Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pretty disappointed, this launches in December?

• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Q1 2015 makes more sense. I'd be cool with that.

• GreyFox, Sensuki, Seari and 5 others like this

Yonjuro

Yonjuro

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 866 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Bugs, giant, glaring, basic gameplay bugs are everywhere...

A lot of the wonkiness of the beta can be due to a very small number of bugs. There is an inventory bug that looks like it is corrupting memory. Once that happens, all bets are off. Essentially, a piece of code that is supposed to be writing in one place in memory ends up writing in another, unrelated, place and hilarity ensues.

If you have the beta, double click on an inventory item enough times and you get two of them - repeat as desired - sell one of the items and all of them go away. I haven't seen the code, but this looks like there is a race condition (two threads modifying the inventory; finishing out of order due to process scheduling) causing a corruption of the game state (two different pieces of data pointing at the same physical memory).

That is only a guess based on what I see on the screen - but if it's anything like that - that one bug can cause a lot of the instability that you can see in the beta. So, it may not be that 'bugs are everywhere' it may be that 'one bug is everywhere'.

If you play without saving/loading very often, always quit and restart before you load and are careful not to double click anything or stack and unstack things in inventory, the game is actually pretty stable. You can complete all 4 of the quests in multiple ways. 

• Monte Carlo, Osvir, Danathion and 2 others like this

Mayama

Mayama

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 550 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

If you play without saving/loading very often, always quit and restart before you load and are careful not to double click anything or stack and unstack things in inventory, the game is actually pretty stable. You can complete all 4 of the quests in multiple ways. 

Yeah visiting the bug forum bevor whining would help alot :p

Helm

Helm

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 714 posts

I have experience in beta testing numerous other RPGs, Wasteland 2, D:OS, Blackgaurds, Might & Magic X, Dead State, and so on (yeah, i'm an RPG freak). This game is by far the worst of the bunch that I have playtested and is obviously still in a pre-alpha state, I wouldn't be surprised if what we are playing is the first playable build.

There is a lot of fixing that needs to be done, even a lot of the assets are missing; in my opinion the mechanics and systems design is also very (very, very) underwhelming. People who think that this could still be released in Q4/2015 or even Q1/2015 are being wildly optimistic IMO.

• Seari likes this

Quadrone

Quadrone

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

There is a lot of fixing that needs to be done, even a lot of the assets are missing; in my opinion the mechanics and systems design is also very (very, very) underwhelming. People who think that this could still be released in Q4/2015 or even Q1/2015 are being wildly optimistic IMO.

I guess we're **** outta luck then, because there is no way Obsidian will pay for continued development out of their own pockets past Q1 2015. If even past December at all.

• Panteleimon likes this

Quantics

Quantics

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

bugtracker 

this !

Lasweetlife

Lasweetlife

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I guess we're **** outta luck then, because there is no way Obsidian will pay for continued development out of their own pockets past Q1 2015. If even past December at all.

Attached File  image.jpg   63.94KB   2 downloads
  • Dray Truoc, Flow and mudd1 like this

Helm

Helm

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 714 posts

Who knows, Inxile scratched together enough funds to develop Wasteland 2 for one more year.

khermann

khermann

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Some people have been found to susceptible to "Early Access", "Backer Beta", and other pathogens. Typical symptoms include bug bite marks, hallucinations, aggressive episodes, mood swings. These people shouldn't enter any such program UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Treatment:

Completely ignore the game while it is in the making, live a happy, content, successful life until the game comes out, then enjoy it.

This guy..... i like this guy.  :thumbsup:

TrueMenace

TrueMenace

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 443 posts

I think when the next update comes out, playing through the Beta will be a different experience in a really good way. Just give them time iron out the bugs! 

Qiushui

Qiushui

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 72 posts

Obsidian are known for making buggy games, even on release. It's a monkey on their back I wish they would shake off someday.

That said, I still love (most of) their games.

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Divinity: Original Sin lived off of Early Access, and Wasteland 2 is soon to exit it.

The reason to their well polish and extended duration of development is thanks to Early Access. No denying it.

Obsidian could get 6 months extra+expansions. When they are finished with the basic "frame" of the code they should be able to move stuff around freely as they please without errors, and in 6 months they could develop a lot of content.

They are also talking about potential sequels and expanding the world into other perspectives into the future (First person RP? Maybe RTS? Maybe more RPG?). IIRC, Feargus mentioned something about an idea for an open world first person RPG for the Eternity/Eora-verse.

Helm

Helm

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 714 posts

Some people have been found to susceptible to "Early Access", "Backer Beta", and other pathogens. Typical symptoms include bug bite marks, hallucinations, aggressive episodes, mood swings. These people shouldn't enter any such program UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
Treatment: 
Completely ignore the game while it is in the making, live a happy, content, successful life until the game comes out, then enjoy it.

This guy..... i like this guy.  :thumbsup:

He is wrong though, the developers want criticism, because it is constructive and helps them improve the game. The developers are (well, should be) very capable of extrapolating based on the feedback they receive. Anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot. Obsidian actually asked us to lay it on them - so we did.

Keep on criticizing what you don't like and watch the magic happen. Just don't throw any fits and call the developers retarded **** or something, that is not constructive. I do admit though that there is a disproportionately high amount of controversy surrounding this game, but that is their own fault. If you promise something, then you better make it happen.

Edited by Helm, 28 August 2014 - 01:27 PM.

• Seari, Danathion and Monocled Gamer like this

Panteleimon

Panteleimon

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 152 posts

Just don't throw any fits and call the developers retarded **** or something, that is not constructive. I do admit though that there is a disproportionately high amount of controversy surrounding this game, but that is their own fault. If you promise something, then you better make it happen.

