Do you want experience from combat?

DnaCowboy

Poll: Do You Want Combat Experience Included In The Game?  

377 members have voted

1. 1. Do you the backer want experience from combat?

• Yay, how on earth could any game call itself a crpg without combat exp?
    • Nay, questing is king
  2. 2. Would you be happy to wait for combat xp to be implemented in the main game or wait and pledge towards it as an add-on?

• I'd prefer to have combat XP implemented in the main game although that means the game may be delayed
    • I would far prefer combat XP be added as the first add-on pledge
    • Would you be happy to wait for combat xp to be implemented in the main game or wait and pledge towards it as an add-on?
    • Alternative approach (which the voter will lay out in thread)
    • N/A

"some folks is trying to be funny. the point o' the quest/task based xp system used in PoE precludes giving specific awards for kills and lockpicks and other such activities. therefore, the comedians who says that they is not opposed to quest xp because they would gladly give kill and quest rewards is being jokers."

You still haven't explained why it's acceptable that PE has a worse XP system than SRR.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"some folks is trying to be funny. the point o' the quest/task based xp system used in PoE precludes giving specific awards for kills and lockpicks and other such activities. therefore, the comedians who says that they is not opposed to quest xp because they would gladly give kill and quest rewards is being jokers."

You still haven't explained why it's acceptable that PE has a worse XP system than SRR.

Because SRR uses Karma instead of XP. Otherwise, they are similar in that they reward for getting stuff done rather than doing stuff.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I haven't read all the discussions about this subject, but what I think it comes down to is the amount of encounters that aren't related to a goal that has the XP bound to its solving versus the amount of questrelated encounters that do provide it. I don't mind if there are some encounters here and there that simply work as a combat centric set piece to liven up the world space, that shouldn't distrub anyone, but if the bulk of the combat content is about that sort of trashmobbing and then colleting the beetle innards, rusty daggers or 20 "Dyr-Rubles" for reward, or if the amount of needed fighting is clearly not on par with the achieved reward, then I think there might be a problem about it. But I wouldn't know yet which way it'll lean in the end (can't remember any specific mention about this particularly). And I didn't vote, because my preferences will be based on the context rather than principle.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Because SRR uses Karma instead of XP. Otherwise, they are similar in that they reward for getting stuff done rather than doing stuff.

we applaud your verve. trying to be rational with vol? is noble, but ultimately pointless.

this is your Charge at Krojanty?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

They should probably just rename the game Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests because you don't receive any experience from combat, using skills, exploring or anything else other than doing the bidding of villagers. Exploration apparently wasn't part of thier design methodology.

It is hard to feel immersed in an RPG where the core activity is combat, yet stealth is king, because encounters are pointless and unrewarding chores with regard to both loot and XP. Obsidian might as well just remove the trash mobs too, because the mini-game of avoiding practically every encounter is not enjoyable.

Baldur's Gate was about combat and exploration, but I guess combat and exploration aren't important anymore.

• Like 2

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

Once I´ve completed a rp-game for the first time, doing the same trash mobs over and over again just for the levelUPs!-sake became boring pretty soon. On replays, I skipped as much trash content as I possibly could. What matters to me were differencies in dialogue, quests and ending.

or you can accept that a poll such as this represents only the barest fraction o' purchasers and that regardless o' poll results the developers will be more interested in how QA folks actual play the game and alter their behaviors based on quest xp rewards... meaning this is largely a pointless endeavour. nevertheless, it don't hurt to do yet another poll on the same issue that has zero chance o' being changed at this point regardless o' results, so knock yourselves out.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't add a vote

Why do we talk like we are a third year elementary student writing shakespeare.

HA! Not So Fun Trying To Understand What You're Saying!

They should probably just rename the game Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests because you don't receive any experience from combat, using skills, exploring or anything else other than doing the bidding of villagers. Exploration apparently wasn't part of thier design methodology.

