• Like 1

That game flopped hard, like commercially it was a failure. So I don't know what you are talking about. Also considered the best game by who?

Just google it, the success of the tides of numeanor kickstarter success is also a good indicator for it and if commercially successfull equals quality for you than you must think the call of duty series is the best franchise ever created.

Just google it, the success of the tides of numeanor kickstarter success is also a good indicator for it and if commercially successfull equals quality for you than you must think the call of duty series is the best franchise ever created.

Well when the game doesn't make enough money to cover it's budget in the first year, then yeah it's definitely a flop by anyone's standard. As for the kickstarter, well it just rode the hype train that Wastelands and PoE created. If Torment was the first KS out of the gate I very much doubt it would have made even a quarter of that money.

• Like 1

If it sells in consecutive iterations of the same gameplay and it sells more and more, apparently it is a good franchise.

Sure, PS:T is a gem of a game, but  it is a gem in terms of an art... compare gaming to movie industry...

Some really good movies have little income from box offices, and some other hollywood blockbusters sells in hundreds of millions $. From the business perspective, the one with $$$ is way better than the one with poor sales. From the pure art perspective the one with lower $ might be better.

Rpgcodex: best rpg of all time

Well when the game doesn't make enough money to cover it's budget in the first year, then yeah it's definitely a flop by anyone's standard. As for the kickstarter, well it just rode the hype train that Wastelands and PoE created. If Torment was the first KS out of the gate I very much doubt it would have made even a quarter of that money.

RPG Codes: Best RPG of all time

IGN: Place 13 on the best rpg list

Gamespot: "one of the greatest rpg's ever made"

why do I even list those go to the wiki article and read the reception/awards section

Planescape Torment is considered one of the best RPGs ever because the hip, trendy hive-mind of gaming journalism says so. Most of Torment's devotees online were probably twelve when it was released.

I'm not attacking Torment, although it was never my cup of tea, but the praise heaped on it is mystifying. Until you realise it's like the person who claims to have read a book he or she feels they must like to keep up with the herd.

• Like 4

sonsofgygax.JPG

Planescape Torment is considered one of the best RPGs ever because the hip, trendy hive-mind of gaming journalism says so. Most of Torment's devotees online were probably twelve when it was released.

I'm not attacking Torment, although it was never my cup of tea, but the praise heaped on it is mystifying. Until you realise it's like the person who claims to have read a book he or she feels they must like to keep up with the herd.

I would not discripe rpgCodex as the "trendy hive-mind of gaming journalism"

Edited by Mayama
  • Like 1

There's something fishy here: People in favour of quest xp only rarely pop in here and explain why their version of an xp system for PoE is better or superior. Very few posts expand the quest-only xp arguments. Perhaps they got tired of us, of reading all of our discussions about it, our arguing against it. After all, they are happy as things are, so why rock the boat?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

There's something fishy here: People in favour of quest xp only rarely pop in here and explain why their version of an xp system for PoE is better or superior. Very few posts expand the quest-only xp arguments. Perhaps they got tired of us, of reading all of our discussions about it, our arguing against it. After all, they are happy as things are, so why rock the boat?

This discussion has been done multiple times in past two years in these forums, and I just don't feel to repeat my opinion about it time and time again. Same thing as with romance topics, I told my opinion about it two years ago, but now I just can't be bothered to write it again when new topic pops up, even though developers decided to go against my side of that debate. 

And it don't help my apathy to write my opinion in this topics when there seems to be no room for constructive discussion as both sides have their opinions wrote in stone and there is even smallest hint that people would budge from their stance to one way or another. 

• Like 2

Elerond: We need more people like you, who do acknowledge nuances, sliding scales and constructive debate! :)

Having swayed myself from my earlier position in this particular case, I still believe in the benefits of continuing discussions, coming up with new ideas, and digging up old arguments, juxtaposing a few of them, only to get more info and views in order to form an updated opinion on whatever issue it is.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Okay, now we have a definitive answer to the question perhaps we should now write an open letter to Obsidian politly requesting that combat xp be employed even if it means putting back the release schedule.

No matter how many times cats fight, there's always plenty of kittens.

I gave it some thought aaaaaaaaand I don't care about it that much. Both's fine by me.

Okay, now we have a definitive answer to the question

Out of curiosity: when did the poll expired?

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...