Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pretty disappointed, this launches in December?

• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

GreyFox

GreyFox

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oh and I'd rather this game come out next year if it means the Fighter will be able to actually fight and they have time to implement most of Sensuki's ideas/requests.

They can't make run speed any slower, it would be ridiculously slow at that point.

2bxkqc.jpg

Edited by GreyFox, 28 August 2014 - 09:53 AM.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1899 posts

Consecutive Titles I assume?

That's too bad, AI is pretty crucial in a combat game.

Metabot

Metabot

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Totally serious. Maybe we're playing different games but it seems like my characters are running through molasses unless they get haste from the chanter.
  • sb5 likes this

GreyFox

GreyFox

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Totally serious. Maybe we're playing different games but it seems like my characters are running through molasses unless they get haste from the chanter.

Or maybe you pressed slo mo without realizing it as you are literally the only person who has said the characters move too slow.

• Simon280586, Metabot, Seari and 1 other like this

Metabot

Metabot

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Nope didn't hit slow motion lol. They run at the speed of walking imo.

GreyFox

GreyFox

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Nope didn't hit slow motion lol. They run at the speed of walking imo.

Maybe you power walk everywhere you go so whatever floats yer boat...some people work that way.

That isn't the case for most people though *shrug* not sure what to tell ya hipsters gonna hipster I guess  :biggrin: (I'm kidding!)

Bulkbu

Bulkbu

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts

It will all boil down to how easily (and how fast) bugs and balancing problems can be fixed.

Still, I wonder how a small and unknown developer like "Larian Studios" could create an outstanding crpg (Divinity:Original Sin) with a kickstarter funding of 940k, yet a giant with veterans of the industry, such as Obsidian, struggles coming up with a superb product even though they had 4 times the budget.

The 2D artwork is truely amazing in PoE (except for the skill icons and symbols), the writing and dialogues (for what I have seen) are really good as well, but in almost all other areas problems are looming large.

Yes, yes, it's a beta. Let's see how 1.0 will look like on release day.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2903 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Divinity was only partially crowd funded. Their overall budget is similar to Eternity's.
  • Simon280586 likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
No it was more.
  • Sarex likes this

Norida

Norida

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts

It will all boil down to how easily (and how fast) bugs and balancing problems can be fixed.

Still, I wonder how a small and unknown developer like "Larian Studios" could create an outstanding crpg (Divinity:Original Sin) with a kickstarter funding of 940k, yet a giant with veterans of the industry, such as Obsidian, struggles coming up with a superb product even though they had 4 times the budget.

The 2D artwork is truely amazing in PoE (except for the skill icons and symbols), the writing and dialogues (for what I have seen) are really good as well, but in almost all other areas problems are looming large.

Yes, yes, it's a beta. Let's see how 1.0 will look like on release day.

You are so wrong..... divinity original sin had a funding of 4 millions (1 million trough kickstarter and 3 trough additionals loans) so it had the same budget as PoE.

Also Larian studio is also a veteran company (96).

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2903 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I stand corrected.

Endrosz

Endrosz

Silent Prospector of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Steam:endrosz

I hate to sound so cynical, I want this game to be a huge success, but I'm not really interested in struggling through broken game after broken game the throwing "bug reports" down a forum black-hole. I would be spending almost as much time documenting problems as I would playing. I didn't back this game for the "insider" honor to be a primary playtester and bug reporter.

Medical advice:

Some people have been found to susceptible to "Early Access", "Backer Beta", and other pathogens. Typical symptoms include bug bite marks, hallucinations, aggressive episodes, mood swings. These people shouldn't enter any such program UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Treatment:

Completely ignore the game while it is in the making, live a happy, content, successful life until the game comes out, then enjoy it.

• Starwars, Simon280586, Infinitron and 8 others like this

Mayama

Mayama

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 550 posts

Everyone here seems to forget the most important thing, this game has guns but where is my high noon showdown!!!

• Namutree likes this

Luridis

Luridis

Nightfall of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Just an FYI: The build we're testing is probably a month old, maybe two... So, I'll tell you what I expect: The first patch will probably address about half the concerns raised, and it's most likely the fixes are not the result of feedback. That is to say, they have likely already been working on the biggest hiccups for at least a month, possibly two.

Give them a chance man, don't worry so much. If 60% of the issues aren't cleaned up by the second patch, that's the point at which I would start to worry.

Edited by Luridis, 28 August 2014 - 10:45 AM.

• Uomoz, illathid, Lasweetlife and 2 others like this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

@Luridis I'll wait for the second update too. They already had their hands full when the Beta was released. I think they will leave some of the problems we noticed to fix after the first update.

Quadrone

Quadrone

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Just an FYI: The build we're testing is probably a month old, maybe two... So, I'll tell you what I expect: The first patch will probably address about half the concerns raised, and it's most likely the fixes are not the result of feedback. That is to say, they have likely already been working on the biggest hiccups for at least a month, possibly two.

Give them a chance man, don't worry so much. If 60% of the issues aren't cleaned up by the second patch, that's the point at which I would start to worry.

I was thinking along the same lines as you.

While a lot of the criticism in this forum is very much understandable considering the state of the beta, I still feel that there is a lot of doomsaying going on as well.

Currently we just can't gauge at what speed Obsidian is able to implement missing assets and fix bugs.

At least wait until one patch is released, if that doesn't fix enough stuff to make a difference then everyone can start lamenting to their hearts content.

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The expectations for this one are just too high. Obsidian are partly to blame for that since they used supahtrueIE iwdcombatPstwritingBGworld to promote the game. It's still a 4 mln game, not a 40 one. I think it is expected that they just want to get the basics right first. That's why system is so streamlined imo. And inventory and UI is probably just a quick mishmash to make game presentable and playable. I remember Arcanum inventory when game was in beta, a few screenshots, it looked completely different than it was on release. Same goes for gameplay really.
Still there are some things in core design that people don't like and pointed out, I think devs would change them eventually.

• Monocled Gamer likes this

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4355 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Guys no need to stress, I can guarantee you the game will have very few bugs in the next 24 months and all of this concern will just be a bad memory :p

Malekith

Malekith

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 865 posts

Guys no need to stress, I can guarantee you the game will have very few bugs in the next 24 months and all of this concern will just be a bad memory :p

True dat

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

@Title: This does not release in December. Pillars of Eternity has been said to be released in December, but I wouldn't mind it if an Early Access was opened publically as soon as we, the first testers, can make sure that it is reasonably stable. This way it releases onto Steam as a playable product (unlike many Early Access' releases) and Obsidian can generate more revenue and create more content into Pillars of Eternity... til maybe Early (Jan-Mar) 2015~ just saying I wouldn't mind it as it would give Obsidian more resources, if they feel up to it :)

@OP: Very fair points :) can't disagree, the Beta is in a state of instability, clearly. Be here when the "flow" begins again (next update) and you'll read on better I think. There's also "Known Issues" (sig). Becomes like a combat log almost :p I don't want Pillars of Eternity to be released in the state it is in either. I am overjoyed to play it, as I have been waiting and discussing for now almost 2 years. I know that it is a W.I.P (Work In Progress) prototype. Prototype. I do see where the design is sort of heading, the general direction of it, and I'm loving it <3 

Edited by Osvir, 28 August 2014 - 11:40 AM.

• JFSOCC likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users