It is hard to feel immersed in an RPG where the core activity is combat, yet stealth is king, because encounters are pointless and unrewarding chores with regard to both loot and XP. Obsidian might as well just remove the trash mobs too, because the mini-game of avoiding practically every encounter is not enjoyable.

Baldur's Gate was about combat and exploration, but I guess combat and exploration aren't important anymore.

Oh you.. :rolleyes:

FYI: The last poll was locked for reaching 500 posts.. not sure how he can bump it. Unless theres ANOTHER combat xp poll running around here..

Edited by Immortalis
  • Like 1

From George Ziets @ http://new.spring.me/#!/user/GZiets/timeline/responses

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

They should probably just rename the game Josh Sawyer's & Tim Cain's Quest: The Quest for Quests because you don't receive any experience from combat, using skills, exploring or anything else other than doing the bidding of villagers. Exploration apparently wasn't part of thier design methodology.

complete fanciful, but somewhat amusing, private joker. nevertheless, we fixed your hypothetical game title to be more appropriate. am doubting the folks at codex would be quite so appalled if correct(ed) title were utilized.

"Why do we talk like we are a third year elementary student writing shakespeare.

"HA! Not So Fun UndersWtanding hat You're Saying!"

how very original. doesn't make you seem ridiculous predictable or anything like that.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I love how when there's a debate thread, it's "Obsidian is ignoring the screaming majority that want combat XP! Look at everyone saying they want it!".  As soon as there's a poll that goes against combat XP it's "Obviously polls aren't representative at all and just a bunch of garbage!".  Not that it matters anyway, which makes this kind of silly ~Vox Populi~ circus even funnier.

Edited by Panteleimon
  • Like 4

or you can accept that a poll such as this represents only the barest fraction o' purchasers and that regardless o' poll results the developers will be more interested in how QA folks actual play the game and alter their behaviors based on quest xp rewards... meaning this is largely a pointless endeavour. nevertheless, it don't hurt to do yet another poll on the same issue that has zero chance o' being changed at this point regardless o' results, so knock yourselves out.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't add a vote

HA! Not So Fun Understanding What You're Saying!

Role playing an orc?

• Like 2

I love how when there's a debate thread, it's "Obsidian is ignoring the screaming majority that want combat XP! Look at everyone saying they want it!".  As soon as there's a poll that goes against combat XP it's "Obviously polls aren't representative at all and just a bunch of garbage!".  Not that it matters anyway, which makes this even funnier.

This, exactly.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't add a vote

Role playing an orc?

It's really hard for me to understand what he's talking about.. He's been doing it for years and I usually just skip over his posts.

Quest-based XP and a modest amount of random XP for killing critters satisfies everyone

No, it doesn't. There are reasons why people specifically don't want Kill-XP in the game.

Which can be solved but that takes too much logic on your end. *Flings poo*

I love how when there's a debate thread, it's "Obsidian is ignoring the screaming majority that want combat XP! Look at everyone saying they want it!".  As soon as there's a poll that goes against combat XP it's "Obviously polls aren't representative at all and just a bunch of garbage!".  Not that it matters anyway, which makes this kind of silly "Vox Populi" circus even funnier.

Almost the exact opposite happened in the last thread.. the votes were heavily biased in favor of combat xp last I checked.. and althought objective based xp wasn't far behind.. almost NOBODY wanted the current system..

The first person to say polls are inherently flawed was me and it had nothing to do with the results.. it was me recognizing that even if Combat XP was the winning selection, I don't expect obsidian to make a change based on a forum poll.. only register people aren't happy with the current direction.

Way to misquote and skew reality to fit your imaginary world.

Edited by Immortalis
  • Like 1

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

And why are you, of all people, now giving me the roll-eyes?

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

And why are you, of all people, now giving me the roll-eyes?

