Pretty disappointed, this launches in December?

khermann

and this little boys, is why you should say everything you are not 100% sure about in a NICE tone, because there might be a GOOD reason why things are as they are

and in the end you won't look half as much as an "douchebag" (quotation from south park: stick of truth) if you had worded your initial thoughs in a nice way...

something so hard to do on the internet for so many people apparently, and i'll never know why

I'm gonna go with passionate. Don't be such a whinny snob.

• Like 4

OP: Which games have you playtested? Were they triple-A games with "open betas"?

Cuz you know - not the same thing.

I just want to reply to this "it's a beta" or "it's something different" line of excuse-making.

The level of things missing from the game and the amount of things not working, and the stuff that is basically sure to be in the game but the general view is that it's not good etc...

Is WAY to much for a game that's suppose to come out in 3 months time.

I backed this project, I want my BG successor great game, but unless they push it back a few  months, I think I'm (me, personally) in for a massive disappointment.

OP: Which games have you playtested? Were they triple-A games with "open betas"?

Cuz you know - not the same thing.

I just want to reply to this "it's a beta" or "it's something different" line of excuse-making.

The level of things missing from the game and the amount of things not working, and the stuff that is basically sure to be in the game but the general view is that it's not good etc...

Is WAY to much for a game that's suppose to come out in 3 months time.

I backed this project, I want my BG successor great game, but unless they push it back a few  months, I think I'm (me, personally) in for a massive disappointment.

Whats missing?

Or do you only mean placeholder stuff?

Edited by C2B

Guys, how about we let Obsidian worry about the release date. None of us have enough information to make an educated guess about how far in calender time we realistically are. Too many unknowns: how many people are on the project ATM, who is working on what, how efficient they are, are they working on their own code or somebody else's, how robust their QA pipeline is, what the overall state of the code is (i.e., how easy is it to work with), and so on.

Seriously, we don't.

• Like 11

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Guys, how about we let Obsidian worry about the release date. None of us have enough information to make an educated guess about how far in calender time we realistically are. Too many unknowns: how many people are on the project ATM, who is working on what, how efficient they are, are they working on their own code or somebody else's, how robust their QA pipeline is, what the overall state of the code is (i.e., how easy is it to work with), and so on.

Seriously, we don't.

Who are you to bring reason and logic to the table? Fie! A pox on you! Out, heretic, out!

• Like 4

I'd be surprised if it launches on time, just because I see a lot of bugs, a lot of things that need redesigning (specifically UI inconsistencies and annoying things like portrait selection), a lot of issues with the sound design, and a terrible combat system that needs a rework. The attribute system is also a little weird, bad naming of attributes (an easy fix I guess), but while it's meant to avoid certain builds for certain classes, it's created 1 build for every single class, so essentially 1 best build in the game for anyone, so that needs to be sorted out.

I'm no game dev so if they keep telling us it's a late 2014 release date still then I trust them they know how to fix this on time, but I hope they know just how much freaking work needs to be done on this thing and have read all the beta feedback and seriously considered it all. It's far from a "polish it up based on beta feedback" situation, it's a lot more work than that, at least to make this a 9-10/10 game as opposed to a 6

Edited by Bli1942

Well, we should see a new build in action within next 12 hours if all predictions about Wednesday update are true so leave your doomsday predictions at least until we see how much they fixed in 2+ weeks. 

Not next 12 hours. They're in the Pacific Time zone, so it could be another 15 hours or more (It's currently only 8:30 AM here).

*edit* I really need to finish my thoughts. What I meant to add is that they didn't make a hard promise that there would be a patch today, so it could well be tomorrow. So yeah, 15+ hours.

*edit 2* Woah, update: looks like it will be today, barring anything major. See This Thread (post by IndiraLightfoot). I bow to your superior insight, archangel979!

Edited by Ink Blot

The entire kickstarter was a misrepresentation in my view.

What we were sold: did you love IE games? We're making an awesome IE-like game that you will love and be familiar with

What appears to be happening: We're reinventing everything and taking a lot of design risks because licensing (or just cuz? Or hubris?). We'll do our best to make it IE like but really it's just a big experimwnt to see if we can generate new code IP and if we are lucky license it. If you like it great but if not, wait till you see the patches and the sequel - thise will totally wow you"

They are so proud of building "from scratch" like that is a good thing for the release.