That's really rich coming from you. All this time I thought "retarded" was one of your favorite pejoratives.

Endrosz

Endrosz

Silent Prospector of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Steam:endrosz

He is wrong though, the developers want criticism, because it is constructive and helps them improve the game. The developers are (well, should be) very capable of extrapolating based on the feedback they receive. Anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot. Obsidian actually asked us to lay it on them - so we did.

If somebody were to say everyone should leave alone betas, then yes, he would be an idiot. I didn't say that, however.

You missed the part that says "some people".  I truly, honestly believe that some people are just unable to deal properly with a beta process and should leave it alone for their own sake and for everyone else's sake. Everyone else is welcome provide feedback, no matter how harsh it is.

Based on what the OP wrote, I gave him the genuine advice of staying away from the PoE beta. I don't say this to anyone who criticizes the game.

Edited by Endrosz, 28 August 2014 - 01:40 PM.

• Helm, CWagner and Matt516 like this

Helm

Helm

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 714 posts

That's really rich coming from you. All this time I thought "retarded" was one of your favorite pejoratives.

I just want this game to be the best it can be. I wouldn't waste my time on these forums if the game was released in disastrous state and therefore couldn't be substantially improved anymore.

BTW Feel free to make a list of my post where I have insulted the developers or any of the other fans. Have fun.

Mike-nWo

Mike-nWo

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Beta of Wasteland 2 launched last year in December and the final game will be released in September.

Perhaps the Beta of Pillars of Eternity will also last for 9 Months if its needed. They never announced a final release date for the full game because it depends how well the beta runs.

khermann

khermann

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
@Helm:
"He is wrong though"
No, he is not wrong, he's just an as*hole.

He's got his opinion of who I am and how I should mamage my experience with the beta and he is totally entitled to them.

I have the freedom to do whatever I want in this respect.

I don't see a problem.
Edited: words

Edited by khermann, 28 August 2014 - 02:38 PM.

• Helm and Danathion like this

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1444 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

So let me try this again. I apologize in advance for the cynicism below, but I am compelled to say my piece.

This game is supposed to launch at the end of the year, is that right? "Winter 2014" , "December 2014"

I can't see how that is possible given where the game is at today.

Bugs, giant, glaring, basic gameplay bugs are everywhere. Subscribe to the Bug forum and you'll see, or better yet, just play the game. I'm old by gamer standards, older than some of the developers, and I've playtested my share of games. I expected more from a game that is only a few months away from release, a lot more.

It's impossible to play the game and feel like the backers are THE QA for this game, yet we're not even given a bugtracker, only a forum that buries threads in to oblivion.

The fit and finish is abysmal for a beta, in my opinion, with notable exception to the obviously heavy investment in aesthetic backgrounds and some assets. There obviously has been a heavy emphasis on developing the story archs and dialogs, too, which is great. But having core mechanical issues like pathfinding, from this team, is hard to excuse - this should be a slam dunk, not to say that pathfinding is easy, but look at who we're talking about here... this should have been a priority.

The outdoor scale is off. I know IW games don't do 1:1 scaling in outdoor environments but it is just off, walking around town feels like a group of giants romping around a dollhouse-scaled town. I may be in the vast minority in this, but for me it's enough to disrupt immersion. 

The feeling I get is that the development has wandered down paths of priorities that they were most interested in, making "cool looking stuff" and "cool stories" - which is awesome! Don't get me wrong, but while working hard to generate content, the game mechanics have been relegated to "just do enough so we can see our content, we'll work out the playability issues later once we get our playtesters (backers) in"

I hate to sound so cynical, I want this game to be a huge success, but I'm not really interested in struggling through broken game after broken game the throwing "bug reports" down a forum black-hole. I would be spending almost as much time documenting problems as I would playing. I didn't back this game for the "insider" honor to be a primary playtester and bug reporter.

So take this all as "wah wah don't play if you can't handle it and don't want to contribute to the quality of the game" (thought I already HAVE contributed to the quality of the game, quite a lot, thank you very much), or, to be more fair : that I'm simply not a good candidate for this backer beta and am disappointed with the technical acumen applied thus far to the mechanics and stability so close to release.

I hope the team is skilled and managed well enough to get in the coverage needed before launch .. from my perspective, however, it doesn't look promising. I truly hope I am surprised and would be so delighted to be wrong.

I'll probably check back in after a patch or two, but until we get a bugtracker and the game isn't constantly telling me to search the bug forum, see if the bug has been reported, and enter a 'new'  bug or add to that thread, I simply won't be participating in bug reports.

Good luck everyone, for what it's worth the parts of the game that do work predictably I am reasonably pleased with it and the content.

Hey there khermann, my thoughts are not dissimilar to yours.

What I really find interesting though is the reactions this thread has gotten over 3 pages and change. I created a very similar thread shortly after the beta was released, and was pretty much raked over the coals for it. I was called the "biggest drama queen on the forum" by one thoughtful poster, and it was insinuated by several others that my intelligence was... lacking.

So here you are, making a very similar assertion. And while not everyone agrees with you, plenty do, and no one really seems to be openly challenging you much less insulting you. So I'm wondering if your forum name and avatar (Jesus with a big ole gun) are somehow my favorable than mine, or if I simply made the mistake of calling these concerns out before everyone's optimism-meters had had a chance to catch up with reality?

This is more of a rhetorical question, really. Don't mind me or my ruminations.

• Tuckey likes this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3021 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm disappointed there isn't a codpiece equipment slot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users