Your posts always make me laugh. You have a really dry wit.. I wish I was as snarky as you. Haha :woot:

• Like 2

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't add a vote

If everything we vote on or write is so meaningless, then why are you even here on the forum?

~~~~~~~~~~~

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't add a vote

Role playing an orc?

not orc. that were the inside joke forced on us by biowarians. they thought it were amusing that everybody at the old Co'6 interplay message boards assumed orc, so they made the ToB Gromnir an orc. now, thanks to dave, we is stuck with orc label regardless o' whatever we might say or do. yes, dave were very funny. haha.

to be fair, we were expecting to be depicted as an inconsequential flatulent xvart, so call the ToB inclusion as an orc a win for Gromnir?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

GrinningReaper659: LOL! They all left in disappointment, I'm guessing. I already know a few, which is really sad. If only the devs had commented on this fast, on their stance on the xp system in practice, and also given us some more definitive pointers on what can or can not be changed.

Yep, a lot of people have left, during the Kickstarter even. They could smell the foulness of these decisions miles away. I wish my RPG sniffer was as good as theirs. (To my defense, I wasn't following the Kickstarter as closely as I should have)

~~~~~~~~~~~

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't add a vote

If everything we vote on or write is so meaningless, then why are you even here on the forum?

see, now your buddy sart wants examples o' strawman and you give such a great example when he ain't even here. sad.

who said, "everything we vote on or write is so meaningless" other than you?

change xp mechanic at this late date when sawyer and cain approve quest xp, and given that qa folks gameplay reveals that there is no problem with quest xp, makes This issue pointless for debate. thinks that a board poll will achieve results regarding this issue is even more ludicrous. 

however, thanks for helping us illustrate a common fallacy. we couldn't have conjured up a better example that captures the magnitude and silliness you were so generous to be offering.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

GrinningReaper659: LOL! They all left in disappointment, I'm guessing. I already know a few, which is really sad. If only the devs had commented on this fast, on their stance on the xp system in practice, and also given us some more definitive pointers on what can or can not be changed.

Yep, a lot of people have left, during the Kickstarter even. They could smell the foulness of these decisions miles away. I wish my RPG sniffer was as good as theirs. (To my defense, I wasn't following the Kickstarter as closely as I should have)

Good thing for you that you're not out any money, then. Unless I'm mistaken?

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't add a vote

I believe he's speaking to ~Le XP Debate~ specifically.  Ihr krieg ist vorbei, ok?

Edited by Panteleimon

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't add a vote

I believe he's speaking to ~Le XP Debate~ specifically.  Ihr krieg ist vorbei, ok?

I have nothing against Gromnir at all.. he seems like a nice guy.. but I will never begrudge someone who is confused about what he is saying.. I have no idea half the time what Gromnir is talking about.. all I know is he is having a lot of good fun doing it.

I hope he knows that when debating topics "in-Character" he is just asking for misinterpretation.. lol :yes:

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't add a vote

I have nothing against Gromnir at all.. he seems like a nice guy.. but I will never begrudge someone who is confused about what he is saying.. I have no idea half the time what Gromnir is talking about.. all I know is he is having a lot of good fun doing it.

I hope he knows that when debating topics "in-Character" he is just asking for misinterpretation.. lol :yes:

experience reveals that there is far less misinterpretation than you might expect. what is common is the stuff such as,

"Why do we talk like we are a third year elementary student writing shakespeare.

"HA! Not So Fun Understanding What You're Saying!"

in point o' fact, the Gromnir shtick is kinda a foolproof schmuck detector.

and am betting you understood this post quite well.

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't add a vote

experience reveals that there is far less misinterpretation than you might expect. what is common is the stuff such as,

"HA! Not So Fun Understanding What You're Saying!"

in point o' fact, the Gromnir shtick is kinda a foolproof schmuck detector.

and am betting you understood this post quite well.

HA! Good Fun!

I take back you being a nice guy :woot:... Do you have illusions that your writing style is fully legible to everyone?  Sometimes you speak quite clearly.. but when you get going with all your ye olde orc talk coupled with almost no grammatical structure or spell checking..

I understand english is not your first language..

I don't wanna be a grammar nazi but common.. I really don't understand you most of the time.. Want me to lie? Maybe I can catch the jist of it if I read closely but you jump around all over the place..