Sorry for the negativity, i really am far more entertained with this mess than I am angry or frustrated.

At this point, all we have is hope and all they have is our money. That's how a kickstarter works, folks. Suck it up and make way for the cheerleaders

• Like 2

Sometimes the truth hurts, and it isn't like the dude hasn't paid for the privilege of having a moan.

I too am having significant WTF moments about a boatload of design decisions. And the wailing chorus of shills trying to shut up doubters won't change that.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Pretty good, @khermann. I'd rate that at about 350 millihelms.

LOL. Sorry guys, i was venting because i was sitting here laughing at my attempts to discern the build/attribute logic and combat... Oh, the combat.

It's a beta. Let's all hold hands.

• Like 1

Sometimes the truth hurts, and it isn't like the dude hasn't paid for the privilege of having a moan.

I too am having significant WTF moments about a boatload of design decisions. And the wailing chorus of shills trying to shut up doubters won't change that.

It's not about the money for me, backing a kickstarter yyou have to be ready to accept you threw your money down a well, but i appreciate the thought.

Now.. If we want to talk about a real investment risk... Star Citizen... My as* hurts thinking about how much money i already have, and will, pay for that game. /digress

• Like 1

khermann: Your post right there would fit right in under the "Do they even listen"-thread right now, just saying. :)

I'll be honest with you, i don't expect them to listen much, especially if they are GA in three months. And I really, frankly, don't care.

As I said before, I want them to make their vision and whatever that is I want it to be high quality. Their vision seems muddled and unclear, but that could just be the bugs talking, but the lore and backer updates were not very inspiring imo... and the quality.. Well, its just a beta right? Yeeeup, we'll go with that.

Edited by khermann

It's not about the money for me, backing a kickstarter yyou have to be ready to accept you threw your money down a well, but i appreciate the thought.

Now.. If we want to talk about a real investment risk... Star Citizen... My as* hurts thinking about how much money i already have, and will, pay for that game. /digress

I believe there are ointments you can get to help with that.

• Like 2

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Torment Tides of Numenera, is such risk for me, as I decided to go with one of the "god" tiers, which is caused me to avoid their message board, as I am not sure if I want to know too much details before it is too late do anything but moan. Although from their updates I get such picture that their encounter (crisis like they call it) system is more in direction what I hoped PoE to offer. 

• Like 1

I love the idea of the Crises in T:ToN. 

They're also totally not what you'd expect to find in an IE successor.

The thing with PS:T is that that game's distinguishing characteristics really don't have much to do with the engine. It's all in the writing and art direction, and those could be executed in almost any medium—book, comic, film, first-person, third-person, top-down, real-time, turn-based, you name it. So they have a lot more freedom about gameplay than the P:E team ever did, as these threads demonstrate.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

So? This is PoE. It contains a boatload of stuff you wouldn't expect to find in an IE successor.
That makes no sense at all in the context of the quote.

You do realize he was talking about player expectations, right? Expectations that Obsidian clearly and repeatedly set leading up to and throughout the Kickstarter.

Edit: a word

Edited by khermann
  • Like 1

The world of Pillars of Eternity Gloom is a sad and benighted place. The sky is gray, the beta forum is ablaze, and a new tragedy lies around every beta build. Bugs, unbalances, placeholders, and packs of rabid stone-eating beetles -- just when it seems like things can't get any worse, they do.

2easawm.png

No offense meant to anyone.

• Like 5

I love the idea of the Crises in T:ToN. 

The thing with PS:T is that that game's distinguishing characteristics really don't have much to do with the engine. It's all in the writing and art direction, and those could be executed in almost any medium—book, comic, film, first-person, third-person, top-down, real-time, turn-based, you name it. So they have a lot more freedom about gameplay than the P:E team ever did, as these threads demonstrate.

Inxile were very clear about their vision for T:ToN straight from the beginning. Nothing has changed either.

Obsidian is giving us something much different than what they promised.

Major difference.

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.