Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pretty disappointed, this launches in December?

• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Why was this thread of all the threads out there necro'd?  AGAIN?

Stun

Stun

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm pretty disappointed, this launches on the 26th?

Why can't they just launch it tonight?

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm pretty disappointed, this launches on the 26th?

Yeah Stun, it clearly needs to be delayed.  No way it will be ready by the 26th.  January 2016 or bust.

Edited by Karkarov, 24 March 2015 - 05:36 PM.

Voss

Voss

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 750 posts

No one wants stupid AI targeting, but AI is not some magic thing that you can design and it thinks like a human. Good AI is deterministic and has a robust set of conditions.

In IWD:HoW, enemies will re-acquire targets if you try and kite them around. Many enemies in Pillars of Eternity just follow the original unit they targeted (eg. Beetles) so you can just run around in circles and kite that enemy around. Engagement gives the player an easy means of overriding AI targeting and forcing the AI to perform a certain action. It makes it easier for newer players, but for people who moved around in the IE games it really restricts what you can do in an encounter, and takes a lot of thought of it.

I think you are missing the importance difference between PoE and a DnD set game. In seeking Tabletop fidelity, the IE DnD games had a lot of the same imbalances built into it that made it so that there were no tanks. DnD games have no tanks, everyone had the ability to avoid or mitigate damage (or they were decidingly unoptimal and taking them was a bad idea). In PoE, the same cannot be true. A mage cannot magic himself into immunity in PoE and still nuke everyone with a fireball (or a meteor strike) like you could in BG. Thus, you have a need for an aggro mechanic.

You can tank in most of the IE games just fine. Most of the time, enemies go for the first thing they see or the first that hits them.  That is totally under player control. And you can line up your front line to intercept people chasing your fireballing wizard, and they will switch targets.  An engagement mechanic  (or aggro mechanic, which is even worse) is 100% not needed. 

Or even more bizarrely, in the IE games you can fight at a choke point, and the enemies will settle in and fight.  I don't know if its still true in the final version, but in bb480, you can see several videos where PoE enemies try and fail to find a path to a target, and wander around the combat (and back again) vainly seeking to fight whichever target they happen to be fixated on, even if another target is nearby.

This is just garbage AI, and has nothing to do with aggro or engagement.

@releasing tonight sarcasm- obviously, they have to get the day 1 patch done.

Edited by Voss, 24 March 2015 - 05:38 PM.

khermann

khermann

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah i really wish the game were coming out, like, right now. I have tomorrow off from work. 

either way, looking forward to